HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3,496 of 20,386
Your lyr wants some more ... oh boy, here we go
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3,497 of 20,386
Quote:
Your lyr wants some more ... oh boy, here we go
biggrin.gif

The problem is, I can't buy things online or even from ebay. Do you know a place in Jakarta that happens to sell tubes?

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,498 of 20,386
You can ask for some assistance from Au-Id members to get it, i can only think one seller in jakarta that sells some tubes is Mr.Budi Kantong-Kresek

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3,499 of 20,386
Quote:
You can ask for some assistance from Au-Id members to get it, i can only think one seller in jakarta that sells some tubes is Mr.Budi Kantong-Kresek

Yeah, I'll probably ask them for assistance but now, the stock tubes is still in its break-in period so I guess I will leave it as it is before jumping to tube rolling.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,500 of 20,386
Quote:

Correct, you got one free internetz point!

This is my first tube amp and it does pair very well with the HE-500. I find that using the velour pads with the Lyr makes it balanced sounding. The pleathers with the Lyr make it sound a bit too warm.

Use your set up and try Phantom second ED song - Transparent by Kokia.  That good control of bass and Kokia's vocal. You will be smitten. It is very nice indeed. :) I guess you like Ein and Zwei a lot.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,502 of 20,386
Quote:
so I just got my 1/4inch to 3.5 mm jack to plug into my computer

God these headphones sound BAD without amps, I can barely hear vocals, its like they are singing from the bottom of a well

It's very quiet if I plug mine directly into the computer even on max vol, still fairly transparent-soudning though. Maybe your PC has an even worse soundcard than mine (mine is some Realtek HD soundcard).

Regardless, that (lack of dynamics/coherence when the cans are severely underpowered) is to be expected.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,503 of 20,386
Quote:
It's very quiet if I plug mine directly into the computer even on max vol, still fairly transparent-soudning though. Maybe your PC has an even worse soundcard than mine (mine is some Realtek HD soundcard).

Regardless, that (lack of dynamics/coherence when the cans are severely underpowered) is to be expected.

well I don't have a soundcard. using whatever my motherboard has

yea I bet its underpowered will have to wait 1-2 weeks till my bifrost+lyr combo arrives

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #3,504 of 20,386
Left them hanging around my neck for a moment and when i took them off i pulled too hard and cracked the socket where the screws go in =(

Thankfully Hifiman is willing to send me replacement parts =D

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #3,505 of 20,386
My mobo features the worst sound quality I have ever heard. WAY worse than my mac and also WAY worse than my iPhone4. And the mobo is quite new, not even 1 year old. It is not bad, it cost more than 100$.

My iPhone is a bigger upgrade than my 500$ tube amp, relative to how bad the audio in my mobo is.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #3,506 of 20,386
Quote:
Left them hanging around my neck for a moment and when i took them off i pulled too hard and cracked the socket where the screws go in =(

Thankfully Hifiman is willing to send me replacement parts =D

They really should just make metal pieces for those parts where the screws pass.

Could you take some photos of the your headband where the extender part was secured to?

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #3,507 of 20,386
Quote:
They really should just make metal pieces for those parts where the screws pass.

Could you take some photos of the your headband where the extender part was secured to?

Sure can.

I was surprised it was plastic and not metal...or at least some kind of metal insert. 

In any case this is something I can easily fix from my end when i receive the parts.

In the meantime i'm stuck using my Beyer DT990 600ohm....so dissapointing =(

For me to screw it back in correctly i had to make a small incision just enough to fit a small phillips screw driver.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #3,509 of 20,386
Quote:
Sure can.

I was surprised it was plastic and not metal...or at least some kind of metal insert. 

In any case this is something I can easily fix from my end when i receive the parts.

For me to screw it back in correctly i had to make a small incision just enough to fit a small phillips screw driver.

That happened to my HE-500 after quite a bit of use, and I was able to get Fang to fix it for me.  Have you emailed them?

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,510 of 20,386
Quote:
Sure can.

I really feel that this part of Hifiman cans' design is really the only structural weak-point, kinda like the swivel screws of the discontinued Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back