HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #10,876 of 21,868
Thanks to all who responded to my queries, I'll look into it but have some further research to do about the required power specs and what I need to do to protect my cans.  If I had a lot of time I guess I'd start studying tube amp technology/topology in detail but between my hectic job, university courses and my wife who occasionally wants to see me without me wearing headphones and listening to classical music there's simply not enough time left to purchase a kit and a soldering iron. Anyway, thanks!

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #10,877 of 21,868
I do not see a peach at the end just a big pit. Although it may work , it has no needed function that a resister network cannot in this application. And speakers are more forgiving in the regard to hurting them less and headphones much easier . And I still do not get past the addition of inductance as being in anyway beneficial to improvising the sound.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #10,881 of 21,868

Really looking forward to it myself, too.

Make sure you take photos as well 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #10,883 of 21,868
Ok i have used three different amps with the M7 dac and the HE6 headphone and the HD800

First was the krell kav 400 xi
Second the aragon 8008 BB , M8 used as preamp.
Third the audio gd M8
Honestly i cannot say i hear a big change from one to the other. I have played the same 3 songs from beginning to end .
There maybe a slight mid forward in the aragon , but the M8 and the Krell are a dead heat.

And i also changed DAC s to the MSB just to see if all of them can keep with the increase in detail . And they can . Now with the MSB dac the mids are defintly slightly forward. but other than this small change i do not hear anything else. I also did the same with the HD800 and i have now come to the conclusion that .They are very close and the change in the two is this . The mids are a little more forward in the HE6 and the treble is more forward in the HD800 . Also the bass is just better with the HE6. It seems to go deeper and just more realistic.
with the mids being slightly forward the male voices had more detail and the females deeper as well.

I think the changes are much more apparent while being scrutinized in an A B situation. And not so apparent when just using them.

all testing was done using a calibrated mic to adjust sound within about 1 db
16\44 tracks used.
all balanced cables used for all equipment including headphones .
both male and female voices used as well many other instruments .
all music used i am very familiar with .

While i have all this together is there any questions ????

al d

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #10,884 of 21,868
Ok i have used three different amps with the M7 dac and the HE6 headphone and the HD800

First was the krell kav 400 xi
Second the aragon 8008 BB , M8 used as preamp.
Third the audio gd M8
Honestly i cannot say i hear a big change from one to the other. I have played the same 3 songs from beginning to end .
There maybe a slight mid forward in the aragon , but the M8 and the Krell are a dead heat.

And i also changed DAC s to the MSB just to see if all of them can keep with the increase in detail . And they can . Now with the MSB dac the mids are defintly slightly forward. but other than this small change i do not hear anything else. I also did the same with the HD800 and i have now come to the conclusion that .They are very close and the change in the two is this . The mids are a little more forward in the HE6 and the treble is more forward in the HD800 . Also the bass is just better with the HE6. It seems to go deeper and just more realistic.
with the mids being slightly forward the male voices had more detail and the females deeper as well.

I think the changes are much more apparent while being scrutinized in an A B situation. And not so apparent when just using them.

all testing was done using a calibrated mic to adjust sound within about 1 db
16\44 tracks used.
all balanced cables used for all equipment including headphones .
both male and female voices used as well many other instruments .
all music used i am very familiar with .

While i have all this together is there any questions ????

al d

Very nice to be able to compare 2 world class headphones on some very nice amps!  If its possible, try level matching to higher precision.  I have discarded my Rat Shack SPL meter because it only has integer dB precision, in favor of an iPhone app with 0.1 dB precision.  Being able to set SPL closer (± 0.2 dB) was critical in my A/B testing of amplifiers.  ± 1 dB can really influence how things sound when doing critical listening.

Thanks for your impressions!

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #10,885 of 21,868
I am sure it's much closer to .2 db . I have the amp for my phone as well . But I also used a calibrated mic and software in my laptop. The mic and laptop I use to bal listening rooms . So I am sure it's accurate . And I used a test tone disk as well. I just figured if I said it was .2 db someone would yell at me and say no way man . Lol. I have to say the he6. Is my new fav for now. But the hd800 does have a better soundstage . But it seems the he6 is just more euphoric with the music. I never thought I would say the hd800 is cold and clinical, in fact I hate it when people say it. But it is true compared to the HE6 ? But I think this under really close scrutiny and going back and forth. Once you settle in with either headphone you are in heaven.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #10,886 of 21,868
I am sure it's much closer to .2 db . I have the amp for my phone as well . But I also used a calibrated mic and software in my laptop. The mic and laptop I use to bal listening rooms . So I am sure it's accurate . And I used a test tone disk as well. I just figured if I said it was .2 db someone would yell at me and say no way man . Lol. I have to say the he6. Is my new fav for now. But the hd800 does have a better soundstage . But it seems the he6 is just more euphoric with the music. I never thought I would say the hd800 is cold and clinical, in fact I hate it when people say it. But it is true compared to the HE6 ? But I think this under really close scrutiny and going back and forth. Once you settle in with either headphone you are in heaven.

+1 I think I said something very similar about a month ago with HE-6 vs. HD-800 and of course all the HD-800 guys in their thread either dismissed it, or ignored me lmao. The only things it has over HE-6 is increased focus in the presence region, comfort, and soundstage which is a smaller difference now thanks to audeze pads. HE-6 has the greater extension, bass, mids richness, and treble linearity. A killer musical headphone, or a good technical headphone? Pick your poison 
tongue.gif
 That's why I call my HD-800 an expensive tool lol.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #10,887 of 21,868
When you praise all will worship you. But when you down somethink your OUT of the click

I went back and forth for hours with the same songs. I know what I heard. It was kinda sad in a way
Having come to the confusion I did. It was like retiring an old favorite baseball glove. How could I do it. Lmao

Oh well. I respect people like you and the rest of the moders who put many hours In to modding.

I am just to busy to do that but I understand your passion. The second worst part of today was the fact that my two favorite DACS
Have been blows away by the new guy. Like night and day really sad man.

Thanks for Reply.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #10,888 of 21,868
When you praise all will worship you. But when you down somethink your OUT of the click

I went back and forth for hours with the same songs. I know what I heard. It was kinda sad in a way
Having come to the confusion I did. It was like retiring an old favorite baseball glove. How could I do it. Lmao

Oh well. I respect people like you and the rest of the moders who put many hours In to modding.

I am just to busy to do that but I understand your passion. The second worst part of today was the fact that my two favorite DACS
Have been blows away by the new guy. Like night and day really sad man.

Thanks for Reply.

Thanks for the kind words AL :) What DAC are you finding to be extremely enjoyable over the others?

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #10,889 of 21,868
The MSB platinum IV plus . Diamond PSU and platinum UMT . The others are ps audio pwdmkii, audio gd M7 . We all read reviews and you hear all there reticulas catch fraises , but for me it's true. A quick sum is . It seperats the notes of the music so seperatly it's like the music slows down for you to hear it all. What you know is two or three people harmonizing is now exactly how many and you can hear all three seperatly not on top of each other. And even the quite passage is revealed like its loud.

I'm sure a good reviewer could say it much better , but I'm just me LOL .

AL d

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #10,890 of 21,868
The MSB platinum IV plus . Diamond PSU and platinum UMT . The others are ps audio pwdmkii, audio gd M7 . We all read reviews and you hear all there reticulas catch fraises , but for me it's true. A quick sum is . It seperats the notes of the music so seperatly it's like the music slows down for you to hear it all. What you know is two or three people harmonizing is now exactly how many and you can hear all three seperatly not on top of each other. And even the quite passage is revealed like its loud.

I'm sure a good reviewer could say it much better , but I'm just me LOL .

AL d

I understand what you were conveying AL :) Is the MSB unit a NOS or upsampling DAC? Is there charts floating around to see the  pre/post ringing (or lack thereof) on the impulse response by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back