HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #15,001 of 21,868
Being hard to drive shouldn't separate the HE-6 apart from the rest of the headphones on the market, or the HE-6's successor.  It's a bad quality in the first place.  Saying you wish the opposite and/or want to make it less accessible is elitist.  I don't know why people assume that harder to drive = better sound, and there is a difference between being harder to drive vs being easy to drive and scaling tremendously with better upstream gear.

I hope the HE-6's successor is more sensitive just like the rest of Hifiman's new headphones and the Audezes.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #15,002 of 21,868
Maybe it shouldn't - but it does.

You have your opinion just like every one else.  The people who already own the HE-6 and put work in to get them where they want them has the right to want the next headphone a certain way if they decide to.  Who are you to say otherwise. 

It's ridiculous how non HE-6 owners come on this thread saying the HE-6 has a bad quality or a flaw.  Obviously Dr. Fang does not think so and obviously most owners don't think so.  

That's why the HE-6 is the only headphone in the product line that has not changed - excluding the HE-300 of course.   Every other headphone has changed and some multiple times.  Not the HE-6.  That's because it not a flaw - it's the way he wanted it to be.

I hope the new HE-6 is even more harder to drive.

Name one current production Planar Magnetic headphone that scales tremendously with better upstream gear?

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #15,003 of 21,868
  Being hard to drive shouldn't separate the HE-6 apart from the rest of the headphones on the market, or the HE-6's successor.  It's a bad quality in the first place.  Saying you wish the opposite and/or want to make it less accessible is elitist.  I don't know why people assume that harder to drive = better sound, and there is a difference between being harder to drive vs being easy to drive and scaling tremendously with better upstream gear.

I hope the HE-6's successor is more sensitive just like the rest of Hifiman's new headphones and the Audezes.

i wonder why you assume that it would be easy for them to get the same or better sound and also easier to drive.  i truly doubt that they started with hard to drive as a goal, it likely is what it took to get the sound they wanted and some of us like.  maybe they can achieve the same thing now with more efficiency, maybe not.  but we do not need another headphone that sounds like what is already out there.  

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #15,004 of 21,868

Can you show us where people have said this?  I agree that a more efficient HE-6 would be desirable, but we don't know why the strong magnets are used by Dr. Bien.  Do you know why?

I believe people use the HE-6 because they prefer the sound even with the headphone requiring much more power than the others in the market.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #15,005 of 21,868
It's a horrible flaw, making the new HE-6 sound better out of less powerful equipment without demanding speaker taps is a win for everybody, and your elitist club could be satisfied with the HE-6 successor's price of admission-- sad really that I have to paint the picture that way in front of you, Preproman.

Again, insensitivity has always been a labeled negative of planar magnetics, and the general trend of the planar market  has been to make better sensitive headphones over time.  I'll reiterate there is a difference between being plain hard to drive and being easy to drive while also scaling very well with equipment.  Being the next flagship in their line, I'm sure Fang will choose whatever methods to make the he-6 successor sound as good as possible, but to blindly want it to be even harder to drive than the HE-6 for the sake of exclusiveness reeks of classlessness.  

Who cares if I'm not an HE-6 user? I'm someone who very much likes the 560, and has high hopes for the new Hifiman flagship.  I hope it scales very well, but I do NOT hope I have to build a power plant around it just so I can feel like I'm part of an exclusive good ol' boy's club that always rags out other people for not driving their flagship properly because they're not using 100 watt monoblocks.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #15,006 of 21,868
  Can you show us where people have said this?  I agree that a more efficient HE-6 would be desirable, but we don't know why the strong magnets are used by Dr. Bien.  Do you know why?

I believe people use the HE-6 because they prefer the sound even with the headphone requiring much more power than the others in the market.

The strong magnets are used because the stronger the magnet the better the efficiency.  The HE-6 is part of the oldest line of Hifiman's headphones, all of which aren't too sensitive-- HE-4 and HE-5 included.  The planar tech has advanced since then.

I'm not advocating Hifiman to limit the HE-6's successor's sound for the sake of efficiency, but I'm also not advocating them deliberately make it inefficient for the sake of exclusiveness.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #15,007 of 21,868

The strong magnets are used because the stronger the magnet the better the efficiency.  The HE-6 is part of the oldest line of Hifiman's headphones, all of which aren't too sensitive-- HE-4 and HE-5 included.  The planar tech has advanced since then.

I'm not advocating Hifiman to limit the HE-6's successor's sound for the sake of efficiency, but I'm also not advocating them deliberately make it inefficient for the sake of exclusiveness.

So the 560 has stronger magnets than the HE-6?

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #15,008 of 21,868
  So the 560 has stronger magnets than the HE-6?

Who knows?  The magnets are just one part of the equation for drive sensitivity.  You have to account for the driver as a whole, including distance from the magnets, the diaphragm material. and tracings themselves.  I'm not Dr. Fang so I can't give you specifics on the workings of their planar magnetics.  Their new single-sided planar magnetics, the HE-400i and 560 are vastly more sensitive than the HE-4 though, and they sound tremendous for their price.

Either way I hope Fang and company can make the new flagship as best as it can sound.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #15,009 of 21,868

I would not worry too much about hifiman intentionally making them difficult so that fewer people will buy them. I assume we will see a successor when they think they have something better or that will sell more. My only concern is that they do not sacrifice what is sounds like in order to make it more accessible,

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #15,010 of 21,868
  It's a horrible flaw, making the new HE-6 sound better out of less powerful equipment without demanding speaker taps is a win for everybody, and your elitist club could be satisfied with the HE-6 successor's price of admission-- sad really that I have to paint the picture that way in front of you, Preproman.

Again, insensitivity has always been a labeled negative of planar magnetics, and the general trend of the planar market  has been to make better sensitive headphones over time.  I'll reiterate there is a difference between being plain hard to drive and being easy to drive while also scaling very well with equipment.  Being the next flagship in their line, I'm sure Fang will choose whatever methods to make the he-6 successor sound as good as possible, but to blindly want it to be even harder to drive than the HE-6 for the sake of exclusiveness reeks of classlessness.  

Who cares if I'm not an HE-6 user? I'm someone who very much likes the 560, and has high hopes for the new Hifiman flagship.  I hope it scales very well, but I do NOT hope I have to build a power plant around it just so I can feel like I'm part of an exclusive good ol' boy's club that always rags out other people for not driving their flagship properly because they're not using 100 watt monoblocks.

Your not painting nothing.  Who are you????????   To tell that man that his headphone design is a flaw?  Again, it's what he wanted it to be.

The facts are this.  The HE-6 is on the market.  The HE-6 is still the TOTL headphone in the line up.  The HE-6 has not been changed, upgraded, side graded or nothing.  Who wants the headphone to sound like all others in the line up?  

It's not about a club or being exclusive.  It's about good sounding headphones.  And if he has to use the hard to drive Gold Tracers to do so - then so be it.  Sorry that your trying your best to make it seem that way.  And that's what reeks of classlessness.  Trying to make something sound like an exclusive club.  Just lame.  

Again.  Name one current production Planar Magnetic headphone that scales tremendously with better upstream gear?

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #15,011 of 21,868
I can't give you too much about planar magnetics and their scalability, because even though I've had the pleasure of owning and listening to a lot of the best headphones on the planet, I haven't had the same wealth of knowledge with the high-end amps and dacs.  I've no doubt the HE-6 scales tremendously.

You should go back and reread your previous posts though.  I'm not the only one who got the same vibe from them. 

Who wants the headphone to sound like all others in the line up?  

I don't know what this has to do with anything?

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #15,012 of 21,868
  Yes, I saw a video of Tyll removing the drivers.  Those suckers are strong, and is the reason for requiring such high power to move the diaphram.  I'm curious why he used such strong magnets.

There was a very interesting video a while back where Dr. Fang explains planar magnetic headphones and why the HE-6 is so inefficient. He says that the thinner the diaphragm, the better the sound quality. The drawback however is that the headphone will be harder to drive meaning they will need more powerful magnets and more power. I'll see if I can find the video. This also explains why the HE-6 technically should be superior to the HE-560 since the HE-6 uses double sided magnets versus the single sided magnets for the HE-560.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #15,013 of 21,868
Single sided vs double sided for the HE-6 successor should be interesting, they both offer tradeoffs to me.  With the double sided you get the ultimate drive control and theoretically least amount of distortion and bass impact, but with single-sided you get lighter weight and less acoustic interference.  I wouldn't mind the HE-6 successor having double sided if it meant ultimate bass taughtness, because Hifiman's new headband does a great job at mitigating weight problems.  They need to finally do something about those screw-in connectors though.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #15,014 of 21,868
I mean just coming on a thread and saying this mans headphone is a flaw is just crazy.  Who knows how much money and time in R&D he put in to get the headphones the way he wanted them.  I'm just saying he put out a product that stood the test of time.  He also putout a product line that is very successful.  

We should just enjoy what we have - being it the HE-6, HE-560 or what ever.  The product line has a headphone that will fit just about everyones taste.  

You should go back and reread your previous posts though.  I'm not the only one who got the same vibe from them. 

Who cares??  

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #15,015 of 21,868
It is a flaw to most anybody outside the HE-6 club.  Audeze designed their headphones to sound the best possible to their ears, and it's not like they deliberately designed the LCD line to be heavy as sin, yet to many people, that weight is a huge flaw.

If Hifiman can make an HE-6 successor that both sounds better than the original, and is more comfortable and more efficient on top of that, then it's a win for everybody.  Wanting an HE-6 successor to sound as best as it can is well and good.  Wanting it to be as inefficient than the original  if not more inefficient because you 'already have the 'proper' amps,' and because '(making the HE-6 more efficient) would make the HE-6 no different than the others' is the wrong argument to go about it with.

I'd like very much to buy the the new hifiman flagship, but I wouldn't like being within its community if that's the type of mentality I'd have to converse with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back