HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3,886 of 20,386
they're very similar. HE 500 has more bloom and seems to have more presence than LCD-2, but LCD-2 goes deeper by a bit, its really hard to say. if u wanted sub-bass, theres the D7000, completely unmatched by any other headphone in this price range when it comes to sub-bass. only bettered by the TH-900

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3,887 of 20,386
There is just something about Denon phones that I'm not a fan of. I auditioned the LCD-2 fairly quickly and first thing I noticed was that very textured lower end bass and intimate sound stage compared to the HE500 which has amazing mid bass/slams and open, airy sound stage.

I guess the real question is that when I buy the LCD2, will I have to make the choice of keeping one or the other since their so similar to each other or will they compliment each other nicely?

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3,888 of 20,386
Quote:
There is just something about Denon phones that I'm not a fan of. I auditioned the LCD-2 fairly quickly and first thing I noticed was that very textured lower end bass and intimate sound stage compared to the HE500 which has amazing mid bass/slams and open, airy sound stage.

I guess the real question is that when I buy the LCD2, will I have to make the choice of keeping one or the other since their so similar to each other or will they compliment each other nicely?

I got to audition both the LCD and the HE-500's for a few days and found that the LCD may have had a little more bass but had noticeably less top end to my ears. Not that they were lacking, but certainly had less treble. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3,889 of 20,386
Quote:
I got to audition both the LCD and the HE-500's for a few days and found that the LCD may have had a little more bass but had noticeably less top end to my ears. Not that they were lacking, but certainly had less treble. 

I agree with the treble part but when I was A/B it felt like the LCD had quite a bit more bass. I think I need to A/B them again at the shop.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #3,892 of 20,386
Quote:
they're very similar. HE 500 has more bloom and seems to have more presence than LCD-2, but LCD-2 goes deeper by a bit, its really hard to say. if u wanted sub-bass, theres the D7000, completely unmatched by any other headphone in this price range when it comes to sub-bass. only bettered by the TH-900

what she said.

Also people having problems with treble on LCD-2. Try a speaker amp with silver cables - still not HE-500 but much closer to it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #3,893 of 20,386
The characteristics of the HE-500 or the LCD2 seem dependent on the associated equipment.  Some have reported either liking one or the other better based on the associated amp.  Both great cans it seems.  Economically, the HE-500 wins...IMHO.  When wearing the HE-500's I could forget I am wearing a phone (and listening to my full-system), if it were not for the fact that any move of my head from vertical invokes the force of gravity on the puppies.  I have little to no experience with the LCD2.  But, my HE-500's are a completely different animal on my Soloist amp versus my previous amp (Shiit Lyr).  The Lyr did not have the control or texture of the Soloist.  My Lyr had good bass, but I could not dial it in.  Depending on the tubes, it was either too lean or too woolly.  Maybe the LCD2 handles that variance better.    

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,894 of 20,386
The bass on the HE500s responds very well to amping.  It can sound boomy, bloomy and loose or tight, precise, and punchy.  Look elsewhere if you need sub-bass.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3,895 of 20,386
Quote:
The bass on the HE500s responds very well to amping.  It can sound boomy, bloomy and loose or tight, precise, and punchy.  Look elsewhere if you need sub-bass.

+1

better amps will control the HE-500 bass better. same for the LCD-2, though not as much

HE-500 is not a headphone for sub-bass, rather clean tight natural sounding bass, good midbass, and most of the sound is focused on the mids and the super smooth treble.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,896 of 20,386
Quote:

+1

better amps will control the HE-500 bass better. same for the LCD-2, though not as much

HE-500 is not a headphone for sub-bass, rather clean tight natural sounding bass, good midbass, and most of the sound is focused on the mids and the super smooth treble.

Agreed. Planars in general have fantastic Bass texture and detail, but they don't pack the same sonic punch as a bass oriented Dynamic driver. My HE500s EQ'd up very well, but they never really had the SLAM I was getting from some of my other Headphones. Getting a more powerful Amp really helped in that regard, so I am in complete agreement with you there. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #3,897 of 20,386
Don't get me wrong. I'm looking for a phone with tons of sub bass, I just wonder if the LCD2 has more of it then the HE500. Now Pasquale got my thinking about the soloist. So much to buy and not enough cash to spend.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,898 of 20,386
for just tons of subbass around this price the denon D7000 or Th-600/900 are unmatched

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,899 of 20,386
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I'm looking for a phone with tons of sub bass, I just wonder if the LCD2 has more of it then the HE500. Now Pasquale got my thinking about the soloist. So much to buy and not enough cash to spend.

IMO both are somewhat lacking. They are no doubtedly better than most headphones overall and in sub bass performance. I even enjoy them more than D2000 for music, which has the most sub bass of them all.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,900 of 20,386
Has anyone been getting bored of their HE-500 or LCD-2? For the past two weeks, I seem to have been bored out of my mind with both LCD-2 and HE-500. LCD-2's bass just kicks, but no bloom. HE-500 has some bloom but not enough kick. LCD-2 is all in my head without being wide. HE-500 is all wide with no depth or height. Also, where the hell is the center stage. Love the treble on HE-500 still. LCD-2 is a lost cause here.

Of course, in relative terms and comparison to other headphones, I still love them. When I go to other lower end headphones, they really make the Hifiman and Audeze sound good. 

Although on a non comparison scale and just enjoying them individually for what they are, they both have been getting quite boring to me recently. I've had the Hifimans for about 9 months and the LCD-2 for 3 months. I even enjoy my cheap Precision Acoustic tower speakers that I got for $150 more than both. At $75 a piece, they deliver just as good mid range and manage to have decent soundstage at the sides and middle. At $700 and $1000, I really wish they had something more to offer. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from headphones in general  

Maybe a LCD-3, HE-6 or HD800 could do the trick or instead just sell them and save up for a Stax. I dunno, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back