HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #391 of 21,868
So Aaron, I believe you’d recommend to those (like myself) who are on the waiting list for a pair of LCD-2s to just ditch them and go for the HE-6s?

I believe Larry would agree on that, yes?

(I hope your excitement will oulast the honeymoon BTW :¬)

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #392 of 21,868
Reading the impressions of Skylab and others, I get the distinct feeling that the HE-6 and the LCD-2 are both impressive and unique enough to make deciding a clear victor difficult.

If I were you, I wouldn't cancel the LCD-2s. Give them a listen. See for yourself if you like them. You can always sell them easily and quickly in the sales forum, since they're in demand.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #393 of 21,868
Good advice, MuppetFace.  The HE-6 versions everyone has heard except Aaron (immtbiker) sounded sufficiently different from the LCD-2 that one or the other is likely to appeal more to some folks than the other, depending on your preferences.  I don't doubt that Aaron prefers the HE-6 - he wasn't completely smitten with the LCD-2 and IIRC, for reasons that exactly the ways in which the HE-6 differs from the LCD-2 (top-end spectral balance).

The only way to know which any given person will prefer, alas, is to compare them. I am fortunate to be in a position to own both - I certainly plan to send Fang my money as soon as the HE-6 are available for purchase, but I won't be ditching my LCD-2's, I can assure you.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #394 of 21,868
Great! Smells like another potential FOTM. 

First HD800, a few months? later T1, same again with the LCD2, now it is time for the HE6...
Similar story with IEMs. Now it is JH era. Before it was UE, or Westone...
All of them the best  

There is no way you can get some decent information out of all of that without risking your money...

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #398 of 21,868
Yeah, I would think at the moment they'll actually fetch all of your money back.  The lack of immediate availability helps the sale value of these IMO.  There would probably even be takers if one decided to flip it for profit but this is something no one should do it of course.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #399 of 21,868
My hobby is to listen to music and enjoy it as much as possible. I'd rather throw cash on albums than on headphones. 

Quote:
Well isn't that half of the fun of this hobby?

Yet you loose the shipping money + customs payed. If you start counting money like that (imagine you decide to try the current top tier headphones) you end up being able to buy a great headphone setup. Some of us want to avoid doing that.

BTW, isn't the purpose of this site to give you ideas of what to buy without needing to buy them all and try them all? However it is working the other way around... Interesting, isn't it? 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I fail to see how it's that much of a "risk" when most retailers will let you return what you buy.

Plus it works great if you live in the US, but living in Europe in most case is a pain in the ass. Doesn't work so well for some of us.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #400 of 21,868

Quote:
Yeah, I would think at the moment they'll actually fetch all of your money back.  The lack of immediate availability helps the sale value of these IMO.  There would probably even be takers if one decided to flip it for profit but this is something no one should do it of course.

when the back orders get caught up the price in resale will go down and thats a fact. Sooner or later it will catch up

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #401 of 21,868
A successful HE-6 would certainly cut into back orders of the LCD-2.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #402 of 21,868

Quote:
Great! Smells like another potential FOTM. 

First HD800, a few months? later T1, same again with the LCD2, now it is time for the HE6...
Similar story with IEMs. Now it is JH era. Before it was UE, or Westone...
All of them the best  

There is no way you can get some decent information out of all of that without risking your money...

That's why there is a loaner program...

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #403 of 21,868

Quote:
That's why there is a loaner program...

not for the chanded new edition of the headphone. It is different and really needs to be released and hopefully Fang will have his free trial period. I wish I would taken the new edition when it was offered so I know how it compares to the new one. Maybe Aaron will let me and Baka take a listen.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #404 of 21,868

Quote:
not for the chanded new edition of the headphone. It is different and really needs to be released and hopefully Fang will have his free trial period. I wish I would taken the new edition when it was offered so I know how it compares to the new one. Maybe Aaron will let me and Baka take a listen.

well then an independent loaner program when they are released. Or go to meets if you want to listen (referring to Bullseye). What I'm trying to say is there is no money risk unless you get scammed by the seller but that won't happen with Head-direct.

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #405 of 21,868
Now if only they could add a metal badge of some kind and place it exactly in the middle of the cups with the words 'pure execellence', that would satisfy me completely in the cosmetics department.
If it sounds as good as Immtbiker makes it out to be, they should back it with a frequency response chart because you know, a picture can speak a thousand words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back