HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #991 of 20,386

Quote:
Very true.  There are things each headphone does better than the other so it boils down to what qualities one prefers.  And, in some audio rigs the HE-500 might sound better and in others the LCD-2 sounds better.  I can officially say that while I really enjoyed the LCD-2 I have no plan to return to another one.  I'll admit that was my main worry in the transition from the LCD-2 to the HE-500.  Is the LCD-2 worth more for the build quality.  Maybe, it looks great and wood costs more than plastic.  Throw in the Audeze carrying case, better cable, and more expensive earpads.  Take away all the Audeze goodies and the HE-500 & LCD-2 are both $700 headphones 
biggrin.gif

There was a very small part of me (*very* small) that was hoping the LCD-2 and HE-500 would be so close in character that it would be easy to say "heck, they're nearly the same so I'll just keep the $699 pair and return the other one!"

But that didn't happen...

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #992 of 20,386
Wish we could have the big HE-500 drivers (which I think is what makes me feel the HE-500 is better balanced and more dynamic in medium  and higher frequencies -- albeit with a less dynamic and powerfull bass) with wood and whole build quality of the LCD-2... 

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #993 of 20,386
I have the HE-6, HE-500 and LCD-2 all roughly in the same SQ level (the HE-6 technically more proficient than the HE-500, but mids to me aren't quite as good). I owned the LCD-2 and HE-6 more than a year ago (using the HE-6 via speaker taps), could not decide which I liked better.

The LCD-2 and HE-6 were roughly the same price then ($999 vs $945 IIRC) I loved the HE-500 as well when I heard it.

Have never heard the LCD-3.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #994 of 20,386

^

HE-500 and LCD-2 is on the same level. Period. 

I do not agree that build quality is worse on the HiFIman. It is more likely to take a drop to the floor thant the Audez'e, an Hifiman stopped using wood because of the craks - which several Audez'e has reported. I'd rather have the LCD-2 in a HE-500 housing than the other way around.  have both and could hardly decide which not to keep if I had to...

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #995 of 20,386

Quote:

^

I do not agree that build quality is worse on the HiFIman. It is more likely to take a drop to the floor thant the Audez'e, an Hifiman stopped using wood because of the craks - which several Audez'e has reported. I'd rather have the LCD-2 in a HE-500 housing than the other way around.  have both and could hardly decide which not to keep if I had to...

Completely agree to this. I feel exactly the same

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #996 of 20,386

Quote:

^

Totally disagree to this. I compared both and in my ears/eyes the sound and build quality of the HE-500 is far away from LCD-2. For me the LCD-2 is more than one step ahead.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #997 of 20,386
HE-500 definitely sounds way more refined than the LCD-2s, especially for classical music and live performances. About the only time when I pick up to listen to my LCD-2s is when I find a rock song too bright on the HE-500s. Aside from the whole cable fiasco, I haven't really had much to complain about in terms of the HE-500's build quality.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #998 of 20,386

Quote:
HE-500 definitely sounds way more refined than the LCD-2s, especially for classical music and live performances. About the only time when I pick up to listen to my LCD-2s is when I find a rock song too bright on the HE-500s. Aside from the whole cable fiasco, I haven't really had much to complain about in terms of the HE-500's build quality.

The more I listen to both, I think they are rather a nice (but perhaps extravagant) compliment to one another. 

Apart from the HE-500 cable, I did see the one post about the screws that hold the headphones together being defective or a design flaw but that might have been a one-off. From what I can tell the *basic* design of how they are both held together is the same, the LCD-2 just are thicker and sturdier-looking.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #999 of 20,386
So you are keeping both orthos?
I primarily use one headphone at a time so I couldn't foresee myself keeping both.  I barely have enough time to listen to one headphone.  Money no object, yes, I keep both as both do complement each other very well.  I wonder if the LCD-3 is a good compromise between the LCD-2 and HE-500.  I haven't been good keeping up with the LCD-3 thread.

Quote:
There was a very small part of me (*very* small) that was hoping the LCD-2 and HE-500 would be so close in character that it would be easy to say "heck, they're nearly the same so I'll just keep the $699 pair and return the other one!"

But that didn't happen...

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,000 of 20,386

Quote:
So you are keeping both orthos?
I primarily use one headphone at a time so I couldn't foresee myself keeping both.  I barely have enough time to listen to one headphone.  Money no object, yes, I keep both as both do complement each other very well.  I wonder if the LCD-3 is a good compromise between the LCD-2 and HE-500.  I haven't been good keeping up with the LCD-3 thread.

I am keeping both. Of course, my fascination with these got me thinking about the LCD-3 and for just a grand more (heh, heh) I could hear what those have to offer. But then someone here (probably rightly) pointed out that perhaps my Lyr would not do them justice so I'll just stick with what I have for now along with a small collection of tubes.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,001 of 20,386
Everyone seems to have a Lyr nowadays (?).

Lyr sure can drive the LCD-3 really well (doing them justice) and matching up to their quality (as headphones) in sound, I've heard... Can anyone care for a brief comment on this, please?
Also, I wonder how does the Lyr sound with the HE-6, if anyone got any experience with this particular combination.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,002 of 20,386

Quote:
Everyone seems to have a Lyr nowadays (?).

Lyr sure can drive the LCD-3 really well (doing them justice) and matching up to their quality (as headphones) in sound, I've heard... Can anyone care for a brief comment on this, please?
Also, I wonder how does the Lyr sound with the HE-6, if anyone got any experience with this particular combination.

I tried the Lyr with the HE-6 at RMAF.  It's still a little underpowered, but it did a very decent job.  I haven't compared it to the EF5 side by side, so I can't comment on how they compare, but I think both can do an adequate job with the HE-6 although neither one has optimal power levels.  I'd prefer a 40-55 watt vintage speaker amp via the speaker outputs myself.  I haven't tried the Lyr with any other headphone.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #1,003 of 20,386
I am thinking about driving HE500s with an headphone amp. A tube amp most probably.

What do you think about driving HE500s with a tube headphone amp?

For example I am thinking about getting Primaluna Prologue Two.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,004 of 20,386

Quote:
I am thinking about driving HE500s with an headphone amp. A tube amp most probably.

What do you think about driving HE500s with a tube headphone amp?

For example I am thinking about getting Primaluna Prologue Two.

The Schiit Lyr is probably the most common tube amp for the HE500s now.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,005 of 20,386

Quote:

Totally disagree to this. I compared both and in my ears/eyes the sound and build quality of the HE-500 is far away from LCD-2. For me the LCD-2 is more than one step ahead.

How so? The LCD2 I had had cracked wood and cracked blocks never ending swivel cups and screws that were always loose. it was a garage built erector set IMO. I think the HE500 while not as well built as a Beyer T1 is still much better than the LCD built that I once owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back