HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3,481 of 21,868

Quote:
Even a 1.5 watt amplifier is adequate but 1.5 watts out of a 100w power amp is a totally different sound.

I think you may be mistaken.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #3,484 of 21,868

Quote:

Isn't that called power to the people?

OT, I don't believe 2.5w can adequately power the HE6. My 2.55w desktop amp clips. My 10w tube amp doesn't.

Na you just need to turn the volume setting on your 95 to 100%

My WA5LE is >1.5w and there is no distortion or clipping with the HE-6, the depth is the best I have ever heard along with the great dynamic range of the HE-6. And all this apply's to Blu Ray movies using the full (not core) DTS HD MA, True HD, LPCM 5.1/7.1 soundtracks as well. These types of sound-tracks are much more demanding than any 2Ch audio I have ever heard.  And the detail is amazing with my HE-6's and can present a head-stage that is 360 degrees, full surround.

The only problem with my rig is it probably would cause a brown out on Jam's island.

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #3,485 of 21,868

Quote:
Na you just need to turn the volume setting on your 95 to 100%

My WA5LE is >1.5w and there is no distortion or clipping with the HE-6, the depth is the best I have ever heard along with the great dynamic range of the HE-6. And all this apply's to Blu Ray movies using the full (not core) DTS HD MA, True HD, LPCM 5.1/7.1 soundtracks as well. These types of sound-tracks are much more demanding than any 2Ch audio I have ever heard.  And the detail is amazing with my HE-6's and can present a head-stage that is 360 degrees, full surround.

The only problem with my rig is it probably would cause a brown out on Jam's island.

I have it set at 100%. I always hear it on the right channel. Now it could also be that the right channel on my amp has the problem. I can swap out the opamp to check this.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3,486 of 21,868

Quote:
I have it set at 100%. I always hear it on the right channel. Now it could also be that the right channel on my amp has the problem. I can swap out the opamp to check this.

Yes you are right as long as your other amp and HE-6 doesn't exhibit the same problem with the right cup.

If the latter is the case then review your settings on your Oppo 95. The Oppo can be a little strange with settings that should work but don't for your rig and what you are tying to do.

I should add try swapping your XLR cables also, don't think that's the problem but you never know.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #3,487 of 21,868
I've been without my HE-6 since 3/19 when I loaned them out to Asr.  I got them back today and had to try them out again, and the closest thing on hand was my Marantz CD5001 feeding my EF5 amp from the RCA outputs.  I plugged the HE-6 into the amp and I've been listening for half an hour and can't stop.  I had forgotten how nice the HE-6 phones sound with just the HiFiMan EF5 amp, even with the stock RCA tube in it.  

In high gain I have the volume at 11:30 - 12 o'clock on the dial, for normal listening, and 1:30 o'clock is fairly loud and clear - about as loud as I ever listen.  I ended up turning it back down just below 12 o'clock to finish out the album (Esbjorn Svensson Trio "Viaticum"). So, this amp is powerful enough, even though the soundstage is a little smaller and micro-detail is a little less than my ZDT or SR-71b.  But the timbre and tone is a perfect match.

I've got a Marantz 2240 vintage receiver coming on Thursday and I'm looking forward to trying it out with the HE-6 via headphone jack, and via speaker taps using my HiFlight adapter.

It's also very dry and when I move around in my listening chair my ears keep getting zapped with static electricity.  I guess I could describe the sound as "electrifying".

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3,488 of 21,868
That static thing the HE-6 do is my biggest issue with them now.  It's kinda painful.  No other headphone I have does this.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #3,489 of 21,868
I was reporting on the static thing back in late January but mine hardly do that to me anymore; they seem to have calmed down in that respect. They actually seem to be settling down quite nicely in general.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #3,490 of 21,868
Well static would not be much fun. Here, due to the extensive rain, static is not an issue but I won't be here forever. Interesting but it doesn't sound like fun. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #3,491 of 21,868

Quote:
That static thing the HE-6 do is my biggest issue with them now.  It's kinda painful.  No other headphone I have does this.

You made me think twice when I saw your post about a static issue with the HE-6, I have never had that problem.

Just turn on your humidifier. I always have my set to whatever the outside temp is in the winter, matter of fact I hear the water running into it now when my furnace is on. I was thinking about turning off the humidifier until I saw your post, I guess I will leave it on for a few more weeks.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #3,492 of 21,868
Well, I neglected to have the humidifier attached to our furnace serviced this winter, and now I'm suffering for it.  I need to get that cleaned out and working again.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #3,493 of 21,868
Ya the wife has them do it every fall. Anyway the main benefit for me is it helps keep the wife looking a lot younger than me, but then again she is a lot younger. Much more costly to upgrade the wife than it is to run the humidifier.
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #3,494 of 21,868
Fortunately the static thing has not been an issue with my HE6.  I only felt that maybe two or three times and usually whe my shoes are off. It a tiny zap but lately it has not happened . I really enjoy these headphones so much so that I have stopped the buying and selling marathon I was on for the last year. I really do not even miss the LCD2 as this keeps me satisfied. Maybe someone should ping Fang about those issues and see what he comes back with.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #3,495 of 21,868
I do have a humidifier, a nice one, running full tilt, but in my(home)  office, where I use the HE-6, there is thick carpet, and no amount of humidifying will cure this on some of the driest days.  It's not THAT big a deal...just an annoyance.  The issue is moving around with the HE-6 on.  If I don't walk about at all once putting them on, it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back