HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6,796 of 20,386
You dont wanna know what quality the wiring in your house is, then. 10+ meter low quality copper followed by a premium power cable. See why I am sceptic?

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #6,797 of 20,386
Quote:
You dont wanna know what quality the wiring in your house is, then. 10+ meter low quality copper followed by a premium power cable. See why I am sceptic?

You don't know me! I've got 99.999999% pure OCC copper, direct diamond cut running through every aspect from the power plant directly to my house and in every single wall. Every single foot is cryogenically treated, and hand tested by Noel Lee from monster audio. Then every outlet is cryogenically treated Furutech GSX with rhodium plating (http://www.vhaudio.com/acreceptacles.html) and every outlet cover is furutech carbon fiber that drastically reduces vibrations which obviously reduces jitter, improves overall bass, and the treble is just.... its just what it should be. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #6,798 of 20,386
Quote:

You don't know me! I've got 99.999999% pure OCC copper, direct diamond cut running through every aspect from the power plant directly to my house and in every single wall. Every single foot is cryogenically treated, and hand tested by Noel Lee from monster audio. Then every outlet is cryogenically treated Furutech GSX with rhodium plating (http://www.vhaudio.com/acreceptacles.html) and every outlet cover is furutech carbon fiber that drastically reduces vibrations which obviously reduces jitter, improves overall bass, and the treble is just.... its just what it should be. 

LMAO, here's what i am picturing with what you said...

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #6,799 of 20,386
Yep, power cables are "debatable" at best - don't forget the cheapo wire (usually from scrap yard) used in ribbon and internal wiring of many components.

Main strip got some uses - filter DC and RF noise. But to do that sure as hell doesn't cost 500+ bucks, nor require rhodium plated and cryo treated like Furutech (Not to be confused with Furman - good manufacturer with reasonable pricing) wants us to believe =p.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #6,800 of 20,386
Quote:
Yep, power cables are "debatable" at best - don't forget the cheapo wire (usually from scrap yard) used in ribbon and internal wiring of many components.

Main strip got some uses - filter DC and RF noise. But to do that sure as hell doesn't cost 500+ bucks, nor require rhodium plated and cryo treated like Furutech (Not to be confused with Furman - good manufacturer with reasonable pricing) wants us to believe =p.

I remember running across a thread here on Furutech fuses, someone had purchased one that was cryo'ed and asked if it was "directional". I was like...

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #6,801 of 20,386
Quote:
I remember running across a thread here on Furutech fuses, someone had purchased one that was cryo'ed and asked if it was "directional".

I hate to sound like a total jerk, but this is the kind of person these companies are targeting. The consumer that doesn't have the technical understanding and will pay a little extra because they "think" it will be better. It's the same in just about every market. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6,802 of 20,386
Quote:

I hate to sound like a total jerk, but this is the kind of person these companies are targeting. The consumer that doesn't have the technical understanding and will pay a little extra because they "think" it will be better. It's the same in just about every market. 

Yeah, unfortunately. Anyways, back on topic folks :)

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6,803 of 20,386

Well...as long my MIND and ears tell me my pair of 500euro worth of powercables sounds good..then i am happy..even if it is placebo :D
About wiring..i dont know howits in the states..but i am moving to a new apprtment next year..still to be finished..and i saw the building plans...the whole building will have high quality fiber optical cabling for comunication purposes.. Didnt see the quality of the electricity cabling..but i guess it wont be low end also... Because of the hard instable climate i guess here builders use different quality of copper then in more stabile warmer climates..but only guessing ofcourse :wink:

Omg..i already miss my haunted 337.. This onkyo amp by far doesnt sound as good.... :xf_eek:

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #6,804 of 20,386
Hi guys
I was reading this thread for a long time and when I finished I went to my local music shop to listen to one of these cans. I was listening to HE-4, HE-500, T1, T90, ATH-W1000X, and all I can say is that dr. Fang did a great job in making HE-500, they are wayyyy better than any dynamic headphone. I was really surprised how good they are and how much clarity and details have appeared in my music. I decided to buy them. Previously I had Sennheiser HD 555. I was using them every day for aprox. 5-6h so the only thing I was worried about was weight of the HiFiMan's as I read they can make your neck hurt. Yesterday they finally arrived and my jaw is still laying on the ground. HE-500 is the best headphone I have ever heard. In every song there is something new, something that I haven't heard before. My vocabulary is not enough to fully express what I fell during my listening sessions (btw. sorry for my english 
tongue_smile.gif
). Also my worries about weight were completely unfounded. I had very long listening sesion just when I got them, 8 hours of continuous playback and I felt nothing. I am wearing them right now and I am barely noticing their presence.
The stock cable is the only thing that needs to be improved. The microphonics is here but I am not moving while I listen so it doesn't matter for me. 

Now you probably want to know what amplifier I am using. Here is the part that might be dangerous for many head-fi'ers. Nuforce Icon HDP with 45W PSU. Before you gonna say it is ridiculous to buy so expensive pair of headphones and hook it to something like this read this. I AM ENJOYING THEM VERY MUCH IN THIS CONFIG. VERY MUCH. shout off. I know there are better amps like Lyr or some kind of speaker taps, but the truth is that I don't care. If you are happy with a config you have just be happy and enjoy it. if you are not, go and buy something better.

My cherry on top would be a picture but I can't upload it. 

George  

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6,805 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi guys
I was reading this thread for a long time and when I finished I went to my local music shop to listen to one of these cans. I was listening to HE-4, HE-500, T1, T90, ATH-W1000X, and all I can say is that dr. Fang did a great job in making HE-500, they are wayyyy better than any dynamic headphone. I was really surprised how good they are and how much clarity and details have appeared in my music. I decided to buy them. Previously I had Sennheiser HD 555. I was using them every day for aprox. 5-6h so the only thing I was worried about was weight of the HiFiMan's as I read they can make your neck hurt. Yesterday they finally arrived and my jaw is still laying on the ground. HE-500 is the best headphone I have ever heard. In every song there is something new, something that I haven't heard before. My vocabulary is not enough to fully express what I fell during my listening sessions (btw. sorry for my english 
tongue_smile.gif
). Also my worries about weight were completely unfounded. I had very long listening sesion just when I got them, 8 hours of continuous playback and I felt nothing. I am wearing them right now and I am barely noticing their presence.
The stock cable is the only thing that needs to be improved. The microphonics is here but I am not moving while I listen so it doesn't matter for me. 

Now you probably want to know what amplifier I am using. Here is the part that might be dangerous for many head-fi'ers. Nuforce Icon HDP with 45W PSU. Before you gonna say it is ridiculous to buy so expensive pair of headphones and hook it to something like this read this. I AM ENJOYING THEM VERY MUCH IN THIS CONFIG. VERY MUCH. shout off. I know there are better amps like Lyr or some kind of speaker taps, but the truth is that I don't care. If you are happy with a config you have just be happy and enjoy it. if you are not, go and buy something better.

My cherry on top would be a picture but I can't upload it. 

George  

T1 i think is a little better than HE-500, though HE-500 is smoother.

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #6,807 of 20,386
T1 i think is a little better than HE-500, though HE-500 is smoother.

HE-500 is smoother, yes. I actually found the T1 to be too bright and wasn’t as impressed with the imaging and separation as I am with the HE-500. I know you’re a big fan of it but it’s not to everyone’s taste as it has a little too much brightness for some.

Either one is good but the HE-500 hits a nice sweet spot. not too bright, not too dark.and excellent technical capabilities

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #6,808 of 20,386
maybe the HE-6 would be the perfect balance between both? 

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #6,809 of 20,386
Quote:
HE-500 is smoother, yes. I actually found the T1 to be too bright and wasn’t as impressed with the imaging and separation as I am with the HE-500. I know you’re a big fan of it but it’s not to everyone’s taste as it has a little too much brightness for some.

Either one is good but the HE-500 hits a nice sweet spot. not too bright, not too dark.and excellent technical capabilities

Exacly, you took the words right out of my mouth :p

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #6,810 of 20,386
maybe the HE-6 would be the perfect balance between both? 

Maybe. But the amping requirements for the HE6 are a little extreme. Maybe if someone really wanted a slightly brighter sound and had the power to drive them, it would fit the bill.

Personally, I wouldn’t want something brighter than the HE500. I’ve heard so many headphones that I generally know what my tolerances and limits are for deviations for a flat response. HE-500 is just below the limit. Anything more and I get fatigued. On the flip side, a headphone that sounds significantly darker than the HE-500 (LCD2 is the easy example) can lack excitement for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back