HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3,076 of 21,868
I ordered (and received) the Lyr, for my HE-6 cans. Sounds great. There's a couple threads going on in the Amp forum on the amp in general, not sure how many people are HE-6 users, but I put in some comments there.

Quote:
Anybody have a Lyr on order for the HE-6s?

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3,077 of 21,868

Quote:
The quality stat rigs are the final level of performance but for the price of the HE-6 (provided with a quality cable already) and a modest amp, you get the next best thing for about $1500.

I'd argue otherwise. With very few choices of how to make the things sound you are very limited. perhaps 6 reallllly good electrostatic headphones, and another dozen that are pretty nice. Its just like dynamics, except there are at least 12 realllllly good headphones, and hundreds that are pretty nice. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #3,079 of 21,868

Quote:
Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. In your experience is it true what some people say about NAD equipment generally sounding a bit dark?

Quote:
I would say more to the warm side rather than dark but musical IMO. Hopefully they have the QC worked out but otherwise for the money they will work. Order with the 30 day return and try it

The C325BEE I had did not sound dark or warm at all.  The vintage 3020 on the other hand does sound slightly warm.  Through the years it started sounding dark even.  A few years ago I opened it, got a can of electro cleaner from RadioShack and went to town on the board and connectors.  It does not sound dark any more.  Surface oxidation can do a number on vintage gear.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #3,080 of 21,868

Quote:
So to those who have the formula, what will the Lyr give the HE-6 in wattage?

According to the Lyr's website it is capable of 40V peak to peak into 32 ohms. I will assume it can swing the same voltage into the 50 ohm impedance of the HE-6. 40V peak to peak converted to rms yields 40/(2*sqrt2)= ~14.1 Vrms. P=Vrms^2/R=3.98 watts.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3,081 of 21,868

Quote:
According to the Lyr's website it is capable of 40V peak to peak into 32 ohms. I will assume it can swing the same voltage into the 50 ohm impedance of the HE-6. 40V peak to peak converted to rms yields 40/(2*sqrt2)= ~14.1 Vrms. P=Vrms^2/R=3.98 watts.

Thank you!

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #3,082 of 21,868

Quote:
I have a Peachtree Decco coming in soon that I hope will work well with my HE-6, but I'm still curious about alternatives. What would you guys speculate about a NAD 7020i? http://nadelectronics.com/content/100603161956-NAD_7020i.pdf

-20w/channel continous (with +3dB IHF dynamic headroom? I'm not exactly sure what that means), or 40w/channel of dynamic power at 8ohms
-High-current output stage delivers peak currents up to 15 ampere

People seem to suggest the rule of thumb is 40w/channel and lots of current, does this seem like a fit?

Looking forward to your impressions with the Decco, and also comparisons with the NAD if you try it out!

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #3,083 of 21,868

Quote:
     Quote:

The C325BEE I had did not sound dark or warm at all.  The vintage 3020 on the other hand does sound slightly warm.  Through the years it started sounding dark even.  A few years ago I opened it, got a can of electro cleaner from RadioShack and went to town on the board and connectors.  It does not sound dark any more.  Surface oxidation can do a number on vintage gear.

the 316BEE is not vintage gear it is current production. I would not be doing anything on a new amp under warranty as anything you do void the warranty.  The 3140 I owned lasted 28 years the build qualit was better than than now and that amp was more than the current amp in price / that was a 400.00 amp 28 yrs ago.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3,084 of 21,868
Glad to see vintage gear getting some well deserved love here. Tat said there is quite a variation of sound siggies from these amps/receivers. It took me a bit of time fiddling round with a number of them before settling on the Sansui AU-517 as the best on the the HE5LEs (& a few others too I mite add although conclusions aren't as definite).

A Technics SA400 sounded fastest but had an upper tizz tat was too much for me. The Marantz had the hardest bass slam & a tad pesky up top too. The Pioneer SA7500 sounded great with the best combo of the above too. A late 60s Sansui 4000 receiver was a little flubby (relatively ofcos) on the bottom & too mid centric for me - understandable cos it's voiced as the ol school tubies & is also capacitor coupled although it sounded great with vintage speakers. Im getting in another baby Pioneer, SX450, to see how it would play.

My Sansui AU517 has the most organic sound & is the smoothest up without losing any details or other aspects except perhaps sounding a tad slower but only if directly compared with the Technics. Ofcos the above conclusions are in relationship with driving the HE5 LEs directly off the speaker taps & only to my ears although my bud with the HE6 also shares my view.

Unsurprizingly, I find the HD650 best on the Technics & Pioneer. So I hope tat vintage gear won't get diss'd just cos 1 or 2 particular amp doesn't sound too hot with these orthos. It could tat particular amp, tat amps specific sound siggy &or amp- headphone not gelling as well as it could. Or it could just be a personal (un)preference. Gee sound like I'm describing dedicated headamps. LOL

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #3,085 of 21,868
Wanted to share my recent experience with I attempted to purchase of HE-6 headphones.  I never got to listen to the HE-6 which is disappointing since I have been waiting for some time to make the purchase.  

The first set I received where damaged.  The right ear cup brackets was cosmetically damaged.  I assumed this was workmanship, and I brought this to the sellers attention and they reacted quickly with shipping me another pair of HE-6's, and issuing a call ticket for the first pair.   

When I received my second pair of HE-6's my heart sunk to my stomach when I discovered this pair was also damaged on the same side.  The right ear cup this time was cosmetically damaged.

I sat back disappointed thinking this can't be workmanship issues.  The damage was to obvious for a manufacturer to allow it to slip by quality control.  So I began to repack the second set before calling the seller again to let them know the bad news.  This is when I realized the source of the damage.  It was the XLR connector.  When the cable is placed inside the headphone case it is placed over the headphone in a foam rapping.  It appears when the lid on the HE-6 box is closed it is rubbing the right ear cup.  The latch used to remove the matting 1/4" connector cable from the XLR connector has ridges.  I suspect this is what actually is causing the cosmetic damage since the XLR connector body is relatively smooth.  

I brought this issue to the seller's attention, and I offered to send over photos so they would understand I was not trying anything funny.  I also asked them to check their inventory before shipping me another pair, but they refused until I returned the 2 cosmetically defective pairs of HE-6's I currently had.    

I just wanted to bring this others attention in case they decide to purchase a pair.  You might want the seller to open and inspect or even remove the cable assembly from the headphone case and place inside an overpack box before shipping.  If not I suspect you will also be subject to the same possible damage and disappointment.

Was I the only potential customer to experience this issue?   

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #3,086 of 21,868
HiFiMAN/Head-Direct is continually working out these kind of issues, I think we have to write it off to growing pains.

When I had to return my second HE-5 because the driver was cutting out, they actually refused delivery on them, then told me that I could not send them with insurance because their new mail drop (NY) wouldn't sign for them. I told them that was ridiculous and we worked things out so I could send them insured, but I ended up spending an extra $35 or so shipping them again and was never offered reimbursement.

They almost always end up doing the right thing, but not always right away. Keep on them!

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3,087 of 21,868

Quote:
Was I the only potential customer to experience this issue?   

I've not experienced any cosmetic damage, but I have had to send them back for replacement twice now as well. The first because of a connector issue, the second because the left driver was not even properly glued down in the earcup. Quite annoying having to keep shipping them back.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #3,088 of 21,868

Quote:

I've not experienced any cosmetic damage, but I have had to send them back for replacement twice now as well. The first because of a connector issue, the second because the left driver was not even properly glued down in the earcup. Quite annoying having to keep shipping them back.

uh oh... these manufacturing issues give me worries....

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,089 of 21,868
Quote:
somestranger26 said:

That's not the type of Quality Control I'd expect from a headphone that's considered one of the top cans out today (If their sound is what you like).....I'd be pissed if I ordered a pr and had to send them back!   They're ( to many bucks) for that lack of craftsmanship, or as I've said, Quality control!...I'd say send me a refund after the 1st return.......Remember, IMO there are to many great headphones out there today to put up with that kind of service also........

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #3,090 of 21,868
I also had to send mine back because the head band adjusters would not stay where I adjusted them to. Then they sent me a new pair with the exact same issue. Miraculously after a few days and many arguments with them about how they should have to pay for shipping since I already paid $25 to send them back and they didn't fix my issue, they somehow fixed themselves (mostly, I mean they don't move on their own anymore but they are ultra easy to adjust). Head-Direct definitely has some quality control issues, I have had to send back more than half of what I have purchased from them. Also Somestranger26 has had to return his HE-5 (once), HE-5LE (once), HE-6 (twice) all from QC issues...Quote:
uh oh... these manufacturing issues give me worries....

O god don't get me started. I'm afraid one day I'm going to come home after leaving my HE-6 on its stand and they are gonna are gonna be hanging there with the cup and earpad split like somestrangers, and its going to be 1 day after my warranty has expired. BTW I believe $1200 should have a life time warranty, just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back