HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5,236 of 20,386
Quote:
The HE-500 can (arguably) be driven well with low current like an OTL tube amp, it's more efficient than it's siblings the HE-6, HE-5LE and HE-4... but more power really brings all planars to life.

dont work with OTL Woo Audio WA2, but alot of people are very happy with the darkvoice/lafigaro line of OTL amps..

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #5,237 of 20,386
dont work with OTL Woo Audio WA2, but alot of people are very happy with the darkvoice/lafigaro line of OTL amps..

Not all lafigaro or darkvoice amps do well...Only the darkvoice 337 (latest batches!) and the lafigaro 339 match perfectly well with the he500...but u have to be prepared to invest in some tuberolling as well to find the right tubes for u...and in my opinion investing in two high quality powercables doesnt hurt either! :D

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #5,239 of 20,386
Quote:
On that subject, can anyone suggest a mini-wrench or pliers that can grip the Hifiman connector?
(I guess I can expect some photos of some huge industrial plumbing tool now...)

I believe they are SMA so according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector you need a 5/16" wrench. Me, I use my fingers.
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #5,242 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice with regard to choosing between the Schiit Lyr and the Audio-GD SA-31 to pair with my HE-500.
I am currently using an M-stage, and while I am enjoying my 500s out of that I'm pretty keen on getting myself some of this 'bigger sound' / better bass etc that apparently is to be gained by moving up to a 2W+ amp. I have done HEAPS of reading of the relevant threads but I just wondered whether someone might have a preference given what I'm specifically hoping to get out of it.
While I was shopping for my headphones, I got an opportunity to listen to the Audeze LCD-2s... and I loved these headphones. But I started off not wanting to spend more than $400, and although it ended up kreeping up to $700 for the HE-500 .. I had to draw the line somewhere unfortunately. I really enjoy impressive bass. I also love gorgeous vocals, and I've come accross several posts where people have spoken emotively about how much they enjoy female vocals through a tube or hybrid amp ... but now I'm getting into this audiophile headphone thing, I don't really want to be sacrificing any detail / instrument separation in order to achieve some kind of 'dreamy' smoothness of sound. The genres I listen to are: a lot of electronic music, pretty or down-tempo alternative electro, dub, EDM (fairly picky about what dance music I'll listen to though), the more 'musical' end of alternative, occasionally rock and I'm trying to get into the habit of listening to a bit of classical every so often as well. I was keen on going for the Lyr for a while - I really like the look of it and the 5 year warranty sounds good. But I don't know... is it really going to offer any kind of edge over the SA-31? Maybe I should just stick with solid state. I definitely don't have any intention of making a hobby of tube rolling. I would probably do a heap of reading, make say a $120 max purchase on replacement tubes, and then that would be me done (...until they died of course). I have heard about what an excellent choice that Emotiva speaker amp is, but it's a heavy little unit and shipping it to Australia is going to be prohibitive. Maybe the answer is that, coming from the Matrix, I'm likely to be very impressed and content with either one of them. But anyway any advice would be much appreciated. I haven't yet invested in a DAC, but will buy something fairly entry-level such as the ODAC as my next purchase after changing my amp.   

You might find that the "bigger" sound is not that big compared to the M-stage. What is your current source ?

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #5,243 of 20,386
Quote:
thanks for the suggestions, will definitely consider those amps

what about JDSlabs Objective2 amp? it really look attractive at its price point. Wonder it will do the cans any justice?

It's a good pairing IMO. Although doesn't take the HE-500 to it's full potential. Very transparent sounding combination though. Very clean throughout. Quick fast bass although lacking impact, quantity and fullness. Depending on the genre you listen to, you might be able to get away with the O2 and HE-500, at least for a little while.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #5,244 of 20,386
Hifiman ef5. $400 on amazon. Have had mine almost a year and have NO desire to upgrade.

Hi guys, im an amateur audiophile and i recently received a new pair of hifiman he 500 and the sound that came through my asus essence stx sound card is pretty disappointing. It sounds rather weak and 'anemic' if that makes sense which is way different from what i auditioned.

I read through some posts in the forum that he500 really needs a synergistic amp to get the most out of the cans and i have no qualms about getting a new desktop amp and getting rid of my essence stx.

My budget would be around 300-400 hundred dollars and please share some ideas/ suggestions so that im not making a mistake with my well earned money

I know this might ve posted numerous times already but time is not a luxury that i could have. Thanks in advance!

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #5,246 of 20,386
^See, that would be interesting.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #5,249 of 20,386
to i019791

Thanks for reading my post. My source is just an ipod classic (120GB). I have thought about buying a more hi-fi mp3 player, but I like the itunes interface (rating your tunes and playlists, etc) and I just can't justify the cost of a higher end portable source. I am trying to buy most of my new music in WAV or CD ripped in lossless format, but roughly about half of my music collection is in typical itunes 256kbps.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #5,250 of 20,386
Quote:
to i019791

Thanks for reading my post. My source is just an ipod classic (120GB). I have thought about buying a more hi-fi mp3 player, but I like the itunes interface (rating your tunes and playlists, etc) and I just can't justify the cost of a higher end portable source. I am trying to buy most of my new music in WAV or CD ripped in lossless format, but roughly about half of my music collection is in typical itunes 256kbps.

I am not sure how good is the analog output of the ipod. If it rivals my laptop's headphone output: the heaphone out of my laptop + Violectric V200 amp (900 $) lost easily to an Audio gd NFB-12 dac+amp (200 $).
I would go for a good source first in your place, as your amp is good.
You can keep the ipod in the chain if it has a digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back