HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,721 of 20,386
Quote:
well thanks for the advice guys, i think im gonna save up for a good NAS with enough tbs for music and movies for years to come

Another one to look at would be unRaid - a Network Attached Storage server operating system that boots from a USB Flash device and specifically designed for digital media storage.

Quote:
it sounds like it huh? but they mean well...eventhough they know its just my 4th language...

about the pads...if i am not mistaken i think jerg tried them out also..but i can be wrong...and he preferred the jergmodded pads.

nooooo...cant..i..arrrgggg..have...to....control.... nooooo...plssss....helllppppp..no emoticon..NOOOOO..

.wow..i really did it..a complete post without a emoticon.... lolz...the mega HDD dude did it..... hehehe

I see that edit, you had to go back and delete one didn't you?? 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
  Yes, I am definitely poking fun at you, nothing more.
beerchug.gif
  I am by no means perfect when it comes to spelling and this is my main language...
blink.gif
  There, I used emoticons for you.
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6,722 of 20,386
Quote:
Another one to look at would be unRaid - a Network Attached Storage server operating system that boots from a USB Flash device and specifically designed for digital media storage.

I see that edit, you had to go back and delete one didn't you?? 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
  Yes, I am definitely poking fun at you, nothing more.
beerchug.gif
  I am by no means perfect when it comes to spelling and this is my main language...
blink.gif
  There, I used emoticons for you.
tongue_smile.gif

u know me so well already..hehehehe

and thanks for the emoticons..ur to good... lolz

my main languages are dutch and portuguese..then german..and THEN english..so u can consider urselves as my substitute english teachers.. hehehehe

and GUYS..ABOUT THOSE SUGGESTIONS CONCERNING EXTRA (MEDIA) DRIVES FOR DUBSTEPGIRL.eventhough i know all ur advices are meant well....i know from experience that whats simple for us..could be complete chinese for others...

DUBSTEPGIRL..my honest advice (i have built many systems and networks in my time for many people by the way) find a nice friend who is a (real deal) computergeek who knows his stuff....buy the stuff together WITH him...and let HIM built it for u..with u close by..so u can learn a thing or two for later...

in my opinion still easiest way: buying a hdd docking station (20euro), connect it to ur pc by usb..stick hdd in...push on-off button....AND DONE...no configurations...and its cheaper...

if i was closerby i would certainly help u out... for free....for a cup of hot coffee and a bisquit ofcourse..u only had to buy the hardware  and the rest... ...

but am sure u know somebody in ur neighborhood ..or maybe one of ur tube buddies? ask them... if ur not a computer geek its always easy to **** things up.. especially with the configuration...

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6,723 of 20,386
Quote:

Prepro has put these pads on everything. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to put them on some Iems! 

Interesting Jerg tried it, hopefully he'll chime in a bit. So far I've got stock velours, stock pleathers, mad dog pads, and Denon pads. I'd be interested to see how the jerg compares to those, as I've never tried them. 

I think that's a good decision.  Much more centralized, safe, and better access overall, IMO.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #6,724 of 20,386
Quote:
well thanks for the advice guys, i think im gonna save up for a good NAS with enough tbs for music and movies for years to come

It's a good decision.  IMO, NAS is much more centralized, safe, and easier access overall.

Also, DSG.  My TEAC 501 arrived this morning.  Now I know what you meant by the mytek removing the "veil" from your HE500.  I bought the 501 based on a few reviews/threads stating that the 501 is very similar to the mytek, just with a touch less resolution.  It's great so far.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #6,725 of 20,386

Good idea, but don't load up on too many hard drives right now. Just expand as you need it. For the same price that you get a 2TB right now, in a couple years you might be able to get a 10TB.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6,726 of 20,386
Hmmm, I played around with watercooling earlier in the year (I have a Raystorm rig) and I don't think its really worth it for all the hassles etc. I also recently swapped out a couple of harddisk and in the process the waterpump molex connector came loose. I didn't notice this as the cable was hidden behind a shroud to make the case look neat and tidy. Took me some time to figure out why the PC didn't want to play nice anymore. I am fortunate that my PC didn't die. Not to mention that today's ATX cases are all large and clunky. So I've converted my PC back into a mini-ITX chassis and now it plays nice and quiet. 

Still enjoying the Emotiva mini-x amp and it has great clarity with low volumes too which is a bonus. I do miss the warmth and smoothness of the PS2 amp though, though it doesn't have as much slam and dynamics. Think it is time to build a cable for HE-500 with XLR adapters so I can alternate between the two amps. Then I can listen to the Emotiva while drinking a beer and the Sunrise 2 while sipping a whisky! I love excellent budget gear, allows you to have something of everything. The stakes are much higher with expensive gear!
Doesn't the PS2 have a line out? If you used it as a preamp wouldn't you get the best of both amps?

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #6,727 of 20,386
sigh, I just couldn't do it :/  

I put up my He-500 on sale for a few days, and I just took it out of the box to listen to them one more time. 

I quickly took my ad down lol I'm going to keep these as my critical listening headphones..

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #6,728 of 20,386
What does the he500 do makes you keep changing your mind?

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #6,729 of 20,386
Keep HE500 and buy one more. lol

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,730 of 20,386
Just got an e-mail that my HE-500 order was picked up by FedEx in Hong Kong. Another week.............
eek.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #6,731 of 20,386
I'm not sure if its the tubes I just got or what, but everything just sounds more "alive"? I'm not exactly sure how to describe it :/

It just seems that when I do try to critically listen, I'm reminded how awesome the HE-500s are. I've decided to keep the 702s as well and use them as my main computer headphones when I'm surfing the web or studying. (It's also great that I can power them off my portable devices) 

The only other headphones I have my eyes are the Mad dogs. But it might have to wait, since I don't have the need for a closed back headphones yet. Maybe once I start leaving my house more I can justify getting them lol 

As of now for this hobby, I'll probably just be spending my money on getting the uber chip for my BiFrost and a bunch of tubes lol

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #6,734 of 20,386
Quote:
Quote:
I see ur not from western/northern europe.
biggrin.gif
. We poor euro basterds pay 25-35 % extra on taxes on top of the price plus postage for products from out of europe if its above 40euros (in the netherlands) .its a disgrace.and customs downright robs us blind...u being in usa are lucky basterds..if i understand it correctly taxes only occur above 2000usd mark..right??wish i was in the states
biggrin.gif

The risk david mentions is very much real..unluckaly...sometimes packaging from asia is not the best because of budget reasons and on top of that..the longer the journey the greater the risk of getting a damaged product...but i state..its not always the case!!! But is a bigger bet then lets saying buying here locally in europe..
And ur right risk is for seller..but did u ever try to communicate with an asian manufacturer of lets say..let me mention darkvoice, they use google translate to reply i understand..and then u have to sent ur product bsck to them..in worst case scenario it will take 3months to have a replacement on ur doorstep..dont get my wrong..u all know i love my darkvoice 337..but i am very careful buying at ebay shops in asia..no matter how small the risk can be..but as u understand..its all imho...i am waiting for a new amp coming from canada...so apart from communication..there is a risk of damaged product during transport...well in this case not..as i understand the insides of the box of transport is actually being used by some as vibration feet under their stuff..so its heavy duty stuff..but normally..buying from far always has a risk...

Oh well... When it comes to taxes, I don't think there is anywhere as bad as Brazil.
I'm thinking of buying a HE-500 but the amount of taxes I might have to pay makes me sad.

Anything that comes from outside the country is taxed by 60%. If you use Courier transportation(Fedex/DHL) add another 18% ON TOP of the 60% earlier, so it come to a total of 88%. Since the customs clearance is so complicated, the company might charge you another fee (10-30 dollars). And on top of all that, when we use a International Credit Card for the purchase (only option) there another tax over the financial operation of 6,38%. 

So buying a 699 USD HE-500, declaring its normal value can cost us almost 1400 USD. Trying to avoid these cost, not using Fedex/DHL, declaring a lower product value, might work, but if you get caught its even worse, and it takes more than a month for the package to be delivered and its risky.

From local shops the only easy to find hifi headphones are the Sennheisers. A HD-650 is retailed at 2600 BRL = 1200 USD

May I remind you that most Europeans/SA do not pay for medical insurance, work significantly fewer hours than Americans, generally receive higher education at little to no cost, are provided with generous vacations, fully paid childbirth leave, generous unemployment benefits, extended sick leave, early retirement age, and a whole host of other social benefits that Americans do not receive.  In fact, America lags significantly behind all western countries in providing it's citizens a social net to fall back upon when the economy tanks.  We have endured one of the worst economic downturns in modern history with millions unemployed, homeless and fending for themselves.  Now, you were complaining about your taxes on exotic high-end headphones...  

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #6,735 of 20,386
How's your new dac been? 

Does it pair well with your other headphones as well? I remember you saying that it opened up the HE-500!

Hey just my opinion. Don't get the mad dog if you are planning to keep the he500. I don't think it will compliment well unless you need a close headphone. What you need is a hd800 and the likes.

I'm confuse bro, I though you are getting out of the Headphone scene for a little bit for speakers, but I keep seeing you wanting more :p

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back