HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #7,156 of 21,879
Given the size of the diaphram, and the amount of heatsink It seems reasonable to think that you
need more than 5 watts rms to damage the headphones, probably a lot more than 5 watts.
However if you have a much lower power amplifier, and its clipping very hard into the headphones
then the real power being delivered could be way more than 5 watts, and do even more damage.
So you need an amplifier that won't clip, but also does not have the voltage swing necessary
to do damage. On these headphones it seems to be a fine line.

Agreed, it is much easier to damage an (ear)speaker with too little power than with too much power.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #7,157 of 21,879
Its first one yes.
You could call it synergy or not if you dont know what are you expect. i know what Im looking for and wasnt impressed. There was maybe little more extended lows and somewhat more fullfilled mids but highs were cut and not shining, I would even say harsh comparing to my SS headamp. Of course first sentence is matter of taste not quality and I prefer just clean and natural mids. Dynamics also werent that better if any.
I just have found much bigger difference in SQ with good transport if we are speaking of system based on PC. It makes much more difference even with the same DAC connected straight to PC or good converter in this case.
Preproman Im waiting for your impressions regarding HE6 vs HE5LE:)

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #7,159 of 21,879
In Short.

No compressions 

I think it's better to compare the 5LEs with the 500s.  The HE-6 out does them both.  IMO

no comparisons :p

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #7,160 of 21,879
Quote:

Love those Odyssey amps.  The Odyssey amps + some Maggies are a great match.II

I have held on to a Odyssey Stratos Plus after leaving the world of speakers. I have been thinking a set of HE-6 would pair well with it, as it is somewhat on the warm smooth side. I am hoping that Sphinxvc will pair the two together and share his thoughts.

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #7,162 of 21,879
Quote:

In Short.

No compressions 

I think it's better to compare the 5LEs with the 500s.  The HE-6 out does them both.  IMO

x2. No comparison between a well-driven pair of HE6 vs HE500. I was scratching my head listening to the HE500 (2 different pairs, old/new) after reading all these comments of how they're close. Some even went as far as to say the HE500 are better. I've learned not to trust those people anymore.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #7,164 of 21,879
In Short.

No compressions 

x2. No comparison between a well-driven pair of HE6 vs HE500. I was scratching my head listening to the HE500 (2 different pairs, old/new) after reading all these comments of how they're close. Some even went as far as to say the HE500 are better. I've learned not to trust those people anymore.

If the amp used for comparison is better-suited for the HE500, they may not be untrustworthy but they could be unaware.
:deadhorse:

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #7,165 of 21,879
Quote:
If the amp used for comparison is better-suited for the HE500, they may not be untrustworthy but they could be unaware.
deadhorse.gif

Yes, true.

Though, if I'm really honest, I could tell the HE6 was clearly better even on value amps like the M^3.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #7,166 of 21,879
Quote:
Thats not what I wanted to hear:frowning2: But I believe...

Absolutely no comparison at all.  A properly driven HE6 is in a completely different tier than the HE500.  Even a HE6 with mediocre amping (b22, Super 7) is better.  Haven't heard the HE5LE, but I've read the HE5LE and HE500 are a better comparison.

I did not care much for the LCD2.2 or LCD3 and wrote off orthos, but the HE6 made me a believer.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #7,168 of 21,879
Adequate would be a $239 Trends TA-10.2SE.  Coupled with a HE6, that combo is, without reservation, the best $1000 someone can spend who is just getting into headphones, and automatically puts them into the high-end :)

A used HE6 can be found for around $750ish, the Trends is $239, and premade 4-pin XLR adapters usually go for $50ish last I checked.  That combo even sounds better than entry-level Stax Lambda rigs, as well as more expensive stat rigs I've heard.  I'm pretty sure some people would be shocked if a Trends TA-10.2SE amp and adapter started making the rounds.

amcananey's post is consistent with my experience with the pairing, as well as a friend who owns the combo:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566564/he-6-powered-by-a-need-help/45#post_8331302

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #7,169 of 21,879
I'm pretty sure some people would be shocked if a Trends TA-10.2SE amp and adapter started making the rounds.

I'm sure you're right, and I feel the same way about my RA150. Big bucks are not required for great sound when certain speaker amps are paired with the HE6.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #7,170 of 21,879
Quote:
Adequate would be a $239 Trends TA-10.2SE.  Coupled with a HE6, that combo is, without reservation, the best $1000 someone can spend who is just getting into headphones, and automatically puts them into the high-end :)

A used HE6 can be found for around $750ish, the Trends is $239, and premade 4-pin XLR adapters usually go for $50ish last I checked.  That combo even sounds better than entry-level Stax Lambda rigs, as well as more expensive stat rigs I've heard.  I'm pretty sure some people would be shocked if a Trends TA-10.2SE amp and adapter started making the rounds.

amcananey's post is consistent with my experience with the pairing, as well as a friend who owns the combo:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566564/he-6-powered-by-a-need-help/45#post_8331302

That's all good, But I'm sure the Trends amp is not the only amp that falls in the adequate category?  I'm sure the miniX will have something to say about that as well.  Along with many others.  Don't you agree.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back