HiFiMan HE-560 Review
Apr 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #106 of 219
Hmm... if I don't want to sell my HE500 for the 560 or HE6, perhaps I could sell my bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old bourbon instead.... any takers?

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #107 of 219
  HeadphoneAddict,
in term of sound quality, does He560 sound better or just sound different compare to He500 ?

Well, I wanted to say they are both on the same level, with just different sound.  But while I still love the HE-500, if I had to pick just one it would be the HE-560, for it's improved speed, detail, sparkle, and soundstage.  Note - both phones here are stock, not modded.  The HE-500 still have a warm and inviting sound with good detail at the same time, as opposed to a dark and veiled HD650 for instance, and with having both here together I would not want to give up either one. 

I thought the original HE-5 were great (with the EF5 amp, or Square Wave XL amp, or ZDT), but the HE-5LE were an upgrade with less recessed mids and a more refined sound, while the HE-500 improved upon that by adding more stable imaging and improved treble.  However, I NEVER considered selling the old ones as I upgraded because I still like the older ones too much.  Same goes with the HE-560, they won't get me to sell my older HiFiMan headphones.

I also posted this and more in my review thread which is linked in my signature.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #108 of 219

Well, I wanted to say they are both on the same level, with just different sound.  But while I still love the HE-500, if I had to pick just one it would be the HE-560, for it's improved speed, detail, sparkle, and soundstage.  Note - both phones here are stock, not modded.  The HE-500 still have a warm and inviting sound with good detail at the same time, as opposed to a dark and veiled HD650 for instance, and with having both here together I would not want to give up either one. 

I thought the original HE-5 were great (with the EF5 amp, or Square Wave XL amp, or ZDT), but the HE-5LE were an upgrade with less recessed mids and a more refined sound, while the HE-500 improved upon that by adding more stable imaging and improved treble.  However, I NEVER considered selling the old ones as I upgraded because I still like the older ones too much.  Same goes with the HE-560, they won't get me to sell my older HiFiMan headphones.

I also posted this and more in my review thread which is linked in my signature.

Ug...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #109 of 219

Ug...
rolleyes.gif

Now, now, don't let his colored opinion of the colored HD 650s color your opinion of his unbiased review of the HE-560s 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #112 of 219
  My review is on hold due to my HE-560 not functioning anymore.  They are in the process of replacing it.

So... did they just give up and stopped playing? 
confused.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #114 of 219

Now, now, don't let his colored opinion of the colored HD 650s color your opinion of his unbiased review of the HE-560s 
wink.gif

Well, if you take the point of view that "everything is relative", even then you'd still find the HD650 to be "darker and more veiled" than the HD600 when listened to side by side.  

I've owned the HD650 twice (between 2007 and 2009) and sold them both times because the HD600 are more open and crisp, airy and spacious, and more balanced with a decent amount of bass and mids to match the highs.  But since 2007 I have not been without my HD600, for a reason.

However, compare the HD600 side by side with the HE-500 or HE-560 and you get the "veiled and dark" description for the HD600 instead.  As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say on the matter".

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #115 of 219

Well, if you take the point of view that "everything is relative", even then you'd still find the HD650 to be "darker and more veiled" than the HD600 when listened to side by side.  

I've owned the HD650 twice (between 2007 and 2009) and sold them both times because the HD600 are more open and crisp, airy and spacious, and more balanced with a decent amount of bass and mids to match the highs.  But since 2007 I have not been without my HD600, for a reason.

However, compare the HD600 side by side with the HE-500 or HE-560 and you get the "veiled and dark" description for the HD600 instead.  As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say on the matter".

I was just making a little joke, but I do appreciate your comments on the HE-560s.  FWIW, I unloaded my HD 650s not long after I got them.  Sure love my HE-500s 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #117 of 219
Apr 10, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #118 of 219
Driver failure?
triportsad.gif

Hope not, doesn't instill any confidence to buy the model as far as longevity then if thats the case.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #119 of 219
  Driver failure?
triportsad.gif

Hope not, doesn't instill any confidence to buy the model as far as longevity then if thats the case.

That's why these are test units, so that whatever failures or defects can be ironed out in the first production run. Especially things like driver failures (cue HE400 music).

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #120 of 219

Yes... So it would be interesting to know what was the problem and if it will require an improvement from Hifiman (==> and in this case if we have to wait more again for the 560 ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back