HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #11,041 of 21,868
  The best I have heard the HE-6 is from the HO on my vintage Pioneer sx1250. That includes several high end rigs at meets here in LA (although MrRoger's tube set up was damn close and it had the tubey smoothness). However my pioneer has been driving speakers in the living room lately which is not where I listen to headphones, so they have been getting little to no use.
Then on a whim (and based on Jude's comment that he used it to drive the HE-6) I purchased the HiFi-M8. I have to say that if you are looking for a desktop/portable set up to drive the HE-6 the M8 comes pretty close (90% of the way) to some of the best performing HE-6 rigs I have heard.
For $700 you get a great DAC/Amp combo which sounds great with my Magnum's, LCD-2's and the HE-6.
Kudos to CEntrace, the M8 is a great product.

You ever tap the '1250' or HO only?
popcorn.gif

When I approached my Pioneer SX-650 front-to-rear, the sound presented was pretty much the same, no difference. Same with my Pioneer SX-D7000. Then I approached 'Baby Sinister'
very_evil_smiley.gif
(Sansui G-22000) and her presentation is better from the taps soundwise than HO.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #11,042 of 21,868
  Is the difference as far as the warmth/vocals/treble really that large? The millenia definitely sounds like my cup of tea sound wise as I'm a sucker for warm ish mids. Think that the pairing of it and the tube dac would be too silky or just right for someone who has a preference for tube gear?

Seemed like to me that the Emo presented a veil over the treble, compared to the MG3.  Not sure about the combo with tubes.  Not enough experience with tubes to make a comparison useful.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #11,044 of 21,868
The best I have heard the HE-6 is from the HO on my vintage Pioneer sx1250. That includes several high end rigs at meets here in LA (although MrRoger's tube set up was damn close and it had the tubey smoothness). However my pioneer has been driving speakers in the living room lately which is not where I listen to headphones, so they have been getting little to no use.
Then on a whim (and based on Jude's comment that he used it to drive the HE-6) I purchased the HiFi-M8. I have to say that if you are looking for a desktop/portable set up to drive the HE-6 the M8 comes pretty close (90% of the way) to some of the best performing HE-6 rigs I have heard.
For $700 you get a great DAC/Amp combo which sounds great with my Magnum's, LCD-2's and the HE-6.

Wow, something that sound great with bith LCD-2 AND HE-6? Didn't know that could ever exist...

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #11,045 of 21,868

A portable amp that can drive the HE-6? No..

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #11,046 of 21,868
I have tried the taps direct. There is not much difference. I stopped because it's more convenient with the HO.
I also have a mint serviced Sansui AU-717 which is only 80w/ch, which is noticeably better from the taps. However I think that anything over 100w it should not matter. 
By the way if you like warmer sound the Sansui is almost tube like a tube amp.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #11,049 of 21,868
  I have tried the taps direct. There is not much difference. I stopped because it's more convenient with the HO.
I also have a mint serviced Sansui AU-717 which is only 80w/ch, which is noticeably better from the taps. However I think that anything over 100w it should not matter. 

A pleasing quality I find, and can still reach over and knock you upside your big head! No, not you personally, sluker, we're just illustrating my Sansui's delivery. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #11,050 of 21,868

So which tube amp have you tried? Headphone tube amp or speaker tube amp?

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #11,051 of 21,868
Awesome! Heard the HE6s at a local meet and enjoyed them the most out of all the headphones there (except the stax009).

Quote:
  Woot! Just made the purchase. Looks like Ill be receiving the HE-6 on Wednesday. Ive been preparing for them:

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #11,054 of 21,868
I'll have a chance to revisit those cans someday. But I know how to live in the moment - their absence shall not prevent my enjoyment
wink.gif
with cans I have present. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back