HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #2,225 of 21,868
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #2,226 of 21,868
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #2,227 of 21,868
Others for consideration regarding cabling at the highest level:

Drew at Moon Audio:     http://www.moon-audio.com/

Craig at Whiplash Audio:  http://www.whiplashaudio.com/

And for those who find this important, he above two are also sponsors and support the Head-Fi site. Sean may also be a sponsor but I did not see his name on the sponsor list. I apologize if I missed this.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2,228 of 21,868
And as members, we get what from the sponsors? They pay to keep this place open for sales. Let's not sugarcoat it.

I agree people shouldn't be clandestine profiteers in our review threads.

But then I'm of the opinion this is a community of hobbyists sharing experiences and giving advice, opinion and information.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,229 of 21,868

Quote:
And as members, we get what from the sponsors? They pay to keep this place open for sales. Let's not sugarcoat it.

Well, in reality, before 2006, if it wasn't for Sponsors, there wasn't any Head-Fi. That's why I innovated the National Meet idea in 2006, to help Jude get out of the red and into the black.
Currently, I don't know what the real story is, especially with Huddler involved, but I don't think we'd be here right now without the likes of Tyll's Headroom, TTVJ and Jan Meier, pre-2006.
Jude was using his own money from 2001 until the mid 2000's. I think it's the famine to feast story, but we might be on Headwize right now if it wasn't for the turn around.

Of course, only Jude knows for sure. 

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2,230 of 21,868
Compare sponsor pricing to average retail yet members can't make a profit on the sale forums. I'm not challenging the program, but don't paint the picture that it's all about the members. Were it not for the members, there would be no Head Fi.

HD-650 Sug. Retail $649, sale price $499   come on

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2,231 of 21,868

Quote:
Compare sponsor pricing to average retail yet members can't make a profit on the sale forums. I'm not challenging the program, but don't paint the picture that it's all about the members. Were it not for the members, there would be no Head Fi.

HD-650 Sug. Retail $649, sale price $499   come on

What is your point about members not being able to profit? Are you talking about flipping, or about people who build DIY audio gear to sell? As for flipping, I really don't think it's a problem. Flipping does happen and members quite deliberately flip under the current system, just on a longer time scale than a few weeks. With headphones that have a forever limited supply and growing demand like the R10, it's inevitable. There is literally nothing Head-Fi moderators can do to counteract natural market forces. As for people who try to flip in-production headphones, the market would likely auto-correct that problem. People will simply refuse to buy from the most egregious flippers, forcing them to lower their prices. The smart flippers would simply sell on ebay or audiogon, which they are already doing. So after an initial short-term rise in prices, I predict that prices would return to normal levels and a redaction of the flipping ban would have little to no effect on used headphone prices. The flipping ban is more of a "moral" policy than one grounded in common sense or economics.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,233 of 21,868

Quote:
its kind of out of the community spirit, dont you think?

I agree with you that it is out of the spirit of Head-Fi. My points were simply that it wouldn't make much difference if the rule were taken away. The 6-month rule and the impossibility of tracking every used sale is really what kills the logic of it in my mind. People who bought a R10 or K1000 in 2005 and sell them for their current value are the ones who make the real money flipping. Now there is nothing wrong with selling a headphone for what it's worth, but my first point is that the rule does not stop people from making a large profit flipping headphones. The flip may be accidental or very deliberate, but it is a result of market forces increasing the prices of certain headphones, and impossible to stop with a rule. My second point was that market forces and "moral outrage" would stop flippers from making any profits on in-production headphones. My arguments are purely economic and hypothetical here. The rule will not be changed and I am not asking for it to be changed either.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,234 of 21,868
On the stock cable....the ends that screw into the headphones themselves....one has a black dot on it and the other has a red dot on it.  Which end screws into which side?  Red to Right and Black to Left?  Or Black to Right and Red to Left?  May seem like a dumb question.  If so, my apologies.  Just want to make sure I connect the stock cable correctly.  Thanks. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,235 of 21,868

Quote:
On the stock cable....the ends that screw into the headphones themselves....one has a black dot on it and the other has a red dot on it.  Which end screws into which side?  Red to Right and Black to Left?  Or Black to Right and Red to Left?  May seem like a dumb question.  If so, my apologies.  Just want to make sure I connect the stock cable correctly.  Thanks. 

red = right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back