HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #3,016 of 20,386
Quote:

I should have said in my post "provided the treble peak is dealt with".  It's really quite benign and easily ironed out unless you use a dedicated HP amp in isolation, away from a computer. This is why I won't use a dedicated HP amp and much prefer an integrated, because even the best phones need a tweak, and once that tweak is applied the DT880 is certainly one of the best phones. As for the HE-500 being more neutral, to me it makes everything sounds like it was recorded in a cave, as I've said elsewhere. There's a ringing/resonance somewhere that really bothers me, which the DT880 completely lacks. No, I don't find the HE-500 neutral at all.

I've really found the DT880 and HE-500 to sound the opposite of what you're saying (although we both seem to agree the DT880 has too harsh treble).. I liked the HE-500 much better than the LCD2 even (which sounded more closed and had too laid-back treble)...but different ears, different opinions. 

The HE-500 is one of my favorite headphones after trying out many many of them..they really make me forget about the headphones and just listen to the music and still amaze me when i pick them up..

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #3,017 of 20,386
Quote:

I should have said in my post "provided the treble peak is dealt with".  It's really quite benign and easily ironed out unless you use a dedicated HP amp in isolation, away from a computer. This is why I won't use a dedicated HP amp and much prefer an integrated, because even the best phones need a tweak, and once that tweak is applied the DT880 is certainly one of the best phones. As for the HE-500 being more neutral, to me it makes everything sounds like it was recorded in a cave, as I've said elsewhere. There's a ringing/resonance somewhere that really bothers me, which the DT880 completely lacks. No, I don't find the HE-500 neutral at all.

There is 2 things the HE-500 have, which the DT-880 cannot achieve. Amazing bass, and fast transients. IMO the problems that the HE-500 have can be dealt with through modding the pads.

I find the DT-880 to be very slow in direct comparison. I remember finding it to be struggling compared to the HE-500.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #3,019 of 20,386
Quote:
There is 2 things the HE-500 have, which the DT-880 cannot achieve. Amazing bass, and fast transients. IMO the problems that the HE-500 have can be dealt with through modding the pads.

What you say may be true, but as a listener to classical/orchestral music exclusively they're less important to me than other aspects like lack of colouration, neutral balance and low listener fatigue. Bass and fast transients are of course more important in other forms of music.

As for modding the HE-500 pads, I'm 66 and my modding days are over, thank you. If a manufacturer can't get it right at the design stage I'm not about to second guess him.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #3,020 of 20,386
Quote:
I've really found the DT880 and HE-500 to sound the opposite of what you're saying (although we both seem to agree the DT880 has too harsh treble)..

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. The DT880 has a treble peak which needs to be ironed out for ideal balance, but the treble is by no means harsh; quite the opposite. Quality and quantity here are two different things.

By "the opposite" are you saying the DT880 sounds like everything was recorded in a cave?

Quote:
Not to mention the acid midrange.

Do you mean the DT880? I've never heard them described that way before, nor is it anything like what I hear. Acid midrange? I may have to put an asbestos cloth over my ears when I use them next time.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #3,023 of 20,386
Personally, I don't really trust the headroom graphs

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #3,024 of 20,386
Quote:
I don't think you can say one is problematic and not the other...

Those don't tell much. This might show you more detail:

HE500

DT880

Pretty obvious how severe each peak is.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #3,025 of 20,386
Where is it possible to see a waterfall plot of the HE-500 bass?

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #3,026 of 20,386
Quote:
Where is it possible to see a waterfall plot of the HE-500 bass?

Nowhere; bass waterfall plot tends to hold very little information because it just drags out. Even the lower end of the shown waterfall plots show that at 500 Hz there is already a huge amount of bloat that goes off the time scale.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,027 of 20,386
Quote:
Nowhere; bass waterfall plot tends to hold very little information because it just drags out. Even the lower end of the shown waterfall plots show that at 500 Hz there is already a huge amount of bloat that goes off the time scale.

Some 'phones do bass better than others. Therefore it must be measurable with a bigger scale? You could just split it into different charts.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3,028 of 20,386

Some 'phones do bass better than others. Therefore it must be measurable with a bigger scale? You could just split it into different charts.

That makes sense in theory I know. That's why I do recall seeing some headphone CSDs in the past with the bass portion included, however for the particular source in mind (N/A) purrin does not measure the bass.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #3,029 of 20,386
Quote:

Is this the work of LFF?  I wonder if they can do this to a stock pair of HE-5s as well.

No it's apparently from someone named Martin. I don't know any more detail than that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back