HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,956 of 20,386
Solude--Why are you selling your F3?

--Curious how it would handle the HE 6--I've had and have Pass amps and love them--

Thanks

Jack

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,959 of 20,386
The only HiFiMAN I have heard is the HE-5LE so... no thoughts.  Should be awesome given even with the LCD-2 there is ZERO noise even with a wide open pot.  Quieter than most headphone amps I've had which is sad.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,960 of 20,386
Quote:
The only HiFiMAN I have heard is the HE-5LE so... no thoughts.  Should be awesome given even with the LCD-2 there is ZERO noise even with a wide open pot.  Quieter than most headphone amps I've had which is sad.

Thanks--Have to think on this as I am now using an old Threshold/Pass CAS 1 75 wpc amp with the HE 6's and pretty much loving it---

Also have Emotiva's Mini X & XPA 200 which is 150 wpc I use on the HE 6's and the XPA 200 is also pretty nice (actually very nice) but lacks the deep tight bass the CAS 1 delivers..

Jack

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,961 of 20,386
Quote:

Thanks--Have to think on this as I am now using an old Threshold/Pass CAS 1 75 wpc amp with the HE 6's and pretty much loving it---

Also have Emotiva's Mini X & XPA 200 which is 150 wpc I use on the HE 6's and the XPA 200 is also pretty nice (actually very nice) but lacks the deep tight bass the CAS 1 delivers..

Jack

Jackiedh,

You sound like me 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,962 of 20,386
Quote:

I can't speak about the NFB-6 as I haven't heard it but based on what I've read of your reviews, you may actually like the SA-31.  It's sound signature is likely closer to the V200 than the NFB-6. It uses a completely different topology and traditional through hole components vs SMD parts.  The topology is supposedly modeled after a mid 90's Accuphase amplifier.  Similar to how the V200 is based on an old Nakamichi circuit.  

It's interesting how some manufacturers are looking back to older Japanese stereo equipment as inspiration for newer products.  Also, The SA-31 is single ended only and so is optimized as such.  I'm really curious to hear the Soloist. I can't say for sure since I haven't heard the Soloist, but I would imagine the SA-31 is closer in performance to the Soloist than the NFB-6.  I feel it's a very special amp in the otherwise somewhat generic Audio-GD lineup.

To stay on topic, It's also had good impressions from Hifiman owners as well, HE-400, HE-500, and HE-6.  At about $550 shipped, it's an excellent alternative to something like the Lyr, and I personally greatly prefer it over the Lyr I owned.  

Never heard the SA-31 but I am not in the market for another amp. I just bought the V200 again. No room for a fourth amp.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,963 of 20,386
Quote:

Jackiedh,

You sound like me 
biggrin.gif

You got it--He 6 what a journey!!!!

But what Rewards are waiting there........

And So It Goes..

Jack

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,964 of 20,386
Quote:
Never heard the SA-31 but I am not in the market for another amp. I just bought the V200 again. No room for a fourth amp.

Can't say I blame you.  I'm not trying to sell you on it.  Just putting it out there for others as another alternative and so people don't pre-judge it solely by the performance of the NFB-6.  The V200 is also an excellent amp by all accounts and would be on my shortlist as well if it fit my budget.  Kind of bummed I missed a recent meet where I could have listened to one.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,965 of 20,386
Quote:
O2 LOL

Researched and these are the candidates. No way that I can audition most of them.

Audio GD SA-31 / NFB-6 / Compass 2
Burson HA-160 / Soloist SL
La Figaro 339 with TS5998 & RCA5693
Emotiva mini-X a-100
EF-5 US499
Sh1t Lyr
Violectric V200
Botttlehead S.E.X

The list does not look random to me, too. Actually, the Soloist and HA-160 aren't reported often in this thread and Audio-gd doesn't get mentioned that much either, neither does the the BH SEX. So, it is refreshing to see a longer list of options open for discussion.
It would be useful to stick to the HE-500, as after all, this is an HE-500 thread and the topic is not how to amp an HE-6. People just get confused, and start thinking the only way to solve the riddle of the best sound with the HE-500 would be to buy the HE-6 instead and tame it with a godly amp.
I would add the Mjölnir. I have heard it on a meet with the HE-500, compared it to the Lyr and found the Mjölnir impressive. Very detailed and great stage, a good level up from the Lyr (IMO). I would have probably already bought it if it wouldn't be too big for my desk.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,966 of 20,386
Quote:
It's random in that it has no direction.  None of those amps sound alike.  Drill down if you want tubes or solid state.  Drill down a budget.  Drill down a feature set.  Drill down the character you want from the amp.  Then make a list.

The two I picked out are the 'safe' choices.

I personally find speaker amps the safest options (given that they don't insane amounts of power). That's the reason I went with Emotiva. Even if it doesn't work out with the HE-500, you can still use it with speakers. I use the Emotiva now with the HE-500 as well as tower speakers and works just fine.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,967 of 20,386
Quote:

I personally find speaker amps the safest options (given that they don't insane amounts of power). That's the reason I went with Emotiva. Even if it doesn't work out with the HE-500, you can still use it with speakers. I use the Emotiva now with the HE-500 as well as tower speakers and works just fine.

The main reason I bought a pair of HE-500s is because I had a speaker amp sitting around so I didn't have to worry about what amp to get.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,969 of 20,386
Don't forget, the speaker amp still needs to be GOOD. It's not just power.

+2, it is not always about the power, but the soundquality that produced by the amp/dac is also count, I'm driving my HE-500 with my Dacmini which have less power than any speaker amp or the V200, but does the HE-500 sound bad?? No, the HE-500 sounds great out of the Dacmini, if less bass means less power law applied then, I say the Dacmini have the power to drive the HE-500 because I'm still hearing that sub bass rumble out of my setups

Dacmini power output specs here and here

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back