HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 1, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #15,781 of 21,868
  for everyone talking about the EC445, DO NOT generalize your personal experience with one tube amp to all tube amps in general with all configurations, that's foolish for obvious reasons other than the fact that there is almost 1.8x difference in price so no more flaming for that amp in this thread please 
redface.gif
before drawing conclusions towards tube/SS amps you should try multiple REAL no-holds-barred amps(if cost really wasn't an object to them) from both SS/tube camps(either really costly DIY projects or REALLY costly current-manufacture amps like(from the top of my head) WAVAC or something) because as you know vacuum tubes are just the icing on the cake, if you want to pick the best parts you could get for your amp you could spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on capacitors alone, let alone transformers/resistors/hookup wire/sockets....etc. and at the very end come the actual tubes(one link in the chain).
note: tube tech+ dynamic/planar transducers work,beautifully at times, but I believe tubes belong to direct-drive electrostatics instead(where the real magic happens
evil_smiley.gif
)

Can't speak for the '445' but I quite like my HE-6/tube monaural amps pairing, along with my Sansui solid state offering.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #15,782 of 21,868
  for everyone talking about the EC445, DO NOT generalize your personal experience with one tube amp to all tube amps in general with all configurations, that's foolish for obvious reasons other than the fact that there is almost 1.8x difference in price so no more flaming for that amp in this thread please 
redface.gif
before drawing conclusions towards tube/SS amps you should try multiple REAL no-holds-barred amps(if cost really wasn't an object to them) from both SS/tube camps(either really costly DIY projects or REALLY costly current-manufacture amps like(from the top of my head) WAVAC or something) because as you know vacuum tubes are just the icing on the cake, if you want to pick the best parts you could get for your amp you could spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on capacitors alone, let alone transformers/resistors/hookup wire/sockets....etc. and at the very end come the actual tubes(one link in the chain).
note: tube tech+ dynamic/planar transducers work,beautifully at times, but I believe tubes belong to direct-drive electrostatics instead(where the real magic happens
evil_smiley.gif
)

not sure i saw anyone drawing conclusions about tube v ss anywhere here (except maybe your last sentence).  also not sure saw anyone flaming for or against the EC 445.  own three amps with tubes and i personally think they work well with the he6 (although the set needs more juice for some types of music).  i do agree that experience with one amp is experience with one amp

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #15,783 of 21,868

not sure i saw anyone drawing conclusions about tube v ss anywhere here (except maybe your last sentence).  also not sure saw anyone flaming for or against the EC 445.  own three amps with tubes and i personally think they work well with the he6 (although the set needs more juice for some types of music).  i do agree that experience with one amp is experience with one amp

"not sure i saw anyone drawing conclusions about tube v ss anywhere here">>"It was a really nice amp and maybe that's the nature of the tube, but I didn't like it at all."

"(except maybe your last sentence)">>**my last sentence was meant towards the prospect of using high impedance high voltage devices(tubes) with high voltage and very high impedance transducers(electrostatics) and avoid output transformers, that's all.

" also not sure saw anyone flaming for or against the EC 445" spreading the word on how people are selling their 445s gives Craig's products undeserved bad rep.

" own three amps with tubes and i personally think they work well with the he6 (although the set needs more juice for some types of music).  i do agree that experience with one amp is experience with one amp" 100% 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #15,784 of 21,868
"not sure i saw anyone drawing conclusions about tube v ss anywhere here">>"It was a really nice amp and maybe that's the nature of the tube, but I didn't like it at all."

"(except maybe your last sentence)">>**my last sentence was meant towards the prospect of using high impedance high voltage devices(tubes) with high voltage and very high impedance transducers(electrostatics) and avoid output transformers, that's all.

" also not sure saw anyone flaming for or against the EC 445" spreading the word on how people are selling their 445s gives Craig's products undeserved bad rep.

" own three amps with tubes and i personally think they work well with the he6 (although the set needs more juice for some types of music).  i do agree that experience with one amp is experience with one amp" 100% :D  

Cannot agree on the point about selling. What people do is pretty revealing as were some of the additional comments that followed.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #15,785 of 21,868
this is a forum after all, wasn't my place to order people around, sorry for that 
frown.gif

it's just that after reading about the selling I got the feeling that anyone who would have had that amp on his/her list would quickly scratch it off after reading those statements 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #15,786 of 21,868
  this is a forum after all, wasn't my place to order people around, sorry for that 
frown.gif

it's just that after reading about the selling I got the feeling that anyone who would have had that amp on his/her list would quickly scratch it off after reading those statements 
normal_smile .gif

I'm not sure what this is about.  This is a forum, that's correct.  A place to talk about your likes and your dislikes about different gear.  

People buy and sell their gear all the time, either because it suits their taste or it does not suit their taste, and it's all good to share how you feel or felt about it.

There should be a balance between the hype train and the people who share their impressions base on their own merit - and not based on the hype train. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #15,790 of 21,868
Oh we do. We are not part of the marketing shineola. This site lost thousands of great members because they didn't want to be used for this site's profit.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #15,795 of 21,868
Finally got my HE-6 today.  It has really surprised me with the sound.  I am using my Audio-GD DAC 19 DSP, upstream are Zu Ash BNC SPDIF, iFi iLink, iFi Purifier, Audioquest Diamond USB, iFi iUsb Power, fed by Windows 8.1 running jPlay, file management jRiver MC 20, FLAC and WAV files!  Out of the DAC, Audioquest Colorado IC's to my Denon 4800, 125wpc in 8ohms, probably 15 - 20wpc to the headphones from the speaker taps.  I am using the Norne Solv X, which is excellent in this application.  I'm using Focus Pads on the HE-6, that is other wise completely stock.  This is the very best I have heard, and I have had all of the Audeze phones other than the XC!  At this point, with my excellent setup, I have no need to do any "fazor mod", or "grille mod".  Just can't believe the sound I am getting!  The HE-6 is for sure a well kept secret, such a natural sound, like the phones aren't even on your head!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back