HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #8,281 of 20,386
Thanks, yes toying with the amp decision now. Hopefully a combination of change to pleather, burn-in and the amp can make a difference.

Or try..as some already mentioned, the jergmod... Its best of both worlds..

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #8,282 of 20,386

Thanks. No I am not using any EQ, unless of course it is activated by Audyssey calibration. 

I believe Dynamic EQ function is enabled when you use Audyssey MultiEQ. So you have to manually disable that. I think Marantz have the same thing (the EQ thing with their MultiEQ).

I am using the built in headphone jack of the receiver. The volume control works for the headphone too..

By volume control - I mean is there much room for movement in terms of loudness? Does it take one click on the volume knob to go from barely audible to extremely loud?

I do not have the option to borrow an AMP/DAC, but may be I can take it to the local shop where they have Shiit Lyr and Sennheiser amps. I can't carry my sources though because I feel they will be having stereo setup.

If you have a local shop they should have a standalone DAC or CD player etc all set up for you. That Denon looks massive - I would hate to have to unplug and carry to your local store. But I guess it would help your comparisons...

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #8,283 of 20,386
I happened to stumble upon this: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/HiFiMan_HE_6_and_Sophia_Baby_Amplifier_Combo_p/ttvjpkg007.htm

Would that also work with the HE-500?

Also I started digging into speaker amps with headphones, and while SS speaker amps would work fine, it seems the higher ohmage of headphones could damage the transformers of tube speaker amps, so I wonder how that advertised pairing would work.

Anyways, if anyone has any insight on that combo or if the Sophia Baby Amp works with the HE-500, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #8,284 of 20,386
  I happened to stumble upon this: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/HiFiMan_HE_6_and_Sophia_Baby_Amplifier_Combo_p/ttvjpkg007.htm

Would that also work with the HE-500?

Also I started digging into speaker amps with headphones, and while SS speaker amps would work fine, it seems the higher ohmage of headphones could damage the transformers of tube speaker amps, so I wonder how that advertised pairing would work.

Anyways, if anyone has any insight on that combo or if the Sophia Baby Amp works with the HE-500, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

curious as well. i know its sold with HE-6 there but i dont think it would be optimal.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #8,285 of 20,386

I believe Dynamic EQ function is enabled when you use Audyssey MultiEQ. So you have to manually disable that. I think Marantz have the same thing (the EQ thing with their MultiEQ).

Thanks nk77. No Dynamic EQ is certainly off, multi EQ, I need to check.

By volume control - I mean is there much room for movement in terms of loudness? Does it take one click on the volume knob to go from barely audible to extremely loud?

No, no it does not go to crazy volume in one turn. Normally on the speakers I get good volume between -32dB to -25dB (0dB be being the maximum). On the Hifiman, I need to sometime go up -20 to 10dB levels on the volume display before it become high volume. . 

If you have a local shop they should have a standalone DAC or CD player etc all set up for you. That Denon looks massive - I would hate to have to unplug and carry to your local store. But I guess it would help your comparisons...

No way I am going to carry those Denon over there :)

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #8,286 of 20,386

Bass.....The bass is not going to touch the 12" SVS woofer. I was not expecting it either. There is something to the visceral feeling of the bass from woofer compared to the honest imitations from a headphone. Unrealistic expectations, really. Subjectively, the mid bass has the slam that I have not heard in other headphones. So realistically speaking these phones make the bass sound, but they cannot do the bass feel the woofers are capable of. Again no one expects them to, right? LFE channel is going to show any headphone is poor light. I accept it. Still as the listening sessions progressed, I am amazed by the bass. The Focal sans the woofer might still still trump the HE-500 for bass, but HE-500 looks quite capable and has better separation and is more resolving. 

The treble...well these seems sibilant than the speakers on source bordering on sibilant. Often harshly so. Need to see how they fare with a matching amp. The Focal themselves get the tag or being bright, but their brightness is something I have come to accept and enjoy. They make some really nice tweeters. These cans perhaps need a warm amp. 

The harsh treble goes away somewhere between 150-200 hours. Probably closer to 200, it smooths out and sounds great. 

I've noticed the bass gets better too with break in. Not as big of a difference as the highs though, but it does seem to produce a little more bass after break in.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #8,287 of 20,386
  The harsh treble goes away somewhere between 150-200 hours. Probably closer to 200, it smooths out and sounds great. 

I've noticed the bass gets better too with break in. Not as big of a difference as the highs though, but it does seem to produce a little more bass after break in.

Thanks, let me check. I have marked the tracks where I get the sibilance and I will remember the volume levels and see if I can replicate it later on.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #8,288 of 20,386
Quote:
  Bass.....The bass is not going to touch the 12" SVS woofer. I was not expecting it either. There is something to the visceral feeling of the bass from woofer compared to the honest imitations from a headphone. Unrealistic expectations, really. Subjectively, the mid bass has the slam that I have not heard in other headphones. So realistically speaking these phones make the bass sound, but they cannot do the bass feel the woofers are capable of. Again no one expects them to, right? LFE channel is going to show any headphone is poor light. I accept it. Still as the listening sessions progressed, I am amazed by the bass. The Focal sans the woofer might still still trump the HE-500 for bass, but HE-500 looks quite capable and has better separation and is more resolving. 

Ok, some correction is in order. I have to say that the bass is excellent for a headphone. Today watched some movies that literally rocks the room with room shattering bass. The HE-500 does bass admirably. Yes, these cannot push as much air as a woofer does and thus the visceral feeling is missing, but for a quite evening watching some LFE heavy movies, HE-500 is going to convey the impact without waking up the family. I feel the quality and tightness of the bass is excellent too...

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #8,289 of 20,386
That denon receiver's headphone out is most likely pretty bad.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #8,292 of 20,386
^Guess you are in for a treat then 
redface.gif

Why not get a cable terminated in speaker taps and throw it on the recevier?

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #8,294 of 20,386

^Guess you are in for a treat then 
redface.gif

Why not get a cable terminated in speaker taps and throw it on the recevier?

Probably won't be a huge improvement. 

You don't think? I have heard lots of bad stuff about those receiver jacks... Well, we'll find out soon enough.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #8,295 of 20,386

Probably won't be a huge improvement. 

You don't think? I have heard lots of bad stuff about those receiver jacks... Well, we'll find out soon enough.

I tried hooking up to a few of the "mainstream" consumer receivers and found they really didn't sound that great at all. Pioneer and sony were the ones I tried. 

Sorry for being so terse there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back