HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3,391 of 20,386
I'm listening to them right now on monoblock 125w amps and they sound almost as good as the 6s. These are hardwired and recabled so I'm sure that helps but the clarity and separation really helps making a soundstage. And no, I'm not using all that power, it's the current reserves that make the orthos sing and few headphone amps have enough.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,392 of 20,386
I'd get a different amp, but not necessarily an expensive one. You need one that properly feeds them. In my experience the O2 doesn't. I was ambivalent regarding amps until I personally experienced the difference a proper amp makes with the HE-500.

You keep going on and on posting this. We get it, you don't have the correct wall wart/gain setting to use the o2 with your specific dac without clipping on the he-500. Just because you can't seem to rap your head around this doesn't mean you need to post everywhere that the o2 doesn't sound well with the he-500. At least set yours up correctly and then you can spout your opinion all over the forums. I think that's fair.

I don't want to come off as a tool, but if I know all about your issue just from browsing the forums you're going a little overboard.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,394 of 20,386
You keep going on and on posting this. We get it, you don't have the correct wall wart/gain setting to use the o2 with your specific dac without clipping on the he-500. Just because you can't seem to rap your head around this doesn't mean you need to post everywhere that the o2 doesn't sound well with the he-500. At least set yours up correctly and then you can spout your opinion all over the forums. I think that's fair.

I don't want to come off as a tool, but if I know all about your issue just from browsing the forums you're going a little overboard.

Why doesn't the O2 come from JDS Labs with a proper wall wart? I listened to people spouting all the objective reasons that the O2 was a proper amp for the HE-500 and it isn't - not the way it comes from the shop. I don't want people running away from a $700 investment in the HE-500 because they're trying to run it on an O2. The O2 is simply not sufficient to drive these headphones! It just isn't...not as given to me by a pre-fab maker.

What's worse is that in the sound science forum and on Voldemort's blog they specifically trash Schiit as an irresponsible amp maker. That scared me away and cost me time and money trying to make the O2 work reasonably well with my HE-500 and they just couldn't do it. I'm reasonably certain that even with a better wall wart, they STILL won't drive them very well. I will give it a shot and eat my words if I'm wrong, but too many people are using this amp in inappropriate applications and being misled to think that the problem is the HE-500 when it's really the amp.

I'm annoyed beyond reason (hence the constant refrain about which you complain) that the O2 is recommended in any capacity for these headphones while the designer of the O2 specifically trashes the only company that I know of that makes an inexpensive amp that does drive these headphones well.

Does it sound like I have a chip on my shoulder? I do! I have a $156 + shipping-sized chip on my shoulder.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,396 of 20,386
Quote:
Why doesn't the O2 come from JDS Labs with a proper wall wart? I listened to people spouting all the objective reasons that the O2 was a proper amp for the HE-500 and it isn't - not the way it comes from the shop. I don't want people running away from a $700 investment in the HE-500 because they're trying to run it on an O2. The O2 is simply not sufficient to drive these headphones! It just isn't...not as given to me by a pre-fab maker.

What's worse is that in the sound science forum and on Voldemort's blog they specifically trash Schiit as an irresponsible amp maker. That scared me away and cost me time and money trying to make the O2 work reasonably well with my HE-500 and they just couldn't do it. I'm reasonably certain that even with a better wall wart, they STILL won't drive them very well. I will give it a shot and eat my words if I'm wrong, but too many people are using this amp in inappropriate applications and being misled to think that the problem is the HE-500 when it's really the amp.

I'm annoyed beyond reason (hence the constant refrain about which you complain) that the O2 is recommended in any capacity for these headphones while the designer of the O2 specifically trashes the only company that I know of that makes an inexpensive amp that does drive these headphones well.

Does it sound like I have a chip on my shoulder? I do! I have a $156 + shipping-sized chip on my shoulder.

Well now. That's interesting. Got a link? I love a good scandal. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3,398 of 20,386
Quote:

You have to understand that you need to do some level of research when buying different components from different vendors and putting them together for a system.  Especially DIY open source designs (even if pre-built).  What you need is a dac that doesn't have a >2v input signal.  This is causing your clipping on high gain.  I don't know how much a difference the wall wart will make, I just saw that suggested to you by another member.  Keep in mind the gain/volume system on the o2 is different than the system used in the Magni.  It's not apples to apples.
Quote:
Come on guys keep this thread clean and civilized, I believe there is a thread that discuss about amps for the HE-500

I think I've been civilized.  I've since looked at his recent post history and forum members have already told him what the issue is and how to resolve it and instead of listening to them or understanding the incompatibility he keeps spreading misinformation.  There is a difference between "the o2 doesn't work with my setup because of electrical engineering" and "the o2 doesn't sound well with the he-500".  That's all I'm trying to point out.  That way when someone comes across this later they don't get the wrong information and think they can't pair these two.  I've said my piece.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,399 of 20,386
Quote:

You have to understand that you need to do some level of research when buying different components from different vendors and putting them together for a system.  Especially DIY open source designs (even if pre-built).  What you need is a dac that doesn't have a >2v input signal.  This is causing your clipping on high gain.  I don't know how much a difference the wall wart will make, I just saw that suggested to you by another member.  Keep in mind the gain/volume system on the o2 is different than the system used in the Magni.  It's not apples to apples.

I think I've been civilized.  I've since looked at his recent post history and forum members have already told him what the issue is and how to resolve it and instead of listening to them or understanding the incompatibility he keeps spreading misinformation.  There is a difference between "the o2 doesn't work with my setup because of electrical engineering" and "the o2 doesn't sound well with the he-500".  That's all I'm trying to point out.  That way when someone comes across this later they don't get the wrong information and think they can't pair these two.  I've said my piece.

Hey man,

All I want is for people to know that if the they're driving the HE-500 with an O2, the problem might be like mine was.  Had I known I had to be an electrical engineer to use the O2, I'd have passed it up - but I bought the hype about this amp and it didn't live up to my requirements.  I NOW understand the problems, and I'm by no means certain that the O2 + HE-500 = fail, but that because of the complexity of the different options available with this amp, it will frequently fail to drive the HE-500.  My only concern is that people don't overlook the headphone due to failures that have nothing to do with the actual headphones.

I would be very happy if I could get the O2 to work with my set-up.  I was under the impression that the amp could do more than it can do - other people may be under the same impression.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,400 of 20,386
I should also add that, as a newbie to this hobby, I had no idea the extent of the complexities of the interactions between source, amp, and transducer.  It's a learning process for me.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3,401 of 20,386
Can we get back on track here, for the sake of guests and other members reading this.

Not trying to take sides or anything, I don't see anything wrong with that diastermouse is saying. He's clearly giving his experiences and seeing how he ACTUALLY owns what he's talking about, I have nothing wrong with him talking whatever about his equipment.

^ main reason why I avoid Head-Fi a lot more nowadays...

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3,402 of 20,386
To help with re-tracking, I can easily say these are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned regardless of what is driving them and the stock cable is just fine. I'm building a backup cable out of some Mogami wire (no idea what model # but it's very flexible and skinny) so when that's done I'll hook it up and listen for the non-existent differences. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #3,403 of 20,386
I received my HE-500 earlier today and I've been thoroughly impressed so far. Obviously I've not had a lot of time for burn-in but I'll describe my thoughts.

Before today my go to cans were the Q701. The HE-500 is my first “high-end” headphone. My set came with the silver cable terminated with a 1/4” plug. I experimented with both the pleather and velour pads and found the velour pads worked best for me. I have a smallish head and discovered that with the headband at its shortest setting the earcups were sitting a few millimeters lower than what was comfortable. Wrapping a small bit of cloth around the headband a couple times provided an easy fix. It's significantly heavier than any of my other headphones but not so much that it's a problem. I've been wearing them all day and my neck hasn't snapped in half yet so I guess that's good.

Compared to the Q701, the HE-500 has a much richer and fuller sound. The mids are incredibly smooth. Bass is powerful with good impact but isn't overbearing, quite similar to the Q701 (which I run with +4db at 30Hz and 60Hz to smooth out the rolled-off bass). So much so, in fact, that initially I was a little underwhelmed. I've read so many testimonials about orthos having such an impressive bass impact that I guess I was expecting a little more. However I'm in no way disappointed as the bass is in perfect balance with the rest of the spectrum. Highs are crystal clear without any of the peaks or minor sibilance of the Q701. Overall a very well-rounded and neutral sound. I'm looking forward to seeing how these cans mature throughout the burn-in process.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #3,404 of 20,386
I can't emphasize this enough, Silver cables and SPC (Silver Plated Copper) are very different. The HE-500 uses SPC as the stock cable

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,405 of 20,386
Quote:
I received my HE-500 earlier today and I've been thoroughly impressed so far. Obviously I've not had a lot of time for burn-in but I'll describe my thoughts.

Before today my go to cans were the Q701. The HE-500 is my first “high-end” headphone. My set came with the silver cable terminated with a 1/4” plug. I experimented with both the pleather and velour pads and found the velour pads worked best for me. I have a smallish head and discovered that with the headband at its shortest setting the earcups were sitting a few millimeters lower than what was comfortable. Wrapping a small bit of cloth around the headband a couple times provided an easy fix. It's significantly heavier than any of my other headphones but not so much that it's a problem. I've been wearing them all day and my neck hasn't snapped in half yet so I guess that's good.

Compared to the Q701, the HE-500 has a much richer and fuller sound. The mids are incredibly smooth. Bass is powerful with good impact but isn't overbearing, quite similar to the Q701 (which I run with +4db at 30Hz and 60Hz to smooth out the rolled-off bass). So much so, in fact, that initially I was a little underwhelmed. I've read so many testimonials about orthos having such an impressive bass impact that I guess I was expecting a little more. However I'm in no way disappointed as the bass is in perfect balance with the rest of the spectrum. Highs are crystal clear without any of the peaks or minor sibilance of the Q701. Overall a very well-rounded and neutral sound. I'm looking forward to seeing how these cans mature throughout the burn-in process.

I have the same problem with a small head.  Someone posted a solution using a cheap headphone band cushion and a consumer adhesive. I could look them up for you.  I had to use a small towel wrapped around the headband as well until someone posted this solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back