HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #19,936 of 20,386
Hello! I have such a situation, when I wanted to change the ear pads, I discovered a small hole in the driver, there are no problems with the sound, the sound is clear and the bass is not disturbed, and there is no imbalance. I wanted to ask whether there will be problems in the future because of that hole in the membrane?

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #19,938 of 20,386
Im glad to report my cobbled together HE500 are balanced. Attached is L/R with Dekoni ATH velour pads. btw I should have Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin arriving today.

Attachments

• 15A1338C-8C94-4EBC-9D0E-F486B759215E.jpeg
    15A1338C-8C94-4EBC-9D0E-F486B759215E.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #19,939 of 20,386
On the HE-500 I find the Ori to be a very poor match (to me). Increase in the bass, which is not needed, just increases mud in the bass; tamps down on the treble in the lower ranges below where the 500 needs help - want EQ, buy EQ. But the worst thing is the postage stamp sized soundstage. Assuming users have the rear screen off, the Ether Angled will routinely give you 140 degree wide stage on audiophile quality recordings, the Ori by comparison seems to be about 40 degrees. I bought an Ori about 4 years ago and didn't like it, then to be sure I was correct I bought one about 12-14 months ago and tested it quite a bit. Hated it worse.

More fans of the 500, 600, and 6 come out strong for the Ether Angled than the Ori. The 500 is a closed case IMO after 14 pad tests. On the 6* it could be the best, or second best, I haven't done enough testing yet. But so far the Ether is the best I've heard on them.

Hi Bagwell, I've been searching for your pad test post but can't seem to find it. Have you tried the auteur pads for the HE500 and how did it compare to the ether angle? I'm debating which to go with.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #19,940 of 20,386
Dekoni THX00 fenestrated sheepskin VS Dekoni ATH velour

I purchased the fenestrated sheepskin from Massdrop. The site's photo doesn't quite match the actual product. Im guessing there were some revisions. Even the photo on Dekoni's site is different from Massdrop's and different from the product I received.
- In comparison to Massdrop photo, mine has much smaller fenestration holes
- In comparison to Dekoni photo, mine uses a different foam
- In comparison to Dekoni ATH velour, the fenestrated sheepskin seal too well which causes bass bloom
The foam in my set is pretty much non-porous, which makes the fenestrations not all that different vs just a plain sheepskin pad. This was a waste of $$.

edit: Measurements are by FPC. EARS would show more bass. I prefer more bass than EARS considers neutral.

Attachments

• HE500 dekoni fs VS dekoni athv.jpg
    HE500 dekoni fs VS dekoni athv.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #19,941 of 20,386
Hi Bagwell, I've been searching for your pad test post but can't seem to find it. Have you tried the auteur pads for the HE500 and how did it compare to the ether angle? I'm debating which to go with.
No. I understand some people really like the Auteur pad on the 500.

I have pointed at the big review on on the 4 letter site - the HFM comparison of HE-6 pads. I took on the challenge on an initial set of 8. A few the same as the HE-6 review and what I had around. I then bought 4 more and had another loaned - all this over a 15 month period - 13 total pads.

The Ether Angled was in that first bunch and was vastly better - stock (did not undo the fuzzor) and perhaps even better modified than the others - including the Ori. I also had the good fortune to have a HE-6 6 screw lent to me twice during that period.

Additionally I had my HE-5LE and MD-4XX in hand, and towards the end of the testing added a HE-6 SE v1 and borrowed HE-560 v1.

Because of strong objections to my comments on the Ori I bought another one and listened on the 500 and 6 SE v1 for much longer than any of other runner- ups. For me the Ori was worse, much worse than I first noted. I still have it in case anyone I meet is up for a listening.

I did no measurements, and before I got serious with note taking - the superiority of the Ether was so immense that the exercise of a serious review went out the window.

Let me be very clear that the evenness of the response from top to bottom, the vast width of the soundstage, the very palpable sense of depth and instrumental space really dwarfed all comers. Of course it's but a subsection of all available pads. There is also of course a certain clarity I hear. I speculate it's because the pads cover the edges of the driver more than most - and the edge of the driver. Could it be the sound is detectable as arriving later? Enh. Or more distorted? Maybe or maybe something else - but I hear it.

Now, the twist is: it's better than other pads I tried on the all the other models I have used it on - but the difference isn't as vast. Meaning there is a better chance another pad could outperform the Ether Angled on these cans. The match with all my mods on the 500 is to me obviously notable and just a real treat to me.

Hard to classify where that sits vs say the impact of the HE-6 bass, or the greatness of the Susvara or Voce. Not as great but perhaps great in a small scale homey look what I found sort of way.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #19,942 of 20,386
No. I understand some people really like the Auteur pad on the 500.

I have pointed at the big review on on the 4 letter site - the HFM comparison of HE-6 pads. I took on the challenge on an initial set of 8. A few the same as the HE-6 review and what I had around. I then bought 4 more and had another loaned - all this over a 15 month period - 13 total pads.

The Ether Angled was in that first bunch and was vastly better - stock (did not undo the fuzzor) and perhaps even better modified than the others - including the Ori. I also had the good fortune to have a HE-6 6 screw lent to me twice during that period.

Additionally I had my HE-5LE and MD-4XX in hand, and towards the end of the testing added a HE-6 SE v1 and borrowed HE-560 v1.

Because of strong objections to my comments on the Ori I bought another one and listened on the 500 and 6 SE v1 for much longer than any of other runner- ups. For me the Ori was worse, much worse than I first noted. I still have it in case anyone I meet is up for a listening.

I did no measurements, and before I got serious with note taking - the superiority of the Ether was so immense that the exercise of a serious review went out the window.

Let me be very clear that the evenness of the response from top to bottom, the vast width of the soundstage, the very palpable sense of depth and instrumental space really dwarfed all comers. Of course it's but a subsection of all available pads. There is also of course a certain clarity I hear. I speculate it's because the pads cover the edges of the driver more than most - and the edge of the driver. Could it be the sound is detectable as arriving later? Enh. Or more distorted? Maybe or maybe something else - but I hear it.

Now, the twist is: it's better than other pads I tried on the all the other models I have used it on - but the difference isn't as vast. Meaning there is a better chance another pad could outperform the Ether Angled on these cans. The match with all my mods on the 500 is to me obviously notable and just a real treat to me.

Hard to classify where that sits vs say the impact of the HE-6 bass, or the greatness of the Susvara or Voce. Not as great but perhaps great in a small scale homey look what I found sort of way.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I guess I'll have to just grab a pair of both and give them a try. Even with a susvara, I still come back to the HE-500 more often than I would have thought.

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #19,943 of 20,386
Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I guess I'll have to just grab a pair of both and give them a try. Even with a susvara, I still come back to the HE-500 more often than I would have thought.
Oops. I did forget to repeat one thing. Much of the improvement with the Ether Angled I note is with no or a much finer mesh (much less metal, more air) then stock screens. In particular stage width and space/definition of instruments and a good deal less sense of added reverb.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #19,944 of 20,386
Oops. I did forget to repeat one thing. Much of the improvement with the Ether Angled I note is with no or a much finer mesh (much less metal, more air) then stock screens. In particular stage width and space/definition of instruments and a good deal less sense of added reverb. I deeply dislike the reverb in most closed backs.

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #19,945 of 20,386
Hello! I have a Hifiman he500 and an amplifier S-Focus Audio third version And the sound seems so dry and lit, I read the forum and all people are excited about the 500, but I have been listening to the 500 for a month and after my sen 650, I am disappointed with the 500, I hear the sound is worse and not interesting, the 650 is lively and interesting in sound, the melodic sound of the 650 cannot be removed from the head, and the 500 is not interesting, not lively and dry such a sound, maybe my amplifier does not extract the 500? Although the bass shows not bad depth, but I have a native velor, and some strange cable of an unknown conductor, maybe it is because of the cable and ear pads or because of the amplifier? Please help, I don't want to sell good headphones by mistake.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #19,946 of 20,386
HE5 tribute.jpg

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #19,947 of 20,386
Last time had HE-500 invoice dated 2013 something, guessing every unit starts to approach 10 years mark. Such a shame can't buy new one.

Even Hifiman made HE-500SE like HE6SE afraid it would be dynamically nerfed compared to OG as well.

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #19,948 of 20,386
Hello! I have a Hifiman he500 and an amplifier S-Focus Audio third version And the sound seems so dry and lit, I read the forum and all people are excited about the 500, but I have been listening to the 500 for a month and after my sen 650, I am disappointed with the 500, I hear the sound is worse and not interesting, the 650 is lively and interesting in sound, the melodic sound of the 650 cannot be removed from the head, and the 500 is not interesting, not lively and dry such a sound, maybe my amplifier does not extract the 500? Although the bass shows not bad depth, but I have a native velor, and some strange cable of an unknown conductor, maybe it is because of the cable and ear pads or because of the amplifier? Please help, I don't want to sell good headphones by mistake.
Try out the Velpads here: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/velpad-for-he400s.html
They add some warmth to the bass, and I like them better than the stock pads.

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #19,949 of 20,386
oops. Already answered

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #19,950 of 20,386
This software is run on Android correct? On a cell phone? I tried my 500 on my LG v40 - one of the best cells ever made for high quality headphones and they sound awful. There is nowhere near enough power. What power do you have by spec at 50 ohms?

If it's less than 2 wpc then you'd be the 5th person in this thread that did not heed HFM recommendations or those of those familiar with them. They also don't come alive until they play at a decently high SPL - say 80 db peak at least.

In my experience they easily better the 650 - in every way but timbre. Mods and EQ fix that for me.

The stock pads are not good and the stock cable is abominable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back