HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 31, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #17,281 of 21,868
@Music Alchemist : Forget HE-6 if you want to power it with something inappropriate. I tried ( T amp SMSL SA 50 ) and it definitely  not match the result I got from the audioGD HE-9 for example. Just forget the HE-6 and this thread if you are here to ask questions that are answered numerous time in this thread .

Just do a search. this thread is one of the last quiet place where the S/N ratio is not that bad. Please just do some efforts to keep it like that. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #17,282 of 21,868
Got my Lawton pads today. Sounds its better imaging, but I need to compare more, its defently more comfy tho. 
However, the pads hole isent in the center, so my OCD kicks in and tell me thats bad for the sound. Is it? 

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #17,283 of 21,868
  Got my Lawton pads today. Sounds its better imaging, but I need to compare more, its defently more comfy tho. 
However, the pads hole isent in the center, so my OCD kicks in and tell me thats bad for the sound. Is it? 

So it looks like on this photo?

Then it's a planned off-center design - and REALLY bad for the sound
very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #17,284 of 21,868
@Music Alchemist : Forget HE-6 if you want to power it with something inappropriate. I tried ( T amp SMSL SA 50 ) and it definitely  not match the result I got from the audioGD HE-9 for example. Just forget the HE-6 and this thread if you are here to ask questions that are answered numerous time in this thread .

Just do a search. this thread is one of the last quiet place where the S/N ratio is not that bad. Please just do some efforts to keep it like that. 
LOL.....! Testify.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #17,285 of 21,868
Found an affordable female 4-pin XLR to banana plug adapter cable! I'll share the link once I've ordered one, since the build time is 2-3 weeks and I don't want to have to wait longer than necessary.

I'm just gonna get an Emotiva mini-X a-100 to start with. I've read very positive impressions of it with the HE6. But I don't remember mentioning wanting to power it with something inappropriate (??)...and I do intend on upgrading to a high-end speaker amp sooner or later. Unfortunately, I do not have time to read through the entire thread at this time.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #17,286 of 21,868
  Unfortunately, I do not have time to read through the entire thread at this time.

Considering how many posts your write here or there each day, I'm sure you have enough time to do a proper search and read instead. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #17,287 of 21,868
  Considering how many posts your write here or there each day, I'm sure you have enough time to do a proper search and read instead. 

What do you suggest I search for specifically, to sift through irrelevant information? I've already found the amp to get now, and I can talk to owners privately about ultimate speaker amps for the HE6 when the time comes. Not even sure what your issue was with my posts about amps in this thread, because I already indicated that I found something good for the price.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #17,289 of 21,868
  Music Alchemist, just curious what your thought process is for picking the Emotiva?  I haven't driven the HE-6 with a power amp yet and would like to know as you seem to have done your research.

Someone who has done more research than I have (and I've done hours, though that just made things more confusing) recommended it to me for something good under $300. I looked for impressions of how it pairs with the HE6, and they were very positive. Plus it looks cool and has all the features I need. Someone I talk to frequently used to own it as well. Seems like a great choice for a starter amp. I'll probably get a used high-end speaker amp sometime in the next year, once my budget is a lot higher. Just not sure whether I should add an SR-009 system before then or focus on optimizing the HE6 system.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #17,290 of 21,868
Preproman has had all the gear being discussed so maybe he'll chime in. The baby Emos are a student's budget kit. Not the best but better than many headphone amps. The quality used amp is the best value and many have settled with. Once you have installed your cable, you may have an interest in trying other dynamic headphones on said amp. I ran HD-800, 650, K-70x, Beyer T-1, LCD-2, etc. and the LCDs were the least impacted by the change. The others handled the speaker amp quite well.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #17,292 of 21,868
I seriously do not understand how the Mini-X got so popular and why it keeps getting recommended. One guy makes a thread about it and it spirals out of control. The Mini-X may be a great bargain of a speaker amp, and it does a nice job hooked up to a stax transformer, but it is underwhelming with the HE-6.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #17,293 of 21,868
Yes I did drive the HD-650s on it. Be careful of the volume but yes, they sound good. Make sure they are wired with separate grounds unless the amp shares a common negative.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #17,294 of 21,868
  I seriously do not understand how the Mini-X got so popular and why it keeps getting recommended. One guy makes a thread about it and it spirals out of control. The Mini-X may be a great bargain of a speaker amp, and it does a nice job hooked up to a stax transformer, but it is underwhelming with the HE-6.

Hmmm. Can you please compare how the HE6 sounded to you from the MOON Neo 430HA and Emotiva mini-X a-100? I ask because the HE6 did not impress me at all from the MOON amp and did not sound visceral, impactful, and exciting like everyone talks about how it sounds from (at least some) speaker amps. Also, which amp(s) under $300 would you recommend?

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #17,295 of 21,868

Underwhelming compared to what for $200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back