HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #20,056 of 20,386
Hey Brother, we are not making fun of you. I apologize for any offense, I just saw the comment, and I tough we could make something fun out of it.

But that's good advice: keep them clean and away from anything that can destroy the drives. especially since they are no longer made.
Go ahead and make fun! Rather discuss whatever with you than try and convince the ABX simpletons that doing mods and physical changes under the heuristic approach is not anti-science.

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #20,057 of 20,386
Hello! please tell me with which cable it is better to use headphones? Copper or silver? there is a possibility to take pure silver for 100$, but I don't know the result with such a conductor, has anyone tried it? Is it better to take copper?

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #20,058 of 20,386
Hello! please tell me with which cable it is better to use headphones? Copper or silver? there is a possibility to take pure silver for 100$, but I don't know the result with such a conductor, has anyone tried it? Is it better to take copper?
It all depends on what you are looking for; usually, Silver will bring more brightness and details to headphones. Cooper will bring more bass and darker sounds.
I went with a copper silver-plated cable myself.

I do believe the original cable was silver if memory is good.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #20,059 of 20,386
It all depends on what you are looking for; usually, Silver will bring more brightness and details to headphones. Cooper will bring more bass and darker sounds.
I went with a copper silver-plated cable myself.

I do believe the original cable was silver if memory is good.
Does silver add brightness without compromising bass? And does silver-plated copper make the sound brighter with more low frequencies?

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #20,060 of 20,386
Does silver add brightness without compromising bass? And does silver-plated copper make the sound brighter with more low frequencies?
The Silver increases the brightness to me but makes the bass more tight, impactful, and controlled. But it can decrease the level of bass. Less bloomy.
Silver-plated copper, depending on the amount of copper and silver on it, but for most parts, they meet in the middle. You get more details with a bit better bass.

Example. I prefer to use a copper cable with my HD800, cause they are a bit too bright. The copper brings a bit more bass down the treble.

With my LCD-XC, I like a silver cable cause it brings more details to the music and the tightness of the bass.

With my Stellia, I used both depending on the music I'm listening

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #20,061 of 20,386
Jan 1, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #20,062 of 20,386
Hey guys.

Happy New Year.

Which of these pads would you recommend for HE-500 based on materials/appearance/guessing? lol

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPADuue
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mORkBfu
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msa5DzU

Different cheap AliExpress options appreciated.
I want to improve my HE-500 with a 3.5mm connector mod, OCC XLR balanced cable, open grills and new pads.

Thanks in advance,
Gui
Stay clear of anything smooth nonporous like leather or similar they are too reflective
Dekoni or Beyer are reasonably priced and much better quality so will last longer cost less overall

Jan 1, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #20,064 of 20,386
Yes that would work, Beyer pads are quite tight on the HE500 rings but they will work
If you could find HE500 pattern in a velour material that would be better
Also many people seem to prefer angled pads although personally I prefer flat

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #20,065 of 20,386
I sold my adorama he6se because I was worried of magnet issues in the future. It worked out, as I was able to re-acquire a he-500 for less, and had a spare set of alpha pads. They wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I like them more than stock!
Try out the HE-6 SE "v1". I used mine 60% of the time since I got it in late 2018, with the v2 going new for $399, the "v1" should be found cheap if anyone is selling. Its well more technical than the 500, and with all the mods and EQ I throw at my 500 and 6 SE - the 6 SE is simply better, but there is a euphonic thing the 500 does with among other things female vocals that is irreplaceable.

At the risk of repeating myself for the 27th time. On the 500 and 6 SE the DCA Ether Angled coupled with no screens or more open screens stomps the other 14 pads I've tried with them. Pony up the money, and be happy. Then get an OFC free copper cable, and a parametric EQ (and don't swallow the nonsense bass settings of the current fav orgs which are nonsense unless you want to listen to over the top bass.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #20,066 of 20,386
Dropping 500 drivers into 4XX shells.

Attachments

• BAC05574-EE5B-4CDD-97E8-F0BA95CFC026.jpeg
    BAC05574-EE5B-4CDD-97E8-F0BA95CFC026.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back