HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 29, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #2,761 of 21,879

Quote:
The transparency IMO have nothing to to with brightness, and it does just present as treble details. In fact the best phones should have a consistent transparency across the whole frequencies. And in many cases it is the lower mid and bass transparency which is harder to achieve. For example the LCD2 is not considered to be bright at all, but it is very transparent.

Right, I don't know why people think brightness is a direct correlation to transparency. I say again, transparency has nothing to do with the frequency range. For example, my stax sr001. They have a rolled off treble, but are very transparent. It's similar to some of the benefits of a dac. Once you upgrade to a highend dac, it's like someone just gave the window a good cleaning. You can see(or hear) things more clearly. A level of residue is lifted, and everything becomes clearer. That's why some headphones benefit more than others from a dac upgrade. The headphones that scales bettter with gear upgrades are headphones that have a high level of transparency. It doesn't have anything to do with treble. But it's time to get back on topic. This thread has been derailed enough. This is more of a discussion for the science forum.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #2,762 of 21,879
I spent too many hours yesterday with the HE6, I have the Copland on this morning  and at normal levels that I listen too the HE6 sailed through the Fanfare. I will buy a SPL this weekend and see what levels I normally listen at and I really like what the HE6 does. Its crystal clear in the soundstage and I can hear layers of the orchestra in nice detailed and airy soundstage. The focus is very good on instrument placement and bass is very very tight and controlled. I hear no noise at all just the Minnesota orchestra playing the Copland better than my T1 did. I probably have only 14 hrs on these so I am thinking they may still get better yet.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2,763 of 21,879
That's good to hear. I'm glad you are enjoying them. They do need burn in, so now you're getting an idea of just how good these can sound. I would say give them another 30-35 hours, and they should be ready to go.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #2,764 of 21,879
I do enjoy them for sure. I think these will end up being here for a bit. I also have a new pair of HD800 coming Tuesday but only two will make the cut between the LCD2 HE6 and the HD800. I really trying to finalize my system for a bit. It will be interesting to put the HD800 against both planar and see how it does/

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2,765 of 21,879
I just received my Whiplash balanced cable for Ray's SR-71B to connect to the HE-6. I am amazed that a small portable amp can power the HE-6 so effortlessly. I don't undersand how some full size amps can't power the HE-6 to it's fullest potential and yet the SR-71B makes them come alive with the greatest of ease.
I have the SR-71B gain set to high and yet the volume only needs to be at 12:00. So far I've listened to Gene Ammons "Boss Tenor" and Paula West "Come What May", but I can honestly say that his three piece combo sounds better than when using my Luxman through the headphone port, and the speaker taps on my Dareds.

My source is an iMod with alac files. This combo sounds so good, it has to be heard to be believed. Besides being balanced, the sound is portrayed effortlessly. I'm hoping that the balanced amp module coming soon for the HM-801 can sound this good. I'm not going to walking around outside with me HE-6's on, but once the weather gets nice, and I can sit outside, this is going to be my "go to" rig. Now I am using my balanced Silver Dragon cable from Drew and my JH-13's for portability, the Dareds or the RWA 30.2 for critical listening in one spot and the HE-6/SR-71B combo for partial portability.
Next, I am going to try my HM-801 with the line out to the SR-71B to the HE-6 with 24/96 files. I already know the 801 sounds better than the iMod, so it should be quite a treat.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,766 of 21,879

Quote:
I just received my Whiplash balanced cable for Ray's SR-71B to connect to the HE-6. I am amazed that a small portable amp can power the HE-6 so effortlessly. I don't undersand how some full size amps can't power the HE-6 to it's fullest potential and yet the SR-71B makes them come alive with the greatest of ease.
I have the SR-71B gain set to high and yet the volume only needs to be at 12:00. So far I've listened to Gene Ammons "Boss Tenor" and Paula West "Come What May", but I can honestly say that his three piece combo sounds better than when using my Luxman through the headphone port, and the speaker taps on my Dareds.

My source is an iMod with alac files. This combo sounds so good, it has to be heard to be believed. Besides being balanced, the sound is portrayed effortlessly. I'm hoping that the balanced amp module coming soon for the HM-801 can sound this good. I'm not going to walking around outside with me HE-6's on, but once the weather gets nice, and I can sit outside, this is going to be my "go to" rig. Now I am using my balanced Silver Dragon cable from Drew and my JH-13's for portability, the Dareds or the RWA 30.2 for critical listening in one spot and the HE-6/SR-71B combo for partial portability.
Next, I am going to try my HM-801 with the line out to the SR-71B to the HE-6 with 24/96 files. I already know the 801 sounds better than the iMod, so it should be quite a treat.

Using the HE-6 with the 71B and the iBasso DB1 (which I just modified with Black Gate caps), is a big treat. I agree with you that the sound is effortless, open and detailed. There is no collapse of the sound field and yet you have this little amp that fits on your palm! Then I read about home amps that collapse, have much more supposed power but this amp does it. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,767 of 21,879

Quote:
I do enjoy them for sure. I think these will end up being here for a bit. I also have a new pair of HD800 coming Tuesday but only two will make the cut between the LCD2 HE6 and the HD800. I really trying to finalize my system for a bit. It will be interesting to put the HD800 against both planar and see how it does/

I had the same decision to make and ended up with both planars.  

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,769 of 21,879

Using the HE-6 with the 71B and the iBasso DB1 (which I just modified with Black Gate caps), is a big treat. I agree with you that the sound is effortless, open and detailed. There is no collapse of the sound field and yet you have this little amp that fits on your palm! Then I read about home amps that collapse, have much more supposed power but this amp does it. 

No doubt, the HE-6 and the SR71B is a shockingly good combo. I was very impressed.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #2,770 of 21,879

I am amazed that any portable can bring the HE6 to life. How does it work that a set of headphones that have been said to need lots of current can get what they need from small batteries? What is the mAh ratings on the batteries within the Ray Samuels?

I have an iBasso D12. Perhaps I might give it a try.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #2,771 of 21,879
There was a time when portables didn't come anywhere close to driving full sized, hard to drive cans as well as even the average desktops did. That has changed. Now you have a handful of portables that can do a better job than even some of the more expensive desktop amps. Portable amp manufacturers recently went back to the drawing board and it's time for desktop manufacturers to do the same. I know some already have and are releasing new amps. But it's a shame that I had to sell all of my desktop(non-electrostatic) amps, and still I can sit "outside" and enjoy smoking a cigar, listening to my HE-6s through my pb1.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2,772 of 21,879

Could it be around the balanced configuration of the RS and iBasso? I notice both are balanced. I have to wait for my headphone jack reducer to arrive before I can try my HE6 with the D12.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #2,773 of 21,879

Quote:

Could it be around the balanced configuration of the RS and iBasso? I notice both are balanced. I have to wait for my headphone jack reducer to arrive before I can try my HE6 with the D12.

Yes, the ibasso essentially has double the power in balanced mode. In single ended mode, they really can't do anything with my HE-6. Balanced is a different story. Eventhough it converts a single ended input into a balanced output, using a balanced source is still a significant improvement over using a single ended input and balanced output. It can drive them decently using the single ended input, but I have to use high gain. It can drive them easily using low gain when using a balanced input. This isn't to say that they are driven to their full potential, but it drives them well.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,774 of 21,879
The D12 is not going to be able to drive the HE-6. The D12 is a very good portable but it isn't meant for something like the HE-6 or headphones in that category as they require too much current and the D12 is limited both in voltage and current. At this point, a balanced portable is the only thing in the portable arena that can drive the HE-6. Even my fi.Q which has 4 634 buffers per channel and drives everything I have with a great reserve of power can not handle the HE.6 and it operates at 24 volts. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2,775 of 21,879
I recently replaced my failing Alesis RA150 with a Virtue Audio One.2, which I have about 40 hours of break-in time on. The SQ improvement is substantial. Most notable is depth and soundstage. I'm listening to Coltrane's "Ballads" album right now. Sense of depth, and space around instruments, has greatly improved. The 5 to 10 degree "blank space" in the sound stage is now filled in. Aux percussion in Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier" hangs out there in space, somewhat reminiscent of my MarkL-modded D7000's.

Treble is also now better controlled, previously harshly sibilant recordings are now easily tolerable. I'm hesitant to say "rounded", because no detail or extension has been lost. Just more pleasant, in an "expensive-sounding" sort of way, to turn a phrase.

Now I have not heard the Lebens or other higher-end amps with the HE-6's, but the little Virtue amp does everything I would want it do with these cans. Coming in at roughly 1/6th the size of the Alesis, my stack of HP gear doesn't look quite so ridiculous. It stays relatively cool, and looks very nice. Not bad for three hundred bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back