HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #20,041 of 20,386
I cannot reccomend any HFM pads for round cups. None of them sound good to me on the 500.

I suppose you could search for opinions on the various Alibaba pads and try that way.

Lots of people like the Dekoni Fenestrated but they are expensive, and pretty good, but I don't like the bass.

Some like the Ori but it's expensive.

Are they modified in any way? What's the equipment, music preference? What are the issues with your sound?
the headphones are not modified, I noticed that they sound normal on my native velor, I listen on a stationary amplifier, the sound depends a lot on the fit and even on the force of pressing to the head, and so the sound can be good and sometimes it is stuck in the head with a smeared sound without details, it seems to me that the ear pads have exhausted themselves.

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #20,042 of 20,386
the headphones are not modified, I noticed that they sound normal on my native velor, I listen on a stationary amplifier, the sound depends a lot on the fit and even on the force of pressing to the head, and so the sound can be good and sometimes it is stuck in the head with a smeared sound without details, it seems to me that the ear pads have exhausted themselves.
Sounds liked the pads may be compressed. I actually opened them up, and added some batting in them and sewed them up. Results were better but nothing to get excited about - IMO.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #20,045 of 20,386
Hello, could you write the top 5 ear pads in your experience that are most suitable for the he500?
Sure.

1-5. DCA Ether Angled - balanced, wide soundstage esp. with rear screens off or well more open than stock.

99. ZMF Labmbskin Ori - chubby mid bass suppresses lower treble, very small soundstage. Bought it twice, hated it worse 2nd time.

Never liked any non angled pads. Don't like Fenestrated or fabric either - too much bass leak.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #20,046 of 20,386
Good evening! I want to make a mod grill, please tell me what should be the big holes in the grills so that there is an effect from the mod? And what other dimensions should the grid be?
If you go back on this thread you'll get your answers. You want it rigid and more open than stock. I have been using none for over 2.5 yrs with no negative issues. Just grasp them by the cup edges.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #20,048 of 20,386
Is it okay that dust gets there? Will the driver not die from this?
The magnets are very powerful - the screen and the fabric allow all sort of particles - cooking oils and magnetic particles among the worst to get through.

I keep all of my cans stored in an air tight plastic box with silica packs for any left over moisture. Planar speakers are very prone to air born pollution, so I take no chances.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #20,050 of 20,386
Please tell me, did you use dekoni elite perforated or regular leather ear cushions?
Dekoni fenestrated. Bass was too diffuse. Nicely made, comfy.

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #20,051 of 20,386
The magnets are very powerful - the screen and the fabric allow all sort of particles - cooking oils and magnetic particles among the worst to get through.

I keep all of my cans stored in an air tight plastic box with silica packs for any left over moisture. Planar speakers are very prone to air born pollution, so I take no chances.
Man, all of those particles and cooking oils. Is there to add more Sizzle to the music, man? LOL

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #20,052 of 20,386
Man, all of those particles and cooking oils. Is there to add more Sizzle to the music, man? LOL

Yes, I too have noticed dripping a little pre-warmed cooking oil on top the drivers helps to extend the highs and add a little sizzle/sparkle to the treble.

Since then, I just do it before each listening session. Canola oil sounds the best.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #20,053 of 20,386
Chuckle all you like - I had to have two Martin-Logan and one Magneplanar mylars replaced - at the factory. Mylar with heavy magnetics attract any particles with a charge including cooking oils.

Ego boys who like to display their expensive cans with mylar drivers and leave them out - many will find out over time why thats not such a great idea. Ignore experience at your peril.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #20,054 of 20,386
Chuckle all you like - I had to have two Martin-Logan and one Magneplanar mylars replaced - at the factory. Mylar with heavy magnetics attract any particles with a charge including cooking oils.

Ego boys who like to display their expensive cans with mylar drivers and leave them out - many will find out over time why thats not such a great idea. Ignore experience at your peril.
Hey Brother, we are not making fun of you. I apologize for any offense, I just saw the comment, and I tough we could make something fun out of it.

But that's good advice: keep them clean and away from anything that can destroy the drives. especially since they are no longer made.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #20,055 of 20,386
double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back