HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #5,971 of 21,868
Quote:

I actually prefer solid state amps with the HE6, and with orthos in general.  If it was something like a Sennheiser, I'd generally prefer the tube amp.

If you want something just for the HE6, you can get an Aleph 3 or Aleph 30 used for about $800-1200.  Ordinarily solid state isn't anything to write home about, but those are Nelson Pass units which are pretty legendary.  Just Google for reviews on Nelson Pass Aleph to see what I'm talking about.

The last several pages of the GS-1 thread has discussion on the new power modules for the GS-1 and GS-X.  I think Justin is estimating September.  If it was the BHSE, then the timetable is generally unpredictable, but Headamp seems better about shipping their dynamic units on schedule.  A GS-X is one of the best solid state headamps on the market.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/112029/the-gs-1-thread

Ok, did you hear the Mjolnir?

I'll check the Aleph now and read a bit about it, I don't know much about it.
It sounds especially good with HE-6?

I do not want to wait though till September.
So I'll keep the GS-X new modules in mind for later on, depending on reviews.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #5,972 of 21,868
I'm not entirely convinced that the Aleph amps are that good to power the HE-6. What I meant is the audio quality not power. It is an SS amp. I've had SS amps and listened to speaker amps in the past (Krell, Mark Levinson, Adcom, Cello, Linn), on speakers. Tubes are just different.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #5,975 of 21,868
I haven't heard the Mjolnir, but I've read about too many defective Schiit products to feel comfortable recommending any Schiit gear for early adoption.

I have a First Watt which is the next generation of amps after the Alephs.  There are a lot of folks here who have Nelson Pass amps with their HE6.  My First Watt sounds pretty amazing with the HE6.  Incredibly transparent, tons of impact, and really good low frequency resolution.

If you can control volume through your DAC, I'd get an Aleph 3 or Aleph 30, and hook your HE6 up to the speaker taps.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5,977 of 21,868
I respect Nelson Pass, I owned a preamp designed by him, FET 10, nice preamp but it was lean, I replaced it with a VTL Ultimate tube preamp. Accuracy is not musicality. Nelson Pass strives for accuracy at the expense of musicality

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #5,978 of 21,868
Quote:
I haven't heard the Mjolnir, but I've read about too many defective Schiit products to feel comfortable recommending any Schiit gear for early adoption.

I have a First Watt which is the next generation of amps after the Alephs.  There are a lot of folks here who have Nelson Pass amps with their HE6.  My First Watt sounds pretty amazing with the HE6.  Incredibly transparent, tons of impact, and really good low frequency resolution.

If you can control volume through your DAC, I'd get an Aleph 3 or Aleph 30, and hook your HE6 up to the speaker taps.

Hmm...I have an ODAC. No volume control. Not great either, is it?

The DAC is the next step after the amp, though.
After I spend all my money on an amp. I'll save for a new DAC.

I heard the ODAC stands strong against much mightier opponents though.

Would you say its a big difference between the First Watt and EF-6?

I'm reading about the Alephs now too...

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #5,982 of 21,868
In high end audio, the designers are just passing their view of what they feel is what it should be, at least from what I read in the past, so what you hear is their emotion which do not necessarily coincides with yours but that's the way it is.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #5,983 of 21,868
Quote:
In high end audio, the designers are just passing their view of what they feel is what it should be, at least from what I read in the past, so what you hear is their emotion which do not necessarily coincides with yours but that's the way it is.

Yeah, I noticed. They also sometimes want to believe its great, and they do. 

Also most designers won't say the defects of the product.
Which is stupid, because everyone knows nothing is perfect. 

Yet when you read a description, you usually find no words explaining the down sides.

That's besides the fact that listening is quite subjective as well.
As you were also saying you want musicality, while others want accuracy, for example.

So what is "good" for me, isn't for others etc.

So even if the designer was quite fair, it doesn't mean he/she has my same taste anyway!

Ear-wise, some people are analytically inclined, others are emotionally inclined, while still other are physically inclined. So is music.

But even that is a pretty simplistic look...because most people have certain percentages of each (as their perfect sound) instead 100% analytical for example. 

And I am totally blabbering and talking out of subject. But that's just what I noticed, reading around.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #5,984 of 21,868
Quote:

Yeah, I noticed. They also sometimes want to believe its great, and they do. 

Also most designers won't say the defects of the product.
Which is stupid, because everyone knows nothing is perfect. 

Yet when you read a description, you usually find no words explaining the down sides.

That's besides the fact that listening is quite subjective as well.
As you were also saying you want musicality, while others want accuracy, for example.

So what is "good" for me, isn't for others etc.

So even if the designer was quite fair, it doesn't mean he/she has my same taste anyway!

Ear-wise, some people are analytically inclined, others are emotionally inclined, while still other are physically inclined. So is music.

But even that is a pretty simplistic look...because most people have certain percentages of each (as their perfect sound) instead 100% analytical for example. 

And I am totally blabbering and talking out of subject. But that's just what I noticed, reading around.

That's where you will be until you know what you like, not what others think what you should like. I've been there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back