HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #902 of 20,386
I am the only one that find the new thicker velour pads clutter the HE-500 sound signature? The original velour pads (slimmer and less denser) sound better on all parameters - save the soundstage.

It is almost like the velour pads for the AKG 271mkII -> These pads congest the vocals and make the headphone sound less natural (on the T50RP that is).

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #904 of 20,386
Puh. Thanks. For a split moment there - I thought I was the outcast. My next step was to mount the subject pads on my HE-6 - you saved me from that work.

I'll try to get the original HE-500 pads back on. :)

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #905 of 20,386
Wow. I thought that the consensus up to this point was that the newer velour pads improved the SQ dramatically. Otherwise, wouldn't there be a lot of criticism regarding the presentation of the newer HE-500's with newer pads. Hmmm...

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #906 of 20,386
Wait what? New pads "ruins" the sound of HE500?

I find the new velour much more comfortable (and a tad better sounding) than the pleather pads. How about the beyer pads then? Are they an alternative?

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #909 of 20,386
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon doesn't ruin it for me but I will add a copper cable for comparison.  Would you guys also agree that the system components may also dictate how the cable influences the sound?  For me, W4S DAC-2 + V200 + Silver cable sound very good.  The V200 has a hint of warmth to it which may help out with the qualities of silver that you guys don't like.  The W4S is not an edgy or harsh DAC.  A smooth, detailed DAC.  

However, I do want to get a copper cable to determine if I am missing out on anything 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
The silver cable also ruins it for me, but that's just me liking copper :D

Quote:
Beyers Pad + copper cable = PERFECT...

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #910 of 20,386
I tried both a Q cable and my current Silver Dragon V3 with my HE-500. Loved the ergonomics of the Q, but the bass seemed just a bit rolled off or muted. With the HE-500 being just a touch warm, I find the Silver Dragon V3 to have very good synergy. On the other hand, I much prefer my norse cable with my HE-6. Both are sourced by Lyr+Bifrost.

Quote:
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon doesn't ruin it for me but I will add a copper cable for comparison.  Would you guys also agree that the system components may also dictate how the cable influences the sound?  For me, W4S DAC-2 + V200 + Silver cable sound very good.  The V200 has a hint of warmth to it which may help out with the qualities of silver that you guys don't like.  The W4S is not an edgy or harsh DAC.  A smooth, detailed DAC.  

However, I do want to get a copper cable to determine if I am missing out on anything 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #911 of 20,386
You may or may not have saved me $200 or so on a copper cable 
biggrin.gif
.  I may still just order one to try it.  But, yes the V3 silver has a lot of punch to it, I'm not finding any faults, just wondering if the copper would be better for vocals.  

Quote:
I tried both a Q cable and my current Silver Dragon V3 with my HE-500. Loved the ergonomics of the Q, but the bass seemed just a bit rolled off or muted. With the HE-500 being just a touch warm, I find the Silver Dragon V3 to have very good synergy. On the other hand, I much prefer my norse cable with my HE-6. Both are sourced by Lyr+Bifrost.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #912 of 20,386
I understand the need to hear for myself - I have the same affliction 
wink_face.gif
. Overall, the Q/litz had a nice, smooth presentation. Vocals sounded very good, though to me, not necessarily better than the Silver Dragon V3 (IMO). Look forward to your impressions!

Quote:
You may or may not have saved me $200 or so on a copper cable 
biggrin.gif
.  I may still just order one to try it.  But, yes the V3 silver has a lot of punch to it, I'm not finding any faults, just wondering if the copper would be better for vocals.  

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #913 of 20,386
Thank you for the insight, I may end up saving myself some money.  I'm sending my silver dragon back to Drew at Moon for some repairs, the cable-connector interface is loose and cuts out in one channel so I'm just using the stock cable right now.  That's probably why I'm interested in another cable while I wait for the return of the V3.

Quote:
I understand the need to hear for myself - I have the same affliction 
wink_face.gif
. Overall, the Q/litz had a nice, smooth presentation. Vocals sounded very good, though to me, not necessarily better than the Silver Dragon V3 (IMO). Look forward to your impressions!

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #914 of 20,386
There is a lot of nonsense in this thread: "Wait what? New pads "ruins" the sound of HE500?" All that is new isn't always better...

The new new velour pads are de facto cluttering the vocals. Some might like it, though. All respect to them. But, the new velour pads is a degradation to the initial / original velour pads for the HE-500. IM(H)O.

Quote:
Wow. I thought that the consensus up to this point was that the newer velour pads improved the SQ dramatically. Otherwise, wouldn't there be a lot of criticism regarding the presentation of the newer HE-500's with newer pads. Hmmm...

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #915 of 20,386
Update: Removed the "new and improved velour pads". Wow. The HE-500 sound is back. Thanks. :) New isn't always better. QED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back