HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #15,361 of 21,879
I am still surprised that one would consider the HE-6's bright. Maybe I got lucky but mine have never sounded even slightly bright, I even bought a silver/gold cable to brighten the sound but used with a Sabre32 dac and neutral SS amp still not an once of brightness.

In fact I would say they are as warm as my LCD2.2 but with neutral highs.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #15,362 of 21,879
  I am still surprised that one would consider the HE-6's bright. Maybe I got lucky but mine have never sounded even slightly bright, I even bought a silver/gold cable to brighten the sound but used with a Sabre32 dac and neutral SS amp still not an once of brightness.

In fact I would say they are as warm as my LCD2.2 but with neutral highs.

Me too, never found treble issues with HE6 and HD800, don't really understand why people saying they need to modify HD800 etc, Only headphone that had the ear piercing trebles was beyerdynamic DT900 600ohm premium  headphone.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #15,363 of 21,879

Me too, never found treble issues with HE6 and HD800, don't really understand why people saying they need to modify HD800 etc, Only headphone that had the ear piercing trebles was beyerdynamic DT900 600ohm premium  headphone.

Some folks are much more treble sensitive than others. I struggled to enjoy the HD800 prior to modding - sometimes the treble became too much and was dominant to my ears. Modding settled that down and allowed me to enjoy this great headphone. YMMV.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #15,364 of 21,879

How would you describe the T70s?  I think those (T70) was the brightest headphones I owned.  

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #15,365 of 21,879

Some folks are much more treble sensitive than others. I struggled to enjoy the HD800 prior to modding - sometimes the treble became too much and was dominant to my ears. Modding settled that down and allowed me to enjoy this great headphone. YMMV.

It's worth noting that treble sensitivities also vary highly upon the individual. A troublesome 3kHz peak for me might be nothing to the next guy, but for him 3.6kHz is bad mojo.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #15,366 of 21,879
In regards to treble sensitivity, I'm curious if there are any contributions from ear canal shape.  I notice difference in diameter and some bend more and less.  So the acoustic resonance in the canal would vary due to variations in canal shapes.  So likely sensitivity of frequencies can vary based on differences in the canal shape.  

I believe Tyll's ear replica was an average of many molds.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #15,367 of 21,879
  It is quite interesting that you consider HE-6 bright as an HD800 owner.  There has been some other comments regarding HE-6 being bright.  I didn't find it to be bright with pleather pads.  I prefer pleather over the velour. But, I would say pleather makes it sound brighter than the velour which to me sounds more detailed.  In the past, I have characterized HD800 as bright, which I think it is, but if the HE-6 is considered bright, the two are different in the way the brightness is characterized.  The HD800 to me is harsh type of bright(what I mean't by sharp) whereas the HE-6 doesn't sound so aggressive. This is why I prefer the treble on the HE-6.  This is the case with certain recordings.  And, I believe there are other differences too in the treble.

Pleather definitely creates a spike in the treble, I also got this with STAX pads.  My stock HD800 definitely have aggressive 6k peak which I cannot live with (I fixed that with dampening also).  Funny other leather pads with more space around the ear don't have this resonance (eg. Audez'e leather) but have very "over-tight" sound as were my thoughts at the time.  Would be interesting to see my thoughts now after living with HD800 so long.  Actually HD800, once treble spike is fixed, are a little warm in the lower mids, which can be seen from the frequency response.  *END RAMBLING SEQUENCE*

Edit: thanks autocorrect...

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #15,368 of 21,879

How would you describe the T70s?  I think those (T70) was the brightest headphones I owned.  

From my memory DT900 was the brightest headphone of all time :) to me beyerdynamic T70/T90 are 50% of the flagship headphone in terms of clarity, sometimes I find bit muddy.  You don't really get to impressed by Txx series, but just me.

Unfortunately I blew up both T70/T90 headphones while playing with the voice coils so I can't test again :frowning2:

Going back to treble discussion, I think I am getting old, maybe my inner hair cells are not sensitive as used to, probably that's why I am NOT treble sensitive, good and bad I guess :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #15,369 of 21,879
I think the HE6 has great extended treble without being bright. The brightest headphone I've owned has to be the Sony SA5000. The Sony gave me a headache every time I used them.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #15,370 of 21,879
Help

I am building my home rig. I have my AMR DP777 and modded HE6 lying around doing nothing so I thought, hey, why not replace my DT800 rig at home with the HE6?

The problem is, I don't have a decent amp.

I am looking at a used First Watt F3 built by Nelson Pass. I'm also looking at a Schiit Ragnarok.

Which one should I buy?

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #15,373 of 21,879
I should let the gallery answer that. I've not the experience with NAD on these headphones. I have with electrostatic speakers. I started with a 50w NAD but was shown how much more they sang with a 200w B&K.

But I'd guess an answer that they are going to sound better than (most) any 20w amp of it's peers.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #15,374 of 21,879

HC, do you reckon the humble NAD 3020 would have the muscle to drive the 6s? Out of the speaker taps i mean, all 20W of it :)

I've driven my HE-6 with little 20W class-D amps and they sounded just dandy.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #15,375 of 21,879
Help

I am building my home rig. I have my AMR DP777 and modded HE6 lying around doing nothing so I thought, hey, why not replace my DT800 rig at home with the HE6?

The problem is, I don't have a decent amp.

I am looking at a used First Watt F3 built by Nelson Pass. I'm also looking at a Schiit Ragnarok.

Which one should I buy?

Why didn't you keep the WA5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back