HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #976 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm totally new to this, so you'll have to forgive me, but how can I tell the positive and negative wires apart?

I dunno if I can describe this that well without using pictures, but here I go. If you have the standard Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug (either 3.5mm tip or 6.3mm tip with 3 contacts), the right + should be the middle contact point (ring), the left + should be the tip contact point, and the - for both should be the sleeve contact point. Use a multimeter with either a connectivity detector or the ohmmeter function and figure out which wire at the connector end is the + and which is the - end and you should be good to go. If you've soldered stuff and know how to use a multimeter, it shouldn't be too hard of a repair. Good luck!

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #978 of 20,386

Quote:
I dunno if I can describe this that well without using pictures, but here I go. If you have the standard Tip/Ring/Sleeve plug (either 3.5mm tip or 6.3mm tip with 3 contacts), the right + should be the middle contact point (ring), the left + should be the tip contact point, and the - for both should be the sleeve contact point. Use a multimeter with either a connectivity detector or the ohmmeter function and figure out which wire at the connector end is the + and which is the - end and you should be good to go. If you've soldered stuff and know how to use a multimeter, it shouldn't be too hard of a repair. Good luck!

Quote:
Here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

+1 to you both.  I haven't used a multimeter since I was a kid, so I'll have to pick one up or borrow it from my physics lab.  I think I'll substitute electrical tape for heat shrink just to make the next inevitable repair easier.  I swear, I run through cables like popcorn.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #979 of 20,386

Quote:

+1 to you both.  I haven't used a multimeter since I was a kid, so I'll have to pick one up or borrow it from my physics lab.  I think I'll substitute electrical tape for heat shrink just to make the next inevitable repair easier.  I swear, I run through cables like popcorn.

That's like blasphemy here where solder is silver and interconnects can cost more then most headphones. 
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #983 of 20,386
I have now had the He500 for about a week, and I must say I have never enjoyed music this much. I must admit they didn't wow me at the start, but now they just sound so right.

I am very impressed and very happy with this headphone! :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #984 of 20,386
Just finished reading the whole thread. Some very interesting points made. 

I will be getting my HE-500 this week and will be using it with the Lyr. 

This is my first high-end headphone (is it really high-end?) headphone so I hope I won't be disappointed. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #985 of 20,386

Quote:
at the end of the left connector's strain relief

BTW are the OCC HE-6 cables any better? My HE-500's cables weren't even properly litz braided at some points.

Mine did exactly the same today after two months, the quality of the cable is just under all critique. Just put an order on the Poison Toxic Pure OCC Silver Cable from Frank.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #986 of 20,386

Quote:

Mine did exactly the same today after two months, the quality of the cable is just under all critique. Just put an order on the Poison Toxic Pure OCC Silver Cable from Frank.

I have an order to Frank in for Silver cables for my LCD-2. I'm hoping the HE-500 sound good with the Lyr, then another order for Frank!

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #988 of 20,386
People keep saying LCD-2 is not comparable to the HE-500. HE-500 is indeed the LCD-2 toe-to-toe competitor from HiFiMan.HE-6 is ONLY comparable to the LCD-3. 
Also, in my opinion (even having spent little time listening a friend's LCD-2 -- Never heard the LCD-3, by the way) the HiFiMans feel more "resolved" and overall better sounding than the Audeze's (which seems to be not well-balanced to me).

Anyhow, I still think Audeze makes great headphones and both the LCD2 and HE500 are at the same level, it's a matter of taste only.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #989 of 20,386

Quote:
People keep saying LCD-2 is not comparable to the HE-500. HE-500 is indeed the LCD-2 toe-to-toe competitor from HiFiMan.HE-6 is ONLY comparable to the LCD-3. 
Also, in my opinion (even having spent little time listening a friend's LCD-2 -- Never heard the LCD-3, by the way) the HiFiMans feel more "resolved" and overall better sounding than the Audeze's (which seems to be not well-balanced to me).

Anyhow, I still think Audeze makes great headphones and both the LCD2 and HE500 are at the same level, it's a matter of taste only.

I tend to agree with you. Having these two headphones is the most blissful and frustrating experience, all at the same time.

Overall, the HE-500 sound better but lack bass. The HE-500 are lighter. But let's be honest, their build quality is questionable and I'm waiting for the cable to be rendered useless any time now. Great that it's light--but there's light and then there's fragile and I'm afraid this cable is the latter.

On the other hand, the LCD-2 has a very lush sound, more bass and generally makes everything sound pleasant (thank God I've gotten over my *accurate* phase). They are very enjoyable, perhaps preferable, for certain kinds of music. But they are heavier, although I must confess I've gotten used to them in the last two weeks. The big pleather pads are not uncomfortable to me. Again with the funky cable but at least I am not afraid this one is going to break. And yes, I did get a set with a wood crack the first time but the second one is fine. Build quality overall is better.

So put them together and I have a great pair of headphones! Too bad I have to have two sets to get there...

I'm saying most of this with tongue in cheek because I'm very happy with both and I'm enjoying (re)discovering my music with these. At this level (IMHO) there is no "good" or "bad" just what you prefer and what you don't. I'm looking forward to spending many more hours in Ortho heaven.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #990 of 20,386
Very true.  There are things each headphone does better than the other so it boils down to what qualities one prefers.  And, in some audio rigs the HE-500 might sound better and in others the LCD-2 sounds better.  I can officially say that while I really enjoyed the LCD-2 I have no plan to return to another one.  I'll admit that was my main worry in the transition from the LCD-2 to the HE-500.  Is the LCD-2 worth more for the build quality.  Maybe, it looks great and wood costs more than plastic.  Throw in the Audeze carrying case, better cable, and more expensive earpads.  Take away all the Audeze goodies and the HE-500 & LCD-2 are both $700 headphones 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back