HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 10, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #662 of 21,868

Quote:
LCD-2 >> HD-650 from my little listen.

So which do you want to get Matthew? Hehe

Both
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #663 of 21,868
The Concerto is able to drive the HE6 quite well with the gain set to high and output volume of Foobar reduced slightly to -1.09db to offset for the higher gain.
Usual volume with the LCD2(low gain) at 10.30-11, with HE6(high gain) at 11o'clock. 
Straight out of the box the treble extension is better than LCD2, mids are very close but less 'organic' sounding but more open, bass is less pronounced and a tad loose . 

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #665 of 21,868
I doubt that the sound sig will change with time on an ortho. 

What do you feel is wrong with the bass? I think that is one of it's strongest points (along with everything else).

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #666 of 21,868

Quote:
The Concerto is able to drive the HE6 quite well with the gain set to high and output volume of Foobar reduced slightly to -1.09db to offset for the higher gain.
Usual volume with the LCD2(low gain) at 10.30-11, with HE6(high gain) at 11o'clock. 
Straight out of the box the treble extension is better than LCD2, mids are very close but less 'organic' sounding but more open, bass is less pronounced and a tad loose . 

The Concerto is a great little amp, and Jan Meier is really one of our hobby's true geniuses. Glad to hear it handles the HE-6 well.

I'm not worried about the Beta 22's ability to drive these well in the least.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #668 of 21,868
Bass shouldn't be loose; one of the things that improved with a speaker amp when demoing the prototypes is the bass tightened up. So I would hope that the Concerto came up a tad short in either synergy or power, rather than the HE-6's SQ being at fault even though Fang reportedly does recommend some burn-in time with them.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #670 of 21,868
Dave, will await yr impressions
Quote:
At least one other Melbournian is getting a pair too.

Agreed, will have to try out with different(more powerful amps),sounding sligtly strained at high gain

Quote:
Bass shouldn't be loose; one of the things that improved with a speaker amp when demoing the prototypes is the bass tightened up. So I would hope that the Concerto came up a tad short in either synergy or power, rather than the HE-6's SQ being at fault even though Fang reportedly does recommend some burn-in time with them.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #671 of 21,868

Quote:

I'm a bit confused as to why you keep mentioning the prototype version, when the production version is not the same headphone? Not trying to be rude at all, I am genuinely curious. Has there been some disagreement as to whether the production version is genuinely all that different? I ask because I was under the impression that the production version is more efficient, making the use of a speaker amp overkill.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #675 of 21,868

Quote:
I'm a bit confused as to why you keep mentioning the prototype version, when the production version is not the same headphone? Not trying to be rude at all, I am genuinely curious. Has there been some disagreement as to whether the production version is genuinely all that different? I ask because I was under the impression that the production version is more efficient, making the use of a speaker amp overkill.

The prototype version is all that I have heard, so they are all that I can comment on until my production pair arrives. The differences (besides efficiency) between it and the production version have been reported upon by others here and there to varying degrees, but I am hoping (and assuming) that there are more similarities than differences between the two versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back