HiFiMAN HE-500 Loaner Program [EU-Version]
Aug 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #46 of 86
Any update on this? Who has them now? Becoming impatient 
dt880smile.png

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #48 of 86

Quote:
They are on their way from the UK to Sweden and it seems they have been on the way for quite some time now.

Best regards,
Jan

Thanks for the update Jan, I'm sure they will reach Sweden soon.

kindest regards, Peter

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 86
World calling Sweden: Any HE-500 impressions?

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #50 of 86

[size=medium]

Does anybody know who has the loaner now?
I am second from the end in the list (#9) and I would like to know when, approximately, I will have the loaner. 
Thank you for your answer.
[/size]

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #51 of 86
I sent it around 10-14 days ago to Sweden from Britain. At the moment it is supposed to be in Sweden, as the maximum shipping time was 10 business days. You should PM edvardd for more information.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #52 of 86
I have recieved the headphones yesterday. I will send the to the next person on the list this weekend.

I will give you some impressions later this week, especially how they perform in relation to LCD2(Rev 1).

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #53 of 86
[size=14.0pt]Sound:[/size] Overall HE-500 is a smooth sounding headphone with an elegant tonal presentation. The bass is impactful and detailed but the deepest sub bass presence is not very present. Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of bass and it has a hint of warmness. The midrange of HE-500 is excellent and that is mainly what makes this headphone sing. Piano’s are done with almost perfection and I love it with classical music. The treble articulation is vey refined and it provides a beautiful sparkle to the music without causing any fatigue. The treble isn’t sharp or crispy, but it shimmers with clarity airy. This headphone does most genres without becoming sloppy and could therefore be called an all-rounder, but it shines most with jazz and classical.

[size=14.0pt]The comfort[/size] of the HE-500 is quite good, better than LCD2 which I’m finding too heavy and clamping some(although after weeks of stretching it’s manageable). HE-500 is also quite heavy but it’s not clamping as much. I don’t know if the headband is stretchable since this was a loaner-pair that I’d rather not stretch. As you may get, my head is relatively big so everybody may not have these problems.

[size=14.0pt]Further comparisons with LCD2[/size]: HE-500’s bass goes deep but not as deep as LCD2. The midrange of HE-500 is more forward on HE-500 as far as I can recall.  The sound is thicker with the LCD2 and the HE-500 is more a bit more airy and open sounding. With some songs I find the LCD2 too dense in the sense that it sounds a bit congested. I have a relatively warm sounding source and amp, and with my current setup HE-500 sounds better that LCD2 on most songs. I still tend to prefer in general, but with my current setup it’s simply too dark. I listen to vocals a lot and in this area LCD2 is stronger than HE-500. LCD2’s lower midrange is thicker which gives more fullness to the voices.  With classical recordings I prefer HE-500 most of the time and I already miss it. Imaging is fairly equal but the soundstage of HE-500 feels slightly wider because of the more open and airy sound.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #55 of 86
Nice review. I agree that it excels in classical and jazz, but it does the other genre good also. I also find that it is really good with the piano. These are the reasons that I have held on to mine. Also it has great highs while still being smooth and not harsh or sibilant.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #57 of 86
That. :)

Quote:
Nice review. I agree that it excels in classical and jazz, but it does the other genre good also. I also find that it is really good with the piano. These are the reasons that I have held on to mine. Also it has great highs while still being smooth and not harsh or sibilant.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #58 of 86

The headphone now is in Italy on my desk, cheeck to cheeck with my hd800.

Thank you Jan for this opportunity... 2-3 days and I will be here with a listening report (mostly classical and jazz music).

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #59 of 86

Quote:
The headphone now is in Italy on my desk, cheeck to cheeck with my hd800.

Thank you Jan for this opportunity... 2-3 days and I will be here with a listening report (mostly classical and jazz music).

Happy listening! We are looking forward for your review.

edited

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #60 of 86
The setup is on my signature + Cardas Neutral Reference xlr interconnects and home assembled power cords with Furutech cable.

The construction

The box is better than the  one used with the HE5-LE, the headband now is more soft and padded while the pads seem to be the same.

This headphone is a little heavy but still confortable on my head and for my neck. The clamping pressure is on the level of Sennheiser HD 600 for example.

This model comes with only unbalanced connector (standard jack) because of the good efficiency of the new planar transducers. My amp is full balanced and with unbalanced headphones doesn't work at his best.

The sound

The listening sessions have continued for several hours and with software that put light on various aspects, which are markers of what we normally perceive as accurate playback (with all the limitations of the case, especially mine).
After getting used to the sound I connected the 800 and the outlines of those impressions were scrawled on a sheet have become more clearly defined.

Classical music

Beethoven, Complete Sonatas and Variations, Channel Classic (SACD)

Recorded on the warm side.
The tones of the cello and piano is beautifully rendered by both the headphones but with a dry sound in the case of 800 and with a slight accent on the middle register for the HE-500, which at times distorts the hardness of the hair crawling on the ropes .
Ability to follow the dynamics in both good but the peaks are handled more naturally by the German and the HE-500 tends to knead lightly.
I am pleased that the sense of "congested" sound that sometimes felt with the HE5-LE is now a distant memory and the headstage is further improved. We are projected forward, compared to the Sennheiser, 2-3 rows and is a respectable result and some might prefer this more intimate perspective..

Pergolesi, Stabat mater, Virgin Classic

Recorded on the bright side.
The voices stand out better and more off the ensemble with Hifiman. The sopranos are at risk for brain drilled with both headphones ... but this is right and the strings occasionally sound a bit synthetic (this is not right and it happens more with the 800).
Involvement with both good.
With this registration also begins to emerge how the headphone works in the low region of the spectrum: the Sennheiser goes deeper (with the cable Alo) but seems to have more bass the Hifiman.

Beethoven, Sinfonia n.9, LSO (SACD)

The overwhelming opening immediately puts things clear. Here is where the German gives his best.
Go from Hifiman to the 800 is almost like going from a good DVD to a Blu Ray.
Have I not talked about the detail retrieval? With both the headphones you can hear the musicians turn the pages from time to time.

Jazz

Brad Mehladau, Songs - the art of the trio Vol. 3, Warner 

The placement of the instruments is more accurate with the HE-500, the drum is further back and the piano is forward with the double bass just behind.
The colors are slightly faded than the 800 but overall I really like the result.
I compared a solo bass: the German has more punch and goes down more while the bass is more rounded and slightly slower with the orthodinamic.

Carla Bley, Lost chords find Paolo Fresu, Watt

This is a small masterpiece of Carla Bley, very good hearing with both the headphones.
More "mid-centric" the He-500 with more intimate stage and a bit more heat that really makes the Fresu's flugelhorn very charming.
With this CD, even in the most dense and dynamic passages are rendered with no hardness or difficulty with both headphones.

Esperanza Spalding, Chamber music society, Concord

Here comes a female voice in the field and Hifiman offers you a slightly better result than the German.
The Spalding's voice is very delicate and not very powerful which is valued more by the orthodinamic.
Speed ​​and details at the same level for the 2 headphones.

Conclusion

A good headphone that probably also offers decent room for improvement with respect to the performance offered with my setup.
The price, which is around 750 euros, almost puts it in direct competition with Sennheiser HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1 and at this point some question naturally arises mainly for comfort and finish.
There is also to say that in my system, the performances of the Sennheiser have made quite a leap forward with the new cable ... but it is not a cheap upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back