HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3,436 of 20,386
Quote:

i would but i have no DIY skills

thats why i was looking to see if anyone knew of a place/someone that sold better pads for he-500.

my velours are way too flat to be comfortable (they came on  top of the headphones in the case, i think they got kinda crushed, they look fine now but they're still much thinner than the pleathers, so im using the pleathers atm.

I would recommend a pair of the stock Denon pads.  No one seems to like them but me.  I love those pads on all the HiFiMans..  But we all know YMMV
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,439 of 20,386
Quote:

I would recommend a pair of the stock Denon pads.  No one seems to like them but me.  I love those pads on all the HiFiMans..  But we all know YMMV
biggrin.gif

I thought they worked pretty well, too :)  

J$ pads fit well and are very comfortable, I have a pair of J$ Beyer pads on mine at the moment and I assume the Denons would fit just fine as well.  Also, while a little loose, LCD-2 pads also fit and are quite comfortable.  I found the stock pads terrible from a comfort standpoint, especially the velour.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3,441 of 20,386
Looking for a good dealer for HE-500 in the states.  Where did you recent purchasers buy from?  Any quality issues that one should be aware of for this headphone?

I got mine from Amazon.com and they arrived in good condition with free 2-day shipping  (Amazon PRIME). They have a pretty good return policy as well. They'll even print you the label and pay for return shipping if the product doesn't live up to your expectations. I've been very happy with them.

beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,442 of 20,386
Quote:

I got mine from Amazon.com and they arrived in good condition with free 2-day shipping  (Amazon PRIME). They have a pretty good return policy as well. They'll even print you the label and pay for return shipping if the product doesn't live up to your expectations. I've been very happy with them.

beerchug.gif

Amazon has amazing customer service.  I buy whatever I can from Amazon if it's available.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3,443 of 20,386
Quote:

i would but i have no DIY skills

thats why i was looking to see if anyone knew of a place/someone that sold better pads for he-500.

my velours are way too flat to be comfortable (they came on  top of the headphones in the case, i think they got kinda crushed, they look fine now but they're still much thinner than the pleathers, so im using the pleathers atm.

I heard u can soap them in warm water...check the forum on that...that will help a bit with ur crushed pads. Good luck!

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,444 of 20,386
Quote:
Looking for a good dealer for HE-500 in the states.  Where did you recent purchasers buy from?  Any quality issues that one should be aware of for this headphone?

I understand from us based headfi'ers that its maybe less expensive to buy directly from headdirect.com...i dont know personally..as i am eu based..but make a calculation and see if its true..
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #3,445 of 20,386
Quote:
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but running balanced does not increase the power, it increases the gain.  It's usually 6db louder than single ended but it is not more powerful.  Running balanced is a pro tool to reduce hum in long runs of cable.  Does it sound better, possibly.  Does it sound louder, usually, and usually louder seems better.

No need to correct this.

KP

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,447 of 20,386
Quote:

thanks, and yes i did 
frown.gif
. i will just save up for a TH-900 in the future. 

im sure the norse cable will be much better than stock. the stocks not as bad as i thought but its still thin and microphonic at the ends, it bends awkwardly and it feels like its very fragile.

hah, i got the he-500, and you got the norse do tell me your impressions on them when you get them.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,448 of 20,386
D_G, this is a MUST listen on the HE-500's.  What I would consider Vince's FINEST work.  The quality holds up VERY well compared to my CD.
Song is called 'Opalin' and starts @ 0:16:50 into the album.
Enjoy.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,449 of 20,386
... and follow it up with this one from Gridlock Stendeck (my apologies to the Artist) (once again, quality holds up well compared to my CD).

LCD2's wish they could only sound this balanced, airy and extended. 
ph34r.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #3,450 of 20,386
I heard u can soap them in warm water...check the forum on that...that will help a bit with ur crushed pads. Good luck!

will try that. if it doesn't work i might try buying some new pads, looks like they're only 10 bucks, which is nothing. either way, im happy with the pleathers right now, i don't think theres a major sound difference between them and velour, its really minor if at all.

Quote:
D_G, this is a MUST listen on the HE-500's.  What I would consider Vince's FINEST work.  The quality holds up VERY well compared to my CD.
Song is called 'Opalin' and starts @ 0:16:50 into the album.
Enjoy.

sure will,  thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
hah, i got the he-500, and you got the norse do tell me your impressions on them when you get them.

gratz on the purchase and sure will.

also just woke up for a bit after leaving my HE-500s burning in some more. the sound is really opening up. im surprised how good the he-500 sound already. thinking of making an impressions thread soon once i listen to them more, im already getting pms about how they compare to hd 800/lcd-2, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back