HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #5,746 of 21,868
Quote:

If you can find a similar material at a fabric shop or online that might also be worth a try if you don't want to damage the original velour pads.  I didn't think twice about taking a knife to the HifiMan pleathers as I have 2 pads so I have enough plastic spacers to swap earpads
biggrin.gif
  If you don't mind losing the original velour pads then I would highly recommend this mod, it attenuates the upper mids and treble just enough to reduce fatigue but not enough to reduce transparency or immediacy.  I think if people heard the HE-6 with these mods and good amplification they would be mind blown.

I also have some screens from the STAX 007 mkii pads - I might try them out to see how they sound.  My guess is they would be a little too much but still they are there and I find the STAX pads a little too warm and to have a sharp spike in the lower treble.

EDIT: grammar

I have coupl eof pair of the Velour MkII so I don't mine cutting the MkI, I don't have a use for them anyway.

What are those in your picture?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #5,747 of 21,868
Quote:

I have coupl eof pair of the Velour MkII so I don't mine cutting the MkI, I don't have a use for them anyway.

What are those in your picture?

Those are the screens from the STAX 007 mkii earpads - well made but they are not as effective as the HifiMan screens at controlling the brigtness while maintaining transparency.  I much prefer the HifiMan screens.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5,748 of 21,868
For the HE-6 fans out there, have any of you tried it with a Schiit Lyr?  It's one of the more powerful of the normal type single ended amps at 6W, but I know a lot of HE-6 fans prefer running it from speaker taps to most headphone amps, and I know it's rated at 8W....the only headphone a Lyr cranked to max volume couldn't blow
biggrin.gif

But does the Lyr have sufficient drive to "properly" drive an HE-6?

Also, does anyone know if the ear cup area is any deeper before you hit the grille than on HE-400?  That's the thing driving me nuts about HE-400.  The comfort isn't the best, but the grille on my ear drives me crazy.   I'm still deciding on my "high end" unit... LCD-2, HE-6, HD800 are still all in the running.  The thing that appeals to me about HE-6 is ortho sound with a much bigger soundstage. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #5,749 of 21,868
For the HE-6 fans out there, have any of you tried it with a Schiit Lyr?  It's one of the more powerful of the normal type single ended amps at 6W, but I know a lot of HE-6 fans prefer running it from speaker taps to most headphone amps, and I know it's rated at 8W....the only headphone a Lyr cranked to max volume couldn't blow :D   

Also, does anyone know if the ear cup area is any deeper before you hit the grille than on HE-400?  That's the thing driving me nuts about HE-400.  The comfort isn't the best, but the grille on my ear drives me crazy.   I'm still deciding on my "high end" unit... LCD-2, HE-6, HD800 are still all in the running.  The thing that appeals to me about HE-6 is ortho sound with a much bigger soundstage. 

Latest Hifiman pads have an extra dampening layer so the driver is farther from the ear. Send an email enquiry to them.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #5,750 of 21,868
Quote:
Latest Hifiman pads have an extra dampening layer so the driver is farther from the ear. Send an email enquiry to them.

How recent?  I ordered my replacement pads in either May or June (velour...I hate the pleather...it's just horribly designed and much to thin and soft even with the extra damping layer.)

HE-400 I THINK has a shallower grill depth than HE-6, but I don't remember where I heard that, so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #5,752 of 21,868
Quote:
For the HE-6 fans out there, have any of you tried it with a Schiit Lyr?  It's one of the more powerful of the normal type single ended amps at 6W, but I know a lot of HE-6 fans prefer running it from speaker taps to most headphone amps, and I know it's rated at 8W....the only headphone a Lyr cranked to max volume couldn't blow
biggrin.gif

I had a Lyr at home for sometime and tried the HE-6 with it. I personally did not like the sound. It was not as refined as out of my WA5-LE or DS or Threshold T50. Yes it is cheaper than any of those 3 but I bet something like an Adcom 535 will do better than the Lyr with the HE-6 and you can get it used for under $250.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #5,753 of 21,868
Quote:

I had a Lyr at home for sometime and tried the HE-6 with it. I personally did not like the sound. It was not as refined as out of my WA5-LE or DS or Threshold T50. Yes it is cheaper than any of those 3 but I bet something like an Adcom 535 will do better than the Lyr with the HE-6 and you can get it used for under $250.

Quote:

No it doesn't.

If you're under severe budget constraints, get a Trends TA-10.2SE.

Thanks, both, for the info.  I wasn't tied entirely to HE-6, but I figured "well if I have the power for it...".  For the moment I'm buying my headphones around the amps (I have two Lyrs), rather than buying the amp around the headphone so that takes HE-6 off the table.  I may upgrade to the Schiit "statement" gear next year when it comes out, but I'll still be using my Lyrs as well so I want a headphone that will do well enough with all of them. And I love those little Lyrs...they're a tube rolling addict's dream
wink.gif
  HE-400 on Lyr for example is fantastic, and I've heard HE-5 and HE-500 are as well. 

I do need to try that audeze pad mod for HE-400 though..that sounds great!

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5,754 of 21,868
Quote:
biggrin.gif

You do have velour pads with your HE400s right? Those are a good 0.5 cm thicker than pleather pads.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,755 of 21,868
How recent?  I ordered my replacement pads in either May or June (velour...I hate the pleather...it's just horribly designed and much to thin and soft even with the extra damping layer.)

HE-400 I THINK has a shallower grill depth than HE-6, but I don't remember where I heard that, so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

March I think. I had the HE-500 loaner and my ears were touching a metal bar on the inside. When I purchased the latest edition of HE-500 the pads had an extra layer and I still can't feel a thing. Pleather. Though the latest velours are much thicker as well.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #5,756 of 21,868
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Yea, the Lyr can drive it to ear deafening levels. However it definitely lacks refinement and sounds smeared. So far the Dark Star is the only headphone amp
I've heard drive the HE-6 brilliantly, but even then, speaker taps are the way to go without question.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #5,757 of 21,868
No it doesn't.

This.

The Lyr doesn't really cut it, look into a decent stereo speaker amp, 40-80W/ch is plenty. Luckily, such amps can be rather cheap, you can even use some older receiver you have lying around.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5,758 of 21,868
Noobie here, VMAX Services Canada (distributor) will be demoing the HiFiMan and Nuforce gear at Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show (TAVES) Sept 28-30 anyone interested in going this year ?  

They have a demo room at Vanity A Ballroom this year.  www.taveshow.com

Hope to see some of the guys there! 

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5,759 of 21,868
Noobie here, VMAX Services Canada (distributor) will be demoing the HiFiMan and Nuforce gear at Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show (TAVES) Sept 28-30 anyone interested in going this year ?  

They have a demo room at Vanity A Ballroom this year.  www.taveshow.com

Hope to see some of the guys there! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back