HiFiMAN HE-500 = Waste of Money (and general discussion)
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #121 of 280
In case some people unfamiliar with the 500's get the impression that they're fatally flawed in some way, it may be worth taking a read (in its entirety) of Tom Martin's review from 2011.
I think he does a good job of pointing out where the 500's deviate from the ideal  - but also that this is a fundamentally well balanced headphone. 
His conclusion:

"HiFiMAN’s HE-500 is a world-class headphone that provides almost all of the benefits high-end headphone listeners focused on accuracy could want. This is particularly true for listeners looking for a headphone that delivers much of what you would hear on an audiophile-grade stereo system. Listeners who want a headphone experience that differs from in-room audio by delivering maximum resolving power, however, may prefer headphones like HiFiMAN’s HE-6."

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hifiman-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-47/

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #122 of 280
  In one sense, nothing needs modification. On the other hand, I found them so uncomfortable without modification that I ended up boxing them back up for several months until I decided to change the pads and add a suspension band. They're still one of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever used, but at least now they're actually being used, and I hope that after doing more mods toward improving the sound quality they will continue to get even more use.

So, in many cases people are fine with the stock product; in many others, not so much. If modding improves satisfaction, even if at the detriment of some qualities, then why not?

I should note that I've had the 500's for a year and on the very first day I added padding to the headband.
wink.gif

With padding added I find them quite comfortable for long periods - more comfortable in fact than my q701's which have annoying clamping force by comparison (though they are much lighter). So if that qualifies as a 'mod' - I'm guilty.
Comfort is a personal thing - people rave about the comfort of Audio Technica AD900's - but I find the ear pads annoying and too hot (don't care for their sound either).

By all means mod your headphone's if that increases your enjoyment. I just think its wrong to characterise the 500's as seriously flawed in their stock form.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #123 of 280
  I just think its wrong to characterise the 500's as seriously flawed in their stock form.

Exactly; I think the issue is that many felt they were overhyped and/or underdeveloped (as in not reaching their full potential). But that doesn't constitute calling them a waste. Catchy title though, I'll give OP that :wink:

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #124 of 280

Exactly; I think the issue is that many felt they were overhyped and/or underdeveloped (as in not reaching their full potential). But that doesn't constitute calling them a waste. Catchy title though, I'll give OP that :wink:

Perhaps. I'm listening as I type this and they're sounding pretty damn gorgeous with the Violectric 281 - hype justified I'd say.
Some of the 'flaws' or shortcomings that people perceive may well be ameliorated by synergistic equipment partnering. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #126 of 280

Some of the 'flaws' or shortcomings that people perceive may well be ameliorated by synergistic equipment partnering. 

Ameliorated by synergism. There's another catchy thread title.

I never liked the HE500, and I had two pairs. I've no doubt they improve drastically with mods, but I don't believe one should have to mod an expensive headphone with one's own fumbling fingers in order to get the sound one desires. When HiFiman gets rid of that "chamber-like" sound, as someone earlier in this thread put it, then I'll reconsider them.  

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #127 of 280

I never liked the HE500, and I had two pairs. I've no doubt they improve drastically with mods, but I don't believe one should have to mod an expensive headphone with one's own fumbling fingers in order to get the sound one desires. When HiFiman gets rid of that "chamber-like" sound, as someone earlier in this thread put it, then I'll reconsider them.  

Well, I could have said don't use them with crap equipment and sources - but that seemed a little mean.
As for the rest of your comment - I give up.
rolleyes.gif
 - refer to post #121 of this thread.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #128 of 280
He just doesn't like the sound signature. Thats fine. But that does not mean the headphone is a waste of money.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #129 of 280
  I don't believe one should have to mod an expensive headphone with one's own fumbling fingers in order to get the sound one desires.

You don't, there are plenty of fish in the sea, but chances are you'll end up paying more for subjectively better sounding headphones than you would if you modded these, assuming you're looking for the level of detail and clarity that these have rather than just a more appealing sound signature.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #130 of 280

Well, I could have said don't use them with crap equipment and sources - but that seemed a little mean.
As for the rest of your comment - I give up.
rolleyes.gif
 - refer to post #121 of this thread.

Yes, it would seem a little mean given that you have no idea what my equipment is or what other systems I might have tried them on.

I always found them hollow sounding. I described it at that time as making everything sound like it was recorded in a cave. Others have agreed, but it was pointed out that the jergpad mod fixed that problem. That's possible, but on principle I would be expecting HiFiman to be fixing such problems, not jerg. When I spend $700 on a headphone (in Oz), I expect that mods would not be necessary to achieve maximum (or even satisfactory) performance. Of course, if I buy a $20 headphone in K Mart anything goes, and I'll stick foam and blutak wherever I can find a spot.

Incidentally, I listen to classical. It's possible the HE500 is more suited to popular styles, in which case my findings may not be relevant.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #133 of 280

Yes, it would seem a little mean given that you have no idea what my equipment is or what other systems I might have tried them on.

I always found them hollow sounding. I described it at that time as making everything sound like it was recorded in a cave. Others have agreed, but it was pointed out that the jergpad mod fixed that problem. That's possible, but on principle I would be expecting HiFiman to be fixing such problems, not jerg. When I spend $700 on a headphone (in Oz), I expect that mods would not be necessary to achieve maximum (or even satisfactory) performance. Of course, if I buy a $20 headphone in K Mart anything goes, and I'll stick foam and blutak wherever I can find a spot.

Incidentally, I listen to classical. It's possible the HE500 is more suited to popular styles, in which case my findings may not be relevant.

My comment on associated equipment was a little tongue in cheek and not aimed specifically at you - no offense intended.

I'm scratching my head about your impressions of the sound because they are very much at odds with what I hear.
I don't have an issue with that per se, everyone hears differently.
While classical music does not constitute a very large portion of my listening, I do listen to a lot of acoustic material and find tone/timbre and balance of these HF's quite realistic (and in line with the reproduction from my Harbeth Monitor 30.1 speakers, though there is some peakiness in the 500's highs which is not present on the Harbeths). In the previously mentioned areas I find the 500's much superior to the AKG701's.

You say: "I expect that mods would not be necessary to achieve maximum (or even satisfactory) performance".
How can it be that these mods are "necessary" when there are 1000's of satisfied users and there have been dozens of glowing professional reviews for these headphones - in stock form - comparing them to some of the finest HF's around?

We can agree to disagree on the HE-500's sound but I think your inference that mods are "necessary" for satisfactory performance is a distortion of the truth.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #134 of 280
I think this thread just made a full circle. Lets have a go again.

1) World class headphone... check
2) Sounds fabulous out of the box... check
3) Sounds great with classical music... check
4) Sound hollow or strange... hmmm, I reckon it depends one which pads you used, I didn't find it noticeable with the velour pads, but did with pleather pads, the focus pads are somewhere in the middle, but the effect is reduced when you do the grill mod. I still find this headphone has one of the finest mids I've heard so far. It's taken me quite an effort to get a speaker that rivals it on this front.
5) You get a substandard headphone cable with it which is all I can really criticise it for out of the box... check
6) Offers astounding value for money... check
7) Offers good modding potential... check

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #135 of 280
Semi off topic but I felt very similarly about the HE-400s. I was so excited as they were my first pair above $200 (started with M50s as well) and although they did make me smile during certain songs, the weight and comfort kept me from reaching for them for long sessions. They sounded wonderful but even with the velour pads, it just wasn't good enough to justify being uncomfortable for the duration of wearing them. I think Tyll said it best when he says that comfort, sound quality and design are all equally as important when it comes to a great set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back