HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #5,566 of 21,868
Quote:
Could anyone share how the HE-Adapter box changes the sound (if at all), as opposed to going straight to speaker taps?  I think I read a few people say earlier in this thread that it makes the sound a bit thinner and reduces bass impact.  If the HE-Adapter isn't a desirable option, are there any other commercial options that can handle speaker taps to 4-pin XLR?

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Class D monoblocks I've had my eyes on for awhile, and would use an active preamp behind it to control volume.  The problem is that the monoblocks are 570W/ch at 8ohms, so even with the preamp set to -85dB, I'm unsure whether the monoblocks would damage the HE-6.

I've already emailed Fang about safe operational limits and am awaiting a response.

Class D amps are not a good option.
Class A=Tube Amps=>SS int=>SS receiver=> Class D    Listed in order of preference. I have used all of them to drive the HE-6. The Class D amp was an ICE receiver by Pioneer.

Just putting a resistor across the speaker taps changes the sound so the adapter box should do it a larger degree.  There is loss of transparency and it was very evident.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #5,567 of 21,868
Quote:
Could anyone share how the HE-Adapter box changes the sound (if at all), as opposed to going straight to speaker taps?  I think I read a few people say earlier in this thread that it makes the sound a bit thinner and reduces bass impact.  If the HE-Adapter isn't a desirable option, are there any other commercial options that can handle speaker taps to 4-pin XLR?

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Class D monoblocks I've had my eyes on for awhile, and would use an active preamp behind it to control volume.  The problem is that the monoblocks are 570W/ch at 8ohms, so even with the preamp set to -85dB, I'm unsure whether the monoblocks would damage the HE-6.

I've already emailed Fang about safe operational limits and am awaiting a response.

I believe in the manual it's stated that amps rated at 60wpc and under are only recommended.  What amps are you running, W4S? 

As for Class D vs. anything else, I found with loudspeakers class D amps generally have the best controlled low end.  Which can sound great with some speakers and awful with others.  Generally a larger speaker with low tuning or smaller speaker with a pronounced bass hump to give the false impression of a larger speaker sound best with class D, but horns or high efficiency speakers designed for the poorly damped bass of a SET amp are a bad match. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #5,568 of 21,868
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yes, I was thinking of pairing the HE-6 with a W4S ST or SX amp.  I've heard the ICE technology has gotten better over the last few years, especially given the heavy criticism of early implementations, though I'm not sure how the W4S compares vs the Pioneer.  A lot of people said that the W4S was the first Class D amp they've ever liked, though I'm unsure whether that's relevant for headphones or not.  The nice thing about Class D is that I'm hoping not to add another space heater to the room.  It seems like the HE-6 does well with Tripath amps, so I was curious whether ICE would be another good alternative.

Given the low-efficiency nature of the HE-6 drivers, could a Class D be a potentially good match?  I'm going to start searching through this thread again to see if anyone's tried their HE-6 with a Class D amp.  So far, the favorite pairings seem to be with Class As and Tripaths.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,569 of 21,868
Msybe not class D per se! but I used the Primare I32 to drive the HE-6 - and the match was very good; tight bass and very clean sound.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #5,570 of 21,868
Interesting :)  Based off of this:

Quote:
http://www.primare.net/product.asp?ProductID=48&d=4
“Primare uses a high-efficiency Class D amplifier technology for the I32 known as "Ultra Fast Power Device ": UFPD in short.

(other forum)
The A34.2 employs "Ultra Fast Power Device" (UFPD) Class-D architecture as per Primare's current I32 integrated.  THIS explains UFPD's alleged cures for Class D's perceived drawbacks.

USA Primare distributor Sound Org (also Wilson Benesch speakers) said UFPD is 100% proprietary (no Hypex/ICE POWER)

So far I read another criticism of pairing the HE-6 with a low-power Class D amp (10W into 8ohms).  I'm looking at 1040W into 8ohms using an ICE Class D implementation.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,571 of 21,868
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yes, I was thinking of pairing the HE-6 with a W4S ST or SX amp.  I've heard the ICE technology has gotten better over the last few years, especially given the heavy criticism of early implementations, though I'm not sure how the W4S compares vs the Pioneer.  A lot of people said that the W4S was the first Class D amp they've ever liked, though I'm unsure whether that's relevant for headphones or not.  The nice thing about Class D is that I'm hoping not to add another space heater to the room.  It seems like the HE-6 does well with Tripath amps, so I was curious whether ICE would be another good alternative.

Given the low-efficiency nature of the HE-6 drivers, could a Class D be a potentially good match?  I'm going to start searching through this thread again to see if anyone's tried their HE-6 with a Class D amp.  So far, the favorite pairings seem to be with Class As and Tripaths.

I'm using the W4S mINT's headphone amp section to drive HE-6's and it sounds great to me.  I am curious to see how the amp section of it or my SX-500's sound in comparison, but would need to make a jig.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #5,572 of 21,868
Quote:
I'm using the W4S mINT's headphone amp section to drive HE-6's and it sounds great to me.  I am curious to see how the amp section of it or my SX-500's sound in comparison, but would need to make a jig.

I would love to hear impressions of how your HE-6 pairs with your SX-500.  Wish you were local so I could just loan you a XLR -> speaker tap cable adapter.  I've read really positive reviews of the SX-500 and SX-1000 from people who say that they've been unhappy with previous Class D implementations.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #5,573 of 21,868
Quote:

I would love to hear impressions of how your HE-6 pairs with your SX-500.  Wish you were local so I could just loan you a XLR -> speaker tap cable adapter.  I've read really positive reviews of the SX-500 and SX-1000 from people who say that they've been unhappy with previous Class D implementations.

I agree that early Class D implementations left much to be desired.  The newer gens are much better, so much in fact I have a W4S mINT in the bedroom, Mini-MC 5 in the HT, and SX-500's in the 2 channel rig.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5,574 of 21,868
I use the HE adapter with my HE-6s and Cary amp, to protect the amp. It works well, I haven't heard any quality degradation. Now I usually just use the HP out, however. It's plenty capable of handling the HE-6.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #5,575 of 21,868
I've got a W4S ST250 driving some Gallo Stradas with my EC Balancing Act as a preamp.  It's an amazing combination in a smaller room.  I was also thinking abt pairing a W4S ST250 to some HE6s.  I was hoping this would be an ideal combo.  I've also ordered a Schiit Mjolnir which I'm really curious abt.  

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5,576 of 21,868
That should make for an interesting comparison, eaglejo.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #5,577 of 21,868
FYI, Justin is releasing a power-upgraded version of the GS-X.

www.head-fi.org/t/112029/the-gs-1-thread/270#post_8470471
www.head-fi.org/t/112029/the-gs-1-thread/270#post_8475365

How do you guys think this will pair with the HE-6 compared to speaker amps?  So far, the Dark Star seems like the headphone amp to beat for the HE-6.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #5,579 of 21,868
Quote:

sweet, a $3k version of the dynahi/dynamite.

I doubt that. The gap is too large in terms of power: http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gsx/index.htm vs http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audio/dynahi.html

That's just the Dynahi. The Dynamight has twice the voltage swing and slew rate, and four times the power of the Dynahi.

Justin keeps repeating that the GS-X is a headphone amp/pre-amp first, focused on low-noise, high quality sound. It can drive the HE6 in balanced mode very adequately according to him.

Based on my experience, the GS-X is an awesome amp (that's only about to get better).

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #5,580 of 21,868
Well, the HE-6 is stunning with the First Watt J2.

Just a bit of system tweaking to go (adding a Placette Active, probably some gold/rhodium RCA interconnects, and connecting everything to the transformer) and my dynamic rig is probably done.  I'd like to try the LCD-3 again, this time with the J2.  I suspect it might help a bit with the things I don't like about the LCD-3.  The HD800 was pretty good on the speaker amp, too, but not my cup of tea.

Someone get a SIT-1 to pair with the HE-6 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back