HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #16,411 of 21,868
As bitsnbytes says the purpose of the original quarter foam is to keep your ear from touching the grill, and most likely also to tame some of the treble down. If you plan to do the "Fuzzor" mod, putting felt on the inner grill, the point of having the original quarter foam there is pretty much gone IMO.

May 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #16,412 of 21,868
  My second hand HE-6s have a small 1cm wide semi curved strip of felt applied to the upper edge of the upper quadrant of the inner driver surface...the triangular foam piece was not there...

Do I need to refit the foam triangles and what do they do?

Ciao Guido,

Good to see you made the move and finally joined the club :)

The felt covers the quarter of the circle normally.
There are various possibilities to play with it from removing the felt completely, using different size / layers or applying a fuzor mod. Your mod probably intent to widen the sound stage and make it sound clearer (pls correct me if I’m wrong).

Changing it back is up to you, but I would listen to it for a while to see if you like it. There is no reason to change it if it suits you. If you get a chance, try to get an unmodded HE6 for a few days from someone around to compare.

May 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #16,413 of 21,868
Howdy...nice to hear from you!

Yep, loving the HE-6s ...running them off 2 Norh LeAmp monoblocks and they sound stunning.

So far I have removed the gauze, foam and cotton wool from the outer driver side and I like how they sound. I do not yet feel the need to do a fuzzor mod...I do not have a problem with the treble.

I do want to get rid of the XLR female  4 wire adaptor and simply hardwire the copper Hifiman cable to 4 speaker banana plugs...one less cable and 2 connectors out of the equation can only be good...

Ciao

May 21, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #16,415 of 21,868
  Yup, hardwire these cans is the way to go.
I opted for a safer approach for the time being and got a Mogami 2534 straight between the speaker taps and the HE-6 connectors. Love it.

Ok, I just finished recabling the HE-6s with Mogami 2534 straight to the monoblocks...lets see.....

May 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #16,417 of 21,868
yep, very careful! 
blink.gif

May 21, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #16,419 of 21,868
  yep, very careful! 
blink.gif

did you swap the cables to A/B SQ difference with Hardwire? with all other mods you are doing hardwire may not have effected at all

I am getting Mundorf Silver/Gold wire and planing to hardwire as well and interested in your findings.

May 21, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #16,420 of 21,868

did you swap the cables to A/B SQ difference with Hardwire? with all other mods you are doing hardwire may not have effected at all

I am getting Mundorf Silver/Gold wire and planing to hardwire as well and interested in your findings.

To be perfectly honest it sounds exactly the same with the Mogami hardwired...I am not a big believer in the cable hype..it just looks neater and is more manageable
tongue.gif

May 21, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #16,421 of 21,868

To be perfectly honest it sounds exactly the same with the Mogami hardwired...I am not a big believer in the cable hype..it just looks neater and is more manageable
tongue.gif

even I was not a believer, till I custom build this wire using same Mogomi wire you have. It made HE-6 sound thin, sole and body HE-6 know for went missing. May be braiding I used, messed it up.

but I am firm believer now.

May 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #16,422 of 21,868

even I was not a believer, till I custom build this wire using same Mogomi wire you have. It made HE-6 sound thin, sole and body HE-6 know for went missing. May be braiding I used, messed it up.

That's a very tight braid and looking at it I think all your wires are twisting in the same direction as well. You could have very well induced capacitance in the cable which acts as a high pass filter, rolling off the low end and sucking the "body" out of the sound.

That's just my edumacated guess though. *shrug*

May 21, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #16,423 of 21,868

That's a very tight braid and looking at it I think all your wires are twisting in the same direction as well. You could have very well induced capacitance in the cable which acts as a high pass filter, rolling off the low end and sucking the "body" out of the sound.

You guess could be correct thanks for pointing it out, anyway I already trashed that cable that's where it belongs. Sad part is, I had spend lot of money and time making it...
angry_face.gif
....good learning experience though.

Davialet 120 ->HE-6 is  already a trilling setup, on par with BHSE->SR009. But I want to check what difference will Mundorf Silver/Gold hardwire will make, this time I will do regular braid.

May 21, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #16,424 of 21,868

Don't you mean high inductance? Its the same with using resistors with high inductance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back