HiFiMAN HE-500 Loaner Program [EU-Version]
Jun 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 86
Thank you Jan!

Frank

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 86
Is included a 4 pin balanced cable (from he5-le or he6) for this test?

I'd like to listen this headphone at the full potential from my amp (in SE only half amp is used)

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 86
I don't know. I will be listening to them balanced from my SR71-B and RPX-100 via my TWag cables from Whiplash (provided they make it to me in time, Craig has promissed that they will)..

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #21 of 86
I'll most probably be using the HE-500 with the Lavry DA10, which is very neutral.

I'm really looking forward to the HE-500 loaner pair. :)

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #22 of 86

Quote:
I don't know. I will be listening to them balanced from my SR71-B and RPX-100 via my TWag cables from Whiplash (provided they make it to me in time, Craig has promissed that they will)..

From your signature Whiplash is your pusher. If you have at home a balanced cable for your he-4... why buy another one?

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #23 of 86

The Whiplash cables in my signature are the ones I'm waiting for so atm. I only have the stock cables for all my phones. I'm standardizing on the Protector plug on all my phones and then have xlr and single ended pig tails. Craig have promissed me that they will arrive by mid next week. I have previously owned or loaned other TWag cables for bothe my HE-4 and JH13 but they have been sold or returned.

Quote:
From your signature Whiplash is your pusher. If you have at home a balanced cable for your he-4... why buy another one?

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #24 of 86
Received the loaner this morning and have been doing a bit of initial listening with the stock cable from the RPX-100.

Visually they are almost identical to the HE-4, the silver ring on the cups that I have seen in some photos are not on these. They are markedly heavier than the HE-4 and has a much more dense feeling. In actual fact they remind me of bells and they also have a strong metallic sound with a long reverb if you tap on them with a nail or knuckle while wearing them. The cushions are slightly shallower than on the HE-4 resulting in the driver protection pressing on my ears, this might be a comfort problem after long use. The cable is a thick, unwieldy, plastic/teflon coated rather microphonic one that is more unhandy than the thinner cloth coated one on the HE-4. They are somewhat easier to drive than the HE-4 but not as much as I expected, the HE-4 requires 12-1 on the volume dial whereas the HE-500 get by with just under 11.

First impression of the sound is that they are at least a level beyond the HE-4 in every aspect but then again they also cost twice as much. The treble is not as sharp as the HE-4 (not that the HE-4 treble bothers me in any way) but with at least as much detail. The midrange (very important for me) is more forward/prominent than on the HE-4 and oh so lovely, probably the best midrange I have ever heard in a headphone. The bass is deep, tight and precise with no bloat and only there when it should be. There is plenty of speed and control throughout the entire frequency range. I’m looking forward to try them with my balanced Whiplash cables (in transit).

I’m seriously fearing that I will have to get rid of the HE-4 and buy a HE-500 in the future.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #25 of 86
Hi Everybody,
the list of participants is slowly filling up and I would like to take this opportunity to remind all the participanat that the idea of this thread is for you to post your impressions on the HE-500. So far there has been very little of this in this thread and I certainly expect more.

Thanks,
Jan

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 86
As far as I know only 2 of us have yet had the phones. I have posted impressions here and on the Danish forum and Kasper have posted an extensive review both here on this forum (but I don't know where) and on the Danish forum.

I have today received my TWag V2 Eclipse balanced cables from Whiplash and will do some burn-in an listening with them over the coming days.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #27 of 86
Jun 15, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #28 of 86
Thanks for the Heads-Up.
Please post any links to reviews you do elsewhere in this thread as well. I would hate it if readers had the impression that the lazy Europeans are not commenting on the Headphones they receive in the loaner program.

Jan

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #29 of 86
I have now done a bit of listening to both the HE-4 and HE-500 with my new balanced TWag V2 cables from Whiplash on both the SR71-B and RPX-100. With the HE-4 going balanced takes it a fair bit closer to the single ended HE-500. The midrange becomes more prominent and slightly lusher and the bottom end firms up and the background becomes darker and clener however the HE-500 still bests the HE-4 in all aspects and balancing the HE-500 in turn brings it another step up although the improvement isen't as great as with the HE-4. I still se a HE-500 in my future :)

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #30 of 86
Have shipped them on today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back