HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 31, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #16,996 of 21,868
Where does one source the white double sided round tape rings? What type of bat fill did you use? Did you find the HEK less listenable than the HE-6?

Bat fill? What's that?

I still prefer the HE-6. HE1k didn't have what I was looking for.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #16,997 of 21,868
Old school speaker designers and DIY suppliers have call speaker cabinet insulation, Bat.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #16,998 of 21,868
@rawster : Defnitely agree with you.  I'll let my HD800 go to some friends during my holidays and I take care to put a Vali in the package in order I can be confident they'll have a decent experience with the HD800.  BTW, My point was more that , considering the Mjo is powerful enough, the wisest thing to do is to buy a used HE-6 , listen to it and decide if the envy to go further is there or not. What's defnitely not wise is to sell everything and purchase blindly a 3K headphone .     

I heard HE-6 from very inappropriate amps ( SMSL SA-50/HE-adapater : harsh , Meier Prehead : lean, underpowered ) and from a very good one ( AudioGD HE-9) and the difference is very significant but even the SMSL was enough to let me understand that the HE-6 has some potential.   

Totally agree

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #16,999 of 21,868
Totally agree

Coming from HE500 + speaker amp, IMO, he6 + speaker amp = even more awesome, even when compared to hd800 on a good tube amp.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #17,000 of 21,868
Coming from HE500 + speaker amp, IMO, he6 + speaker amp = even more awesome, even when compared to hd800 on a good tube amp.
. I did experience this , I built a rig around the hd800 with norne draug , alo studio six and Decware csp3 preamp - to me the he6 +f1j is better

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #17,008 of 21,868
Summer confirmed but indicated the HE6 will be discontinued this month
frown.gif

This Month ??? That's insane...

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #17,009 of 21,868
I was under the impression that the he6 was already discontinued. I wish they had a successor announced prior to discontinuing the he6 however...

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #17,010 of 21,868
I was under the impression that the he6 was already discontinued. I wish they had a successor announced prior to discontinuing the he6 however...

That's what I was told by my retailer. Appears to have been dropped from the lists of other major Australian retailers too.

Edit: BTW, I now have the Xindak PA-M class A 25W power amp in my system and hooked up to the HE-6.

The external construction of this amp is ridiculous for the price - it looks and feels like it should cost (at least) 3x the price.
Had an issue with the balanced input - haven't had time to sort out if this is a cable or amp issue at this stage.
Using the unbalanced inputs I also had an issue with my normal unsheilded interconnects  - I got a slight buzz in one of the channels - these cables are dead quiet with my Khartago amp. Substituting a Furutech shielded cable eliminated this. This is a bit annoying to me, but won't concern most people as almost all 'normal' cables are shielded.
It's probably unfair to critique this amp with only about 12hrs use, but (at the moment) I would say it lacks the neutrality, inner detailing and greater spaciousness of the Khartago.
The Xindak also has a darker tonality than the Khartago, which may be appealing to some but it does leave more a thumbprint on the music than the more neutral Khartago - curtailing some of the freshness and individuality of music. It's worth noting that my Odyssey Khartago has most of the optional factory upgrades which make it about twice the price of the Xindak.

Comparisons to the Khartago aside, I think the Xindak sounds quite good. I like it better than my memory of the Violectric V281 which offers similar power into 50 ohms but is considerably more expensive. In material terms the Xindak would appear to offer far better value than the Violectric, though of course its just a power amp. 
Another thing of interest - the Xindak has output power meters which are calibrated (?) to show W/8ohms. So far, even at loud levels, I haven't seen these meters go over 3.75W - which equates to about 0.6W/50ohms. Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back