HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 3, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #21,616 of 21,868
Oh yeah, absolutely. They also kill off other Hifiman along the way, just by walking past them.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #21,619 of 21,868
Scooped an Open Box OG HE6 from hifiman direct for $540 yesterday. Can hardly believe it still. Psyched to finally meet the elusive legend :)
My money on that it's just SE version, but let us know how it ends.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #21,620 of 21,868
Scooped an Open Box OG HE6 from hifiman direct for $540 yesterday. Can hardly believe it still. Psyched to finally meet the elusive legend :)
I wrote in the 6 SE Adorama thread that there is a chance its got the body/headband of the OG, but the innards are the newer SE. I don't say that to be a negative nellie - but over the past few years folks that had OG's that died were told that they didn't have the machining, parts or even mylar in the same thickness to fix them - and they would offer discounts on other top HFM cans. I'm sure in this thread there are some of these descriptions.

OTOH if your headphone and especially the original headband are the mint - then you probably scored a great coup. take off the rear screen and the pads and send a shot of the innards The SE and OG are not the same. The 4 and the 5 that were also offered are totally different than anything made by HFM now. HFM tried pawning off the HE-5 SE as an update of the 5, and the driver, pads/cup/headband resembled it not a whit physically or the sound signature either.

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #21,621 of 21,868
Sweet. If possible, can you take a picture of the driver? Either cup facing or rear facing would be fine.

Here's a pic of my driver (rear facing) from my modded, reshelled HE-6 (6S):

mBhHFlf.jpg
with the fuzzor mod expertly applied! I put a narrow strip over the bar on my 500 as well.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #21,622 of 21,868
My money on that it's just SE version, but let us know how it ends.
Yeah, I'm guessing the same. The OG HE6s are coming up on 13-14 years old or so? It'd be pretttttttty surprising to see an "open box" version of them come from HiFiMAN and not like an individual owner or reseller. You can find them out of China sometimes, but it's died down a lot over the past 5 years as the headphones got older.

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for the guy, they're still beautiful sounding headphones.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #21,623 of 21,868
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #21,625 of 21,868
Yeah, I'm guessing the same. The OG HE6s are coming up on 13-14 years old or so? It'd be pretttttttty surprising to see an "open box" version of them come from HiFiMAN and not like an individual owner or reseller. You can find them out of China sometimes, but it's died down a lot over the past 5 years as the headphones got older.

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for the guy, they're still beautiful sounding headphones.
I don't believe it is an OG HE6. If Hifiman really had one they would sell it for much more.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #21,628 of 21,868
What do you mean ? Am confused !
Many versions of the same drivers. Listened to, then modified until the final product is decided on. They have rooms devoted to this. I have been there. How many of the 6, I would have no idea of but they do test, run them in for a long time and listen. Yes, the 6 is now years old but who know how many were sitting around. Most likely they didn't know or don't know. I have the very original sent to me by Fang and while not easy to drive, they are exceptional.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #21,629 of 21,868
I don't believe it is an OG HE6. If Hifiman really had one they would sell it for much more.
The asking price for the umbrella "OG" HE-6 has risen again lately - but the 6 screw in practice sells for as low as $950-1100 (even if the ask is $1400or more. However the 4 screw and the various "SEX" mods of the 6, 4, 5, 5LE, and I believe the 500 too sell for quite a bit more, and maybe 4 or 5 a year of those go up for sale. Tough get.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #21,630 of 21,868
The asking price for the umbrella "OG" HE-6 has risen again lately - but the 6 screw in practice sells for as low as $950-1100 (even if the ask is $1400or more. However the 4 screw and the various "SEX" mods of the 6, 4, 5, 5LE, and I believe the 500 too sell for quite a bit more, and maybe 4 or 5 a year of those go up for sale. Tough get.
Hello? What are these? Asking for a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back