HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 21, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #16,861 of 21,883
Gearing up for the HE6s. Although I havent been able to demo the HE1000s, Ive read enough to know that it would like be a luxury purchase, rather than a practical/useful one. I have demoed the HE6s a few times and thoroughly enjoyed them. I guess whats held me back this entire time is the potential regret I may have if the HE1000s ended up being superior (relative to musical preference.) 

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #16,862 of 21,883
Been using my he-6 with a v281 and a marantz pm6004 and have found the results to be almost identical and not quite as good as I expected... I then pulled out my old (ish) Pioneer a-109 stereo amplifier and I am thoroughly shocked by the improvement. Stunning bass and excellent clarity. I wonder what this amp has that the marantz doesn't and why it's so much better?

Is that from the speaker taps or the headphone out on your PM6004?

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #16,865 of 21,883
Been using my he-6 with a v281 and a marantz pm6004 and have found the results to be almost identical and not quite as good as I expected... I then pulled out my old (ish) Pioneer a-109 stereo amplifier and I am thoroughly shocked by the improvement. Stunning bass and excellent clarity. I wonder what this amp has that the marantz doesn't and why it's so much better?

Would a stock HE-6 sound good/effortless/exciting on a modest NAD3020 amp (out of the speaker taps of course)? It only has about 20W into 8 Ohms.

It is getting more and more clear in this forum that sound quality with HE-6 is primarily about amplifier QUALITY, not Watts, Ampere or Volts. In other words: It's basically the same story as with HD800 or other highly transparent and demanding headphones. HE-6 needs significantly more power to reach a certain SPL than almost all other headphones though, and this limits the choices among headphone amps a bit. In real world scenario this means a minimum of about 1.5 - 2 Watts in 50 Ohms (many have reported that the First Watt F1(J) which is only 10W in 8 Ohm sound powerfull with HE-6). Again - any headphone amp spec'd to 2 Watts in 50 Ohms might not sound terrific with HE-6. It will take a terrific amp to make HE-6 sound terrific.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #16,866 of 21,883
I did the "Blu-tack mod" last night. I don't like it at all.

With this mod HE-6 reminds me a bit of the AKG K-701 sound: light and tight. Bass is significantly rolled off and the overall tonal balance is tilted considerably making the overall sound quite light. To my ears it is not only affecting the sub bass, but even the lower mids are reduced making male voices thinner than normal.

I am happy I did the mod because then I won't dream about it, but now I have to dis- and reassemble the headphone and remove all the paste from the driver ring ...

The "last" mod I might try is to hardwire it - if I ever do it.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #16,868 of 21,883
  The HEK are growing on me, opening up as the burn in continues (it's only been 24 hours thus far).

They are indeed effortless, some tracks that were a bit hollow with the Abyss suit this sound signature very well. Some of my 'older' favourites (Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac etc.) are suited better with the HEK.

The Abyss is unbeatable for electronica however, something I listen to a lot.

Might have to keep both.

Shame about this odd driver issue. Anyone else tested their pair for the same thing?

I think you post this in the wrong thread..  lol  
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #16,870 of 21,883
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #16,872 of 21,883

Tempted to try them actually! Would need to know which mods were 'the best' before listening critically.

- blutack
- hard wire =)
- remove exterior grills/foam
- HFM velour pads
- keep the inner foam quarters so you don't get reflections

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #16,873 of 21,883

Tempted to try them actually! Would need to know which mods were 'the best' before listening critically.

#1 "Fuzzor" mod (felt on inner grill)
#2  Audeze Micro Suede pads
#3  Remove fibres & foam from exterior side of driver (and even outer grill too)

Hard wiring is also a mod I'd prefer to try - but after the others.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #16,875 of 21,883
  Thanks fellas! 

Not sure if blutack was a joke though negura :D

Not at all, one of the best mods. Read a few pages back. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back