HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #14,761 of 21,868
  A quick question, 

I am looking at the PIONEER SX-650 Receiver, spec says 

Output Power : 35 watts per channel at 8 ohm
Freq Res : 10 Hz to 50 kHz

Hifiman HE6's frequency response is from 8 to 65 kHz.

Does this mean this amp does not cover anything above 50 kHz  ?, so will I lose any sound above that freq rate (51 kHz to 65 kHz) ?

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, just not very technical in this area.

Thanks in advance,

We cant hear beyond 20k and most of us non teenagers, probably limited to 15k.  Most treble information is in 5-10k region.  Those specs are not meaninful.  FR graph and noise level is more telling.  Like others said vintage amp is worth a try for low budget.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #14,762 of 21,868
That tells me Taurus isn't enough to drive HE6 ? it's actually useless in balance mode ?
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Nope. My Taurus drives my HE6 just fine in balanced mode. There are reviews out there stating that it drives the HE6 better than the EF6 can.

Having said that, it is very noticeable to me that my WA5, using the K1000 output, takes my modded HE6 into a new world. Bass and imaging change into something very special indeed. I'm guessing this is similar to what happens with speaker taps. It takes the HE6 from 'good' to 'great'. I haven't picked up my LCD-X since I got my WA5 and plugged my HE6 into it.

A similar effect was noted in the review below when comparing the HE6 driven by the GS-X Mk2 and the WA5. Neither the Taurus or the GS-X Mk2 have the juice to wring the last bit of performance from the HE6 - but they both drive it, just not as well as speaker taps / WA5 ... etc can.

Link - HE6 driven by GS-X Mk2

I have never heard the GS-X Mk2 (or seen one in the flesh), so it is hard for me to say, but from the 'feel' of the review above I would suspect that the difference between WA5/Taurus->HE6 is not quite as big a gap as WA5/GS-X Mk2->HE6, but that would be based only on the words used in the review linked above. I would certainly not describe the HE6 driven by the Taurus as "flat" for example - but this is very subjective stuff.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #14,763 of 21,868

No, I don't think. Sorry I do not post often here as I'm just slightly typing challenged :)  My question was if you are going directly to the HE-6 from the amp speaker taps or are you going thru the HFM adapter box. I have a scenario where I would like to use my Prima Luna mono blocks to drive my HE-6 directly and I was wondering if using the box is preferred by you with your amp or you connected directly to the amp and bypassed the box to get better sound. I could not tell from the cable description you gave if you were getting better sound with or without the adapter. Hope this makes sense. Took me a while to respond i'm just a slow typer :)

You'll need to use the HE-Adapter for the Prima Luna mono blocks if the amps have tubes (which I believe they do). The adapter will provide the amps with a load for protection. Currently use my HE-6 both ways, direct off the taps on a monster receiver and via the HE-Adapter for tube mono blocks. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #14,764 of 21,868
This ALLNIC HPA-5000 amp is supposed to do wonder with the HE-6, and.... it looks so good !

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #14,765 of 21,868
  You'll need to use the HE-Adapter for the Prima Luna mono blocks if the amps have tubes (which I believe they do). The adapter will provide the amps with a load for protection. Currently use my HE-6 both ways, direct off the taps on a monster receiver and via the HE-Adapter for tube mono blocks. 

Thank you so much that is exactly the answer I was trying to get. Does it sound better to you going straight off the taps of the monster receiver and if so you attribute it to bypassing the box or is it just as good from the tube amp. Oh yes the PL are tube but I also have an Emotiva that I can run right from the speaker taps if I read you correctly.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #14,766 of 21,868
Thank you so much that is exactly the answer I was trying to get. Does it sound better to you going straight off the taps of the monster receiver and if so you attribute it to bypassing the box or is it just as good from the tube amp. Oh yes the PL are tube but I also have an Emotiva that I can run right from the speaker taps if I read you correctly.

Last thoughts first. It'd be great if fellow members 'preproman', 'wotts' and a few other Emotiva/HE-6 vets weigh-in. Think there could be a attenuation high gain issue. Might need to use a Pre or something.

To point out the obvious, my former solid state Sansui G-22000 receiver and my vacuum tube Shindo Lab F2a Sinhonia monaural amps sound different, HE-Adapter or no (apple orange kinda thing). That said, I don't need to use the adapter with the Sansui. My tube mono blocks need the adapter to keep the Lundahl transformers from burning up, no need for me to do a before and after with the adapter...not with my kit anyway 
tongue_smile.gif
not THAT curious! 

While I enjoy what I hear, I'm looking to improve the quality of an adapter and will definitely report back my experience. Maybe it'll matter a little, greatly or no audible changes detected. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #14,767 of 21,868
  So I am a little confused, are you bypassing the HFM adapter box to get the best sound with the he-6 going straight to the amp taps or are you going thru the HFM connection box.

Straight to the taps.  I was using the HFM box but this direct hookup is way better. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #14,768 of 21,868

I looked at some used pioneers but it's pretty expensive in Toronto.

SX-780/820 is really weak, 45 W at 8ohm - $250
SX-828 is really weak, 55 W at 8ohm - $300
SX-980 is ok, 80 W at 8ohm - $650

So based on the used pioneer pricing from above, I can get a brand new Yamaha AV receiver for $400-$600 during the black Friday sale.
And it will be covered by warranty.

That is expensive.  I got a mint SX-1050 for $400 recently. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #14,770 of 21,868

Well, I do know the Prima Luna mono blocks will sound much better than any Emotiva.  You have to use the box opposed to no box with the Emo.  What Emotiva are we talking about anyway?

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #14,771 of 21,868
  Well, I do know the Prima Luna mono blocks will sound much better than any Emotiva.  You have to use the box opposed to no box with the Emo.  What Emotiva are we talking about anyway?

It's the Emotiva XPA gen2. When I get the box (for the PL's) i was wondering if it would be a waste, if i can just plug in directly to the Emo and lessen the signal path for better sound.

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #14,772 of 21,868
  This ALLNIC HPA-5000 amp is supposed to do wonder with the HE-6, and.... it looks so good !

Looks like an absolute beast
tongue_smile.gif

Not so sure with the HE6. 5W and no balanced output - is that enough? My WA5 does 8W and makes the HE6 sing.

Any Allnic owners out there that have tried it with the HE6?

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #14,773 of 21,868
IMO,

The adapter box saves the headphones (over 80w) or amp (transformer coupled output) from accidental damage. It also takes some of the raw speed/impact from the 6s sound. Smoother if you will. I like without the box better.

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #14,774 of 21,868
Aug 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #14,775 of 21,868

It's the Emotiva XPA gen2. When I get the box (for the PL's) i was wondering if it would be a waste, if i can just plug in directly to the Emo and lessen the signal path for better sound.

No need for the box on the Emotiva XPA.  What are you using for a pre / volume control?   You will still need the box for the PL's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back