HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 20, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #19,171 of 21,868
I have also considered the Audeze leather pads for better bass performance (tighter and perhaps deeper sub bass because it may be more airtight) and applying felt on the inner sides of the pads to absorb eventual excess treble. However, I haven't seen anybody reporting how the leathers perform compared to the vegans regarding bass, so I have been hesitant investing the money...

Ive got the Alpha Pads, but i never liked how they sounded with the HE6. Treble was a glaring issue, and mids were subdued. I have a guy who's wanting to sell me his extra pair he got from Audeze for $50can, so i might give it a shot

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #19,173 of 21,868
I thought Armaegis already said they are too bright.

What is wrong with the Vegans for you, or are you just in the mood to experiment?

Let us know what you think, please.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #19,174 of 21,868
I hear very little difference( on the HE 6) between the Audeze leathers and the Alpha pads.

The only minor differences at the Audeze
pads are less comfortable (seem is on my ear/harder leather) and a bit brighter.

To my ears, the two best sounding/comfortable pads are the Vegans and the old school J-money pads, different presentation from one to the other, but they both are great for long sessions and diffuse the highs a bit.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #19,176 of 21,868
This post

LCD-2 earpads have arrived - I have been testing for a few days now.  I hope to assemble this information into a review soon but here are some initial pictures and notes:

Leather LCD-2 earpads:

Unfortunately these are a bit bigger than the STAX 007 mkii earpads - but luckily they come with their own plastic base-plates which can then be attached to the HifiMan base-plates.
Comfort wise these are excellent - better than the stock pads or even the STAX 007's - absolutely no contact with my ears at all - ultra supra-aural.
Bass impact is subjectively a step down from the STAX, and those about equal with HifiMan pleathers.
Midrange has greater clarity than the 007 pads as well as the HifiMan pleathers (which have recessed mids to my ears).  Upper midrange is more clearly articulated whereas the 007 pads smooth the upper mids.  The LCD-2 leathers however retain some body and warmth in the mids while adding clarity.
Imaging is even better than the STAX pads and makes them sound comparatively flawed in this regard.  Much more forward projection and space to the soundstage and much better imaging.  These are the real deal in this regard.
Cost: $80 plus postage from audeze.com

LCD-2 faux suede "vegan" pads
Unsurprisingly these are very similar to the leather Audeze pads - same imaging, very similar bass response (too close for me to tell at this stage) frequency balance identical as far as I can tell.
What these do offer is unsurpassed clarity and transparency throughout the frequencies but especially in the midrage which is very similar to the stock velour pads in terms of transparency but more balanced in the treble and upper mids.  
Almost laid bare, there is very little sign of body-enhancing resonance except for a very slight airiness or dither to the sound which pervades the frequencies.  This is really not bothersome at all but it does separate this from the leather Audeze pads.  Overall these are slightly less lush than the leather pads, slightly more airy whereas the leather pads had slightly more body - but the two are really very close.
Unfortunately the vegan Audeze do look terrible on the HE-6, but some may not mind how they look.

Overall I preferred both of these to the STAX which by comparison sound compromised.  For imaging the STAX are 50% improved on HifiMan, these are 100% there.  They are also clear winners for comfort and soundstage, as well as clarity over the 007 pads.
If you don't mind the way these look and are not averse to (a very small amount of) DIY then I highly recommend trying these pads.  They are dirt cheap compared to the 007 mkii pads, excellent quality, and will probably make a much greater impact on the sound than aftermarket cables.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #19,177 of 21,868
I read something that counteracted Arm's statement. Basically more lush than the vegans he said

Not quite.

I said I have Beyerdynamic-style leather pads. They are deeper overall. This shape typically produces a bit more oomph in the low end, though I'm speaking in generalities and not specifically about the Audezes. Leather/pleather interiors are also more reflective and can make aspects of the upper mids/lower treble stronger. Again, that's in general and not necessarily indicative of the Audeze pads.

As per my personal preference, I like my pads over the Audeze vegans, but also use additional felt and acoustic fibres to achieve the balance I want.

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #19,179 of 21,868
  I have also considered the Audeze leather pads for better bass performance (tighter and perhaps deeper sub bass because it may be more airtight) and applying felt on the inner sides of the pads to absorb eventual excess treble. However, I haven't seen anybody reporting how the leathers perform compared to the vegans regarding bass, so I have been hesitant investing the money...

I agree, Audeze leather pads have more and firmer bass than the Audeze vegan pads. The leather pads are more reflective in the treble, which I didn’t like with the HE6. With Audeze LCD3 a boost in higher mids and treble on the other hand sounded better. Hybrid Audeze pads that are made of leather but which have micro suedes fabric on the inner sides should be great. Felt could maybe be pushing it too far, if it’s only the reflective treble you want to avoid. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #19,180 of 21,868
I put the felt ring from the Hifiman pleathers into the vegans before. Was watching the Legend Of Korra 4th season, and for some reason in the fourth season in particular, the characters voices were recorded with some obvious flaws (siblance). Putting the felt ring made that go away, but took away something special from the headphones. If the treble is really really bad with the Audeze Leathers, i think the felt would be a perfect touch to fix it.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #19,182 of 21,868
I'm interested in purchasing the HE-6 but I have some concerns. My primary HP right now is the HD600. I'm very happy with it but I'm looking for something "different." My thought is a planar magnetic will have a noticeable sound signature different than the Sennheiser. I'm curious how these headphones compare/contrast. Or should I look to the Ether Flow or maybe the Elear? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #19,183 of 21,868
I'm interested in purchasing the HE-6 but I have some concerns. My primary HP right now is the HD600. I'm very happy with it but I'm looking for something "different." My thought is a planar magnetic will have a noticeable sound signature different than the Sennheiser. I'm curious how these headphones compare/contrast. Or should I look to the Ether Flow or maybe the Elear? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

You will need a powerful amp for the HE6.
S/Q wise, i think the HE6 has more of a resolving and transparent sound. Detail retrieval is superb, bass is tight and not overwhelming, vocals is smooth and very transparent. Overall a reference quality headphone with the right amp.

Cant compare to HD600 as I do not have them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back