HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 4, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #5,956 of 20,386
Quote:
What do you call this ???

Not having to work tmr cuz it's 7/4, I had quite a "few" beers 
size]
.  Let's just say double digits bottle count.  When party was over, I took a shower, sent my boys to bed then put on my HPs to listen to some music.  My daily routine will be rotating through my music collection with my Q701 and the HE500 depending on what type of music I listen to.  Damn, the Q701 was just kicking my ears to a point I had to stop.  Then I put the HE500 on and listened to the same tracks.  Everything was fine. I said to myself  "What is this?".  I listen to both HPs daily and enjoy the sound signatures of both almost equally for their strengths.  This is my first time listen to these HPs with my senses impaired and this was what I experienced.  Just wanna share with you all.

Contrary to popular belief, your hearing and brain actually becomes more receptive. 

Looks like you had a fun time. Happy 4th of July :)

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #5,957 of 20,386
Quote:
T1 is better than HE-500 imo, but HE-500 is fuller and warmer.

if you're primarily an EDM listener and enjoy great midbass and a slightly warmer sound, definitely get the HE-500, i feel that the HE-500 are better at electronic than T1, even better than LCD-2 as well (though this is close). 

trance, techno, dubstep, drum and bass, electro, house, ambient, chill out, hardcore, etc.
the HE-500 is really good for all of it.

Then in what field would the T1 excel in? Maybe i wasn't listening to its best genre when i was auditing and i was listening to the HE-500 in the fields it exceled in which may have obscured my perception towards the T1.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #5,958 of 20,386
umm T1 is great for acoustic, rock, pop, and just about everything, but its very good for modern music, acoustic, and rock imo. 

it excels in just about everything, however  nothing really really stands out other than its fast/detailed. thats the magic of the T1, just that its a great all rounder headphone. it does all electronic very good, but some might find it a little brighter or leaner,  the bass is ok imo, but some may find it light. the HE-500 is overall better for electronic imo. its treble presentation is very nice for this type of music as well as its midbass. the he-500 is also a good all rounder headphone too.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #5,959 of 20,386
The thing is i listened to the T1 for about an hour and a half as a audition with a A1 beyerdynamic amp but off of my ipod. Do you think the lack of a dedicated DAC and perhaps listening time made a huge impact in what i was hearing. (of course i was impressed but i didn't feel like i was impressed enough based on the price) I asked for a dac but the store clerk told me he didn't have any which sounded like bs to me

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #5,960 of 20,386
Quote:

if you're primarily an EDM listener and enjoy great midbass and a slightly warmer sound, definitely get the HE-500, i feel that the HE-500 are better at electronic than T1, even better than LCD-2 as well (though this is close). 

trance, techno, dubstep, drum and bass, electro, house, ambient, chill out, hardcore, etc.

I have the HE-500, but I was considering trying something new just out of curiosity. Seems I already made the right choice going with the HE-500. Five months later, I'm still blown away every time I listen to it.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #5,962 of 20,386
Quote:
I love the he500 with contemporary jazz it is great
Also I find 1st thing in the morning my phones sound the best to me strange anyone else have that experience

because your ears is its best during long relax:wink:

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #5,963 of 20,386
Quote:
I dunno, HA160 sounded pretty good with my HE500 when I did a brief audition of the amp. A very warm, musical, dynamic sound imparted on the cans. Synergizes very well with either velour pads or jergpads. Probably not so much with stock pleathers (those need a brighter amp).

Yep, you've already told me. What about the volume? Did it drive them loud enough?
Quote:

I've only heard it with HE-300 before I got HE-500, but might be the most boring and lifeless amp I've ever heard.

Actually I already own one and  your description simply doesn't match with what I hear, atleast with HE-400. It's a very warm and musical amp.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #5,964 of 20,386
Quote:
umm T1 is great for acoustic, rock, pop, and just about everything, but its very good for modern music, acoustic, and rock imo. 

it excels in just about everything, however  nothing really really stands out other than its fast/detailed. thats the magic of the T1, just that its a great all rounder headphone. it does all electronic very good, but some might find it a little brighter or leaner,  the bass is ok imo, but some may find it light. the HE-500 is overall better for electronic imo. its treble presentation is very nice for this type of music as well as its midbass. the he-500 is also a good all rounder headphone too.

So i notice you also have the HD800, which do you prefer or is it based on music type?

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #5,965 of 20,386
i still can't decide which i prefer more. it definitely depends on the music too though. alot of music sounds good on hd 800 but also alot sounds pretty bad. everything sounds good on t1. the hd 800 is slightly better than t1 but t1 is more musical.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5,966 of 20,386
Quote:

So for electronic music, you think the HE-500 is better than T1, LCD-2, but what about HD800?

Also between those, which one do you think has the best sub bass rumble and impact for rap/hip-hop?

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #5,967 of 20,386
The main reason why some might like HE-500 better for electronic music over LCD-2 /3 is because of the air and treble response. HE-500 does better for electro, house, or even electro-house. For example, think of Benny Benassi's sound. HE-500 gives his synth that extra sharpness and air around it to make it really come alive. LCD-2/3 are also quite good, but not quite there in treble. LCD-3 has the best sub bass response. At times I am finding it the same or even more than D2000. I was going through some dubstep, DNB and trap, for that the LCD-3's sub bass response was blowing everything away. The HE-500 can't touch that though, despite being quite good by itself alone.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #5,968 of 20,386
Quote:
The main reason why some might like HE-500 better for electronic music over LCD-2 /3 is because of the air and treble response. HE-500 does better for electro, house, or even electro-house. For example, think of Benny Benassi's sound. HE-500 gives his synth that extra sharpness and air around it to make it really come alive. LCD-2/3 are also quite good, but not quite there in treble. LCD-3 has the best sub bass response. At times I am finding it the same or even more than D2000. I was going through some dubstep, DNB and trap, for that the LCD-3's sub bass response was blowing everything away. The HE-500 can't touch that though, despite being quite good by itself alone.

So HE-500 has better treble and airiness, while the LCD-2/3 has better sub bass? Could you EQ the HE-500 to get similar sub bass or will the Audezes always be better in the low frequencies?

How would the soundstage, imaging, layering, and instrument separation compare?

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #5,969 of 20,386
Quote:

So HE-500 has better treble and airiness, while the LCD-2/3 has better sub bass? Could you EQ the HE-500 to get similar sub bass or will the Audezes always be better in the low frequencies?

How would the soundstage, imaging, layering, and instrument separation compare?

Well, the LCD-2 and LCD-3 also has good treble with good imaging and details. However, HE-500 has more energy that certain genres need. If you listen to trance, then HE-500's energy in the treble as well as air is quite exciting. HE-500 has good bass as well. Although LCD-2's bass is more controlled and tight. It starts and stops faster. 

No EQ is needed with either. Honestly, either works fine. Each have their own presentation. You just have to get used to it. For example, me going from HE-500 to LCD-2 first time, it felt boring. When I got used to LCD-2 and went back to HE-500, it felt a bit noisy and unnecessary in the treble. Just give a few hours in between and you'll get used to either.

You can get good bass out of HE-500 with most amps. LCD-2 and LCD-3, not so much. Although when you get the LCD-3's going, you'll be able to tell why they have one of the best bass out there.

Soundstage: Audeze is more intimate and 3D. It's more spherical. HE-500 is more wider than LCD-2 and 3. LCD-2 and 3 have more depth and height than HE-500. Instrument separation is better on HE-500. HE-500 does better imaging near the sides, although LCD-2 has better centerstage and imaging. For me personally, HE-500 is more speaker like, and the easiest headphone to which I got used to. Although with my personal combination, I find it lacking in depth. Essentially I find the depth:width:height ratio a bit off on HE-500. It's a bit more holistic on LCD-2/3 for my taste. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #5,970 of 20,386
I suggest getting both 
biggrin.gif

Either will do fine with electronic music. I had to make the same decision some time ago. Either will be fine in the long run. HE-500 used is half the price of LCD-2 new. So you can say HE-500 has better value if you are concerned about that. I personally don't focus too much into value but rather about the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back