HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #6,811 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi guys
I was reading this thread for a long time and when I finished I went to my local music shop to listen to one of these cans. I was listening to HE-4, HE-500, T1, T90, ATH-W1000X, and all I can say is that dr. Fang did a great job in making HE-500, they are wayyyy better than any dynamic headphone. I was really surprised how good they are and how much clarity and details have appeared in my music. I decided to buy them. Previously I had Sennheiser HD 555. I was using them every day for aprox. 5-6h so the only thing I was worried about was weight of the HiFiMan's as I read they can make your neck hurt. Yesterday they finally arrived and my jaw is still laying on the ground. HE-500 is the best headphone I have ever heard. In every song there is something new, something that I haven't heard before. My vocabulary is not enough to fully express what I fell during my listening sessions (btw. sorry for my english 
tongue_smile.gif
). Also my worries about weight were completely unfounded. I had very long listening sesion just when I got them, 8 hours of continuous playback and I felt nothing. I am wearing them right now and I am barely noticing their presence.
The stock cable is the only thing that needs to be improved. The microphonics is here but I am not moving while I listen so it doesn't matter for me. 

Now you probably want to know what amplifier I am using. Here is the part that might be dangerous for many head-fi'ers. Nuforce Icon HDP with 45W PSU. Before you gonna say it is ridiculous to buy so expensive pair of headphones and hook it to something like this read this. I AM ENJOYING THEM VERY MUCH IN THIS CONFIG. VERY MUCH. shout off. I know there are better amps like Lyr or some kind of speaker taps, but the truth is that I don't care. If you are happy with a config you have just be happy and enjoy it. if you are not, go and buy something better.

I agree with you on most counts here. When I had the T1 and the HE-500 I found the T1 to sounds basically like the DT990. It kept most of the good parts, but also kept a lot of the flaws the DT990 has. 

I don't think a dynamic headphone really can compare to an orthodynamic headphone. The speed and detail of orthodynamic drivers portrays a certain "realism" that a dynamic driver can never match. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,812 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi guys
I was reading this thread for a long time and when I finished I went to my local music shop to listen to one of these cans. I was listening to HE-4, HE-500, T1, T90, ATH-W1000X, and all I can say is that dr. Fang did a great job in making HE-500, they are wayyyy better than any dynamic headphone. I was really surprised how good they are and how much clarity and details have appeared in my music. I decided to buy them. Previously I had Sennheiser HD 555. I was using them every day for aprox. 5-6h so the only thing I was worried about was weight of the HiFiMan's as I read they can make your neck hurt. Yesterday they finally arrived and my jaw is still laying on the ground. HE-500 is the best headphone I have ever heard. In every song there is something new, something that I haven't heard before. My vocabulary is not enough to fully express what I fell during my listening sessions (btw. sorry for my english 
tongue_smile.gif
). Also my worries about weight were completely unfounded. I had very long listening sesion just when I got them, 8 hours of continuous playback and I felt nothing. I am wearing them right now and I am barely noticing their presence.
The stock cable is the only thing that needs to be improved. The microphonics is here but I am not moving while I listen so it doesn't matter for me. 

Now you probably want to know what amplifier I am using. Here is the part that might be dangerous for many head-fi'ers. Nuforce Icon HDP with 45W PSU. Before you gonna say it is ridiculous to buy so expensive pair of headphones and hook it to something like this read this. I AM ENJOYING THEM VERY MUCH IN THIS CONFIG. VERY MUCH. shout off. I know there are better amps like Lyr or some kind of speaker taps, but the truth is that I don't care. If you are happy with a config you have just be happy and enjoy it. if you are not, go and buy something better.

My cherry on top would be a picture but I can't upload it. 

George  

Nice summary of pretty much the way I felt when I first heard them!  Regarding your English, if only more of our native-English speakers had half of your command of the language.

Bob

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #6,813 of 20,386
Quote:

Nice summary of pretty much the way I felt when I first heard them!  Regarding your English, if only more of our native-English speakers had half of your command of the language.

Bob

Listening to Dire Straits Live Alchemy and all I can say is...

this song describes it the best :p

Can someone tell me how to upload an image? If I click insert image button nothing happens. Sorry for off topic 
Edit: it is working now

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #6,814 of 20,386
Quote:
I don't think a dynamic headphone really can compare to an orthodynamic headphone. The speed and detail of orthodynamic drivers portrays a certain "realism" that a dynamic driver can never match. 

Lol, I would tend to say the same with planars vs 'stats.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #6,815 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi guys
...my jaw is still laying on the ground....

Wow good write-up, 
beerchug.gif
Can't wait to see how much more you like them when you get your jaw off the floor and can get a good seal on the pads...
tongue_smile.gif

Oh, and since no one else said it, Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet...
biggrin.gif

There is a minimum number of posts needed before you can upload (15 or so I think) and on top of that it gets wonky at times and just hangs, keep trying as you get more posts and it will eventually work.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #6,818 of 20,386
Quote:
Wow good write-up, 
beerchug.gif
Can't wait to see how much more you like them when you get your jaw off the floor and can get a good seal on the pads...
tongue_smile.gif

Oh, and since no one else said it, Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet...
biggrin.gif

Thank you, I am very pleased to join such a great community. 
biggrin.gif

And you don't have to be sorry for my wallet. The sound is sooooo good that I will scrimp on concert tickets 
beyersmile.png

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #6,820 of 20,386
Quote:

Here is my new baby. Hope you like it :p

Quote:
Following Georgo’s lead.
smily_headphones1.gif

My current HE500 setup.

That's what this thread needs. More pictures of headphones (not hard drives :p)

Is that a NFB-10? I bet that's a sweet pairing with the HE-500. I think it's got like 8W going.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6,821 of 20,386
That's what this thread needs. More pictures of headphones (not hard drives :p)

Is that a NFB-10? I bet that's a sweet pairing with the HE-500. I think it's got like 8W going.

Yeah, It’s the new NFB 10ES2. (ESS9018 DAC, New USB implementation and more steps to the volume control than the old ES)

Sounds awesome. I notice better separation, slightly more controlled bass and a bit cleaner mids compared to the Burson HA160D (which was still pretty darn good with the HE500)

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #6,822 of 20,386
Quote:
Yeah, It’s the new NFB 10ES2. (ESS9018 DAC, New USB implementation and more steps to the volume control than the old ES)

Sounds awesome. I notice better separation, slightly more controlled bass and a bit cleaner mids compared to the Burson HA160D (which was still pretty darn good with the HE500)

Kingwa needs a new naming scheme, way too many nfb 10. 10WM, 10SE (Wolfson) then 10ES 10ES2 (Sabre), hopefully there won't be a Nfb 10PC (pcm1704) or Nfb10PCM (pcm5102). And don't forget the Nfb 10.32 and Ref 10.32 
tongue_smile.gif

Coincidentally I'm having his top sabre dac too (Nfb 7.32). One day if I get bored I might try the He-6 out of the XLR output of the dac =p.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #6,823 of 20,386
Yup, the naming of his stuff is particularly inscrutable, even by the poor standards of high end audio items.

Took me some time on the site to figure out what was what. Reading about Audio GD items online without some background knowledge is very confusing!

But I guess I’m glad I put in the effort to figure things out.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #6,824 of 20,386
Yup, the naming of his stuff is particularly inscrutable, even by the poor standards of high end audio items.

Took me some time on the site to figure out what was what. Reading about Audio GD items online without some background knowledge is very confusing!

But I guess I’m glad I put in the effort to figure things out.

Well..i guess its always better then what i will be getting for my new amp..the manufacturer of my amp uses the initials of the buyers as the name for the custommade amp they make for them..so i guess my amp will be called 'the PaC' :wink:

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #6,825 of 20,386
Quote:
I believe uall..but believe it or not..my rig sounds best when its TWO upgraded powercables are directly connected to the wall....i guess i have good wiring in my house. I even aligned the polarity (the red dots on my connectors) correctly with the wall sockets (euro/shuko here in the netherlands).. It sounds wonderful..and i spend a little less then 3000 usd on my rig in total.(hm602 ,337,he500, cabling)
wink.gif
. But In 1 hours i will be left without amp.. It has found a new home... The new owner is now buying a case to transport it in
redface.gif
thats what i call loving ur stuff!!!
biggrin.gif
i would do the same though!!! Arrrrgg and now waiting until end of nevember for my new amp...
redface.gif

lucky for you , the wiring & electric in your house is excellent . No need to buy  power conditioners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back