HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 12, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,646 of 20,386
Quote:
The 702 has a larger soundstage but it is a little bass shy which makes the highs stick out even more. The he500 has plenty of bass to even out the spectrum and allow a more even listening experience. The extra mid bass adds a nice touch of warmth that the 701 are lacking in.

That mid bass bump became somewhat "too much" of a good thing overtime (take that with a grain of salt, I loved my 500s...).
I'm quite sure I will come back to the 500s in the future, or any successor with wooden cups and true leather (angled) pads 
very_evil_smiley.gif

For those (about to rock!) who want a more even presentation, less "fun", more "hifi" sound that simply rocks, get the 5LEs :wink:

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #3,647 of 20,386
My he500 is coming towards 80 hour mark.  I have noticed one thing, recently I am having to turn the volume up on the O2 amp a little more to get the same volume than before.  Is this because the headphones are getting burnt-in?  I was listening to around 10 'o' clock position on the o2 with normal gain, now it's sitting around 12 'o' clock. I have the checked the source, I keep the volume at 50% on the mbp.

Maybe, I am just getting deaf and older.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #3,648 of 20,386
My he500 is coming towards 80 hour mark.  I have noticed one thing, recently I am having to turn the volume up on the O2 amp a little more to get the same volume than before.  Is this because the headphones are getting burnt-in?  I was listening to around 10 'o' clock position on the o2 with normal gain, now it's sitting around 12 'o' clock. I have the checked the source, I keep the volume at 50% on the mbp.

The O2 isn't a very good amp for the HE-500 - they open up tremendously with an amp with a little more power.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #3,650 of 20,386
The O2 isn't a very good amp for the HE-500 - they open up tremendously with an amp with a little more power.

I agree, hence the reason I ordered a LaFigaro 339 
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #3,651 of 20,386
Let me guess, the Schiit Magni is much superior to the O2?

For a planar - yeah. For the HD650, I'm not as certain. The HD650 does pretty well with the O2. For the HD650, the power isn't as vital and the transparency of the O2 works well with the HD650. Both are better than the FiiO E9 for the Senns.

IMHO.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,654 of 20,386
Quote:

Let me guess, the Schiit Magni is much superior to the O2?

Quote:
For a planar - yeah. For the HD650, I'm not as certain. The HD650 does pretty well with the O2. For the HD650, the power isn't as vital and the transparency of the O2 works well with the HD650. Both are better than the FiiO E9 for the Senns.

IMHO.

He is incapable of posting without mentioning how bad the o2 is and how great the Magni is.  The funny part is they both use similar wall warts.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  Shouldn't he be able to use the 16VAC 500mA wall wart from the Magni with his o2?  They are both AC to AC.  He is clipping with his setup and a 12VAC 200mA wall wart on the o2.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,655 of 20,386
Quote:

Ya, the O2 is indeed a strange amp. Some days I have to turn up the O2 nearly all the way to get decent volume. Other times, past 11o clock can be too loud. I've had this amp for over 7 months now and still I can't get a grip on it. Sometimes too much bass, sometimes not barely producing any bass.

Also, it's a solid state, yet I find it to improve after being left on for really long time.

Also, try to max all your digital sources to 100% for consistency.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,657 of 20,386
He is incapable of posting without mentioning how bad the o2 is and how great the Magni is.  The funny part is they both use similar wall warts.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  Shouldn't he be able to use the 16VAC 500mA wall wart from the Magni with his o2?  They are both AC to AC.  He is clipping with his setup and a 12VAC 200mA wall wart on the o2.

I just don't think the O2 is all it's cracked up to be. When I move on from the Magni, I'll probably be raving about the new amp. The O2 and the ZO2 are the only amps with which I'm utterly disgusted - of the amps I've tried.

I was starting to think that amp choices brought only subtle differences.

If you really think I'm a Schiit shill, you can stalk my profile and see that I've been on and off head-fi since 2010.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,659 of 20,386
To these (my) ears, the O2 sounds just fine with the HE-500s.  Interestingly, like Zoom above, I find the sound improves the longer I listen.   Regardless, a good amp fit for my 500s.

What other amps have you tried them on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back