HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,621 of 20,386
Quote:
While my HE-500 are closely matched (~53.3 & 53.5 ohms), it falls fairly far out side of the +/- 25% impedance tolerance range (which Fang referred to in another thread).  How would this impact the intended sound of the HE-500?

Nobody really knows except Fang. It will surely make your HE-500 less efficient (and easier load for your amp), but how it effects SQ nobody can be sure.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,622 of 20,386
Quote:
Maybe you would love my pair better because it is graduated top of the HE-500 class 
tongue.gif

LOL

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,623 of 20,386
I have a replacement on the way, so I might get some idea how a high impedance pair fairs against a ~38 ohm pair. The two problems are that 1) Who knows if my replacement will even measure at ~38 ohms, and 2) how am I supposed to remember intricate details of a headphone after being away from it for 2 weeks?

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,624 of 20,386
I know how much everyone hates these questions, but is the HE-500 the new cut-off line for "high end" audio? Personal opinions of course, since the law of diminishing returns is in effect from the very beginning, and I personally argue that "high end" is the point where you are truly happy with your set up.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,625 of 20,386
Quote:
I know how much everyone hates these questions, but is the HE-500 the new cut-off line for "high end" audio? Personal opinions of course, since the law of diminishing returns is in effect from the very beginning, and I personally argue that "high end" is the point where you are truly happy with your set up.

I like them a lot more than my HD650s. And since Sennheiser upped the price of the HD650s back to ~$500 I don't think they are worth the price when compared to the HE-500s

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,626 of 20,386
Quote:
I like them a lot more than my HD650s. And since Sennheiser upped the price of the HD650s back to ~$500 I don't think they are worth the price when compared to the HE-500s

Let the flaming begin but they are not worth any price when compared to the HE-500

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,627 of 20,386
Quote:

Realistically there is no cut-off line. Summit-fi strives to be about top notch sound rather than price-tag, the two are of course closely correlated but never causal, and there's lots of outliers. And of course, the "where you are truly happy with your set up" aka subjectivity is in the end the only determinant.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,631 of 20,386
Nice. I don't like it too much with pleather HE-500 pads because they get slightly squashed on the upper part but headphones fit nicely on the stand.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,632 of 20,386
So, I just got mine and here are my very early, right on the head impressions

Good
- The sound is very cohesive and "real" if that makes any sense.  
- Instrumental separation is good, if not particularly better than the Beyers.
- THE BASS IS AWESOME.
- Vocals sound good, very natural
- There doesn't seem to be any part of the sound that's over-emphasized. Everything is very even.

Bad
- There's a veil. I don't like that at all. In fact, I'd say that detail retrieval is lower than the Beyers. 
- They're much less comfortable than the Beyers, though I am getting used to them.

I'll give them some time. I think I may learn that detail retrieval is really, really important to me, moreso than I thought before. This might push me towards the HD800 if I end up not liking the sound signature. I mean, if I see a pair in the forums for about $1k, I may pick them up just to try them out. Their supposed lack of bass may be a deal breaker, though.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,633 of 20,386
Quote:

Good
- THE BASS IS AWESOME.
- There doesn't seem to be any part of the sound that's over-emphasized. Everything is very even.

Bad
- There's a veil. I don't like that at all. In fact, I'd say that detail retrieval is lower than the Beyers. 
- They're much less comfortable than the Beyers, though I am getting used to them.

I'll give them some time. I think I may learn that detail retrieval is really, really important to me, moreso than I thought before. This might push me towards the HD800 if I end up not liking the sound signature. I mean, if I see a pair in the forums for about $1k, I may pick them up just to try them out. Their supposed lack of bass may be a deal breaker, though.

What amp are you using them with? A veil doesn't sound correct imo. Did you measure them already?

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,634 of 20,386

Good
- THE BASS IS AWESOME.

Bad

For me the HE-500 bass is miles more enjoyable than HD800 bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back