HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #21,799 of 21,868
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #21,800 of 21,868
Sadly at this moment, no. Wanna at least try to sell them together at first and shipping to America is a complicated process. Yes, its 6-screw. Ill get back to you if things change tho.
Probably for the best. I have a 4-screw LP HE6 and an HE6SEV2, and I really can't hear much of a difference between the two. I'm hoping at some point to try a 6 screw to see if it's more obvious, but I suspect if I can't hear the difference between a 4-screw LP HE6 and a HE6SEV2 I probably wouldn't hear much of a difference with the 6 screw either.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #21,801 of 21,868
Well gues what I spent the evening doing:
tools.jpg

I used the new pliers (and the rubber band for protection) to undo the hanger screws on the new headband

Old screw came undo but the other would not budge so I just sacrificed it with another pair of pliers on the other end

Doing up the new screws was fiddly due to limited access and very poor quality metal - at least I dodged the tiny yoke screws!

Still I have a "working" HE6 now - thanks for all the help

headband-new.jpg

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #21,803 of 21,868
Probably for the best. I have a 4-screw LP HE6 and an HE6SEV2, and I really can't hear much of a difference between the two. I'm hoping at some point to try a 6 screw to see if it's more obvious, but I suspect if I can't hear the difference between a 4-screw LP HE6 and a HE6SEV2 I probably wouldn't hear much of a difference with the 6 screw either.
6 screw bass impact >>>>HE-6 SE and HE-6 SE v2. Never heard the 4 screw but it isn't supposed to have that and its got more treble from what they say

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #21,804 of 21,868
Is a a place somewhere where one can read about of all the different mods, their benefits, risks and drawbacks?
Have you read this whole thread? I believe there's quite a bit in here :)

There are 2 essential basic mods imo:
1 Grill Mod
2 Pads

WRT grill mod, check out arctic grills.
WRT pads, I have heard great stuff about the Beyer dt700 pads. Have just ordered some.

@Sebbai

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #21,805 of 21,868

There are basically 2 essential mods:
1 Grill Mod
2 Pads

WRT pads, I have heard great stuff about the Beyer dt700 pads. Have just ordered some.

@Sebbai
Which pads you like the most? Im about to order Pali pads and Focuspad-A from Hifiman store but have to wait for them to fix whatever bug the site is having. Checkout wants to charge me 178 dollars for shipping:worried:.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #21,806 of 21,868
Which pads you like the most? Im about to order Pali pads and Focuspad-A from Hifiman store but have to wait for them to fix whatever bug the site is having. Checkout wants to charge me 178 dollars for shipping:worried:.
I'd not bother with the Hifiman pads. Just get the rings from Hifiman or AliExpress and start rolling.

Id get the dt770 pads and some TH900 style leather pads from AliExpress

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #21,809 of 21,868

There are basically 2 essential mods:
1 Grill Mod
2 Pads

@Sebbai
Assuming we are leaving an already modified "Code Sex" out of this list (in terms of what is best audibly IMO):

1. PEQ - it's the glue, but, final settings arrived at after the following mods (whichever u use) are in place
2. Fuzzor mod - cuts down cancellations and reflections because the stators are huge - current HFM "stealth" designed to combat this
3. Pads - my favorite is the DCA Ether Angled - see SBAF reviews of HFM & pads from like '14 for why, I have tried 16 on the 500 and 14 on the HE-6 v1 and 4 on the 6 screw. It's on my 6 SE, 500, 5LE
4. Change connectors & internal wiring (make sure the driver is well protected from solder splashes if you do!)
5. Rear Screen (Arctic OG prettier, but newer minimal one is audibly the same as no screen)
6. Cable (the OG cable isn't nearly as bad as some other HFM cables), but the one I did use was oxidized - so probably better to score new one - Custom Cans (UK) my choice but any O2 free cable liable to be better than the OG.

and of course, lots of juice such as a V281 or a Ragnarok - if you use speaker amp - make sure its not leaking DC, and keep the volume at 0 to avoid "on", switching inputs, or dropping tone arm thump.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #21,810 of 21,868
Anyone have these issue? It's not a big deal, but the left side keeps falling off no matter how many times I glue it. Alcohol, then reglue? I haven't addressed it yet because it isn't sound-related.
IMG_3748.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back