HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 11, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #19,831 of 20,386
Yeah I did try those velpads, excellent midrange and treble but they lack that last bit of sub bass extension I'm looking for. Still, I may just use those and experiment with EQ in the sub bass, the HE-500 does take very well to EQ in my experience.yup
For being open backs with no screens I add 2.4 db @ 38 Hz down. I've added 4 db below 25 Hz and no problem on the cans just not my style.

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #19,832 of 20,386
For my incoming HE-500, I have ZMF Ori pads, Velpads, regular stock HFM velour, and regular stock pleather pads.

Will do a pad throw down with these four and see what I think.

I have heard with Ori before and loved it - pretty sure those will be my favorite. A long time ago I had them with stock velour and remember enjoying that too for the extra airiness. Read here and other places about the velpads being good.

Not sure on stock pleather but think with my Ori's on hand those probably aren't the ones.

Should have them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #19,833 of 20,386
Keep in mind I'm not talking about the regular Focus Pads, I'm talking about the Focus Pad As. They're similar, but not the same.

We're talking about 1-3 dB difference at 10-30 Hz, so yes, it does "come close". And like I said, I would never choose that over complete tonality - not to mention that many songs roll off or even do a hard cut at these frequencies. The Asgard 3 has more than enough power for the HE-500, and you responding in a semi-rude manner (suggesting my equipment or my ears aren't good enough) isn't going to change my opinion on my pad choices.

Edit: This is the kind of difference we're dealing with here. I couldn't find any of my more recent measurements, but I have the regular focus pads vs. the vegans - the latter of which has a flat response just like the Ethers.

Blue is stock, yellow is the regular focus pads, purple is the vegans:

1-3 dB difference at 10-30 Hz. If that's what you want to place the emphasis on when choosing a pad, then by all means do so. I personally don't.
Not sure why you took this personally, I said nothing about your ears... the opposite, in fact. I am speaking from experience.

Previously, I was using my Marantz integrated with the HE-500 and followed a similar train of thought. Theoretically, when powering the HE-500, it should have a -3dB at 0.51Hz. I am sure this would show the same in measurements, but the reality is that the bass response in those lowest registers were rolled off. This was the same experience with the THX and entry Schiit amplifiers and DACs. I wasn't impressed with the bass response of the Ether angled until I changed my amplifier/source.

People seem to think that the HE-500 doesn't need a powerful amplifier, and while that might be true, it still benefits from a decent amount of quality power. The bass response of these pads is most noticeable when your amplifier gives the headphones the opportunity to show that. This can be said and is even more exaggerated with the HE-6.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #19,834 of 20,386
Not sure why you took this personally, I said nothing about your ears... the opposite, in fact. I am speaking from experience.

Previously, I was using my Marantz integrated with the HE-500 and followed a similar train of thought. Theoretically, when powering the HE-500, it should have a -3dB at 0.51Hz. I am sure this would show the same in measurements, but the reality is that the bass response in those lowest registers were rolled off. This was the same experience with the THX and entry Schiit amplifiers and DACs. I wasn't impressed with the bass response of the Ether angled until I changed my amplifier/source.

People seem to think that the HE-500 doesn't need a powerful amplifier, and while that might be true, it still benefits from a decent amount of quality power. The bass response of these pads is most noticeable when your amplifier gives the headphones the opportunity to show that. This can be said and is even more exaggerated with the HE-6.
I follow that path. Love planars. They love SS power, the more the merrier. The ones that can show detail will show you why Class A > all others. 500, 6, HEX v2, Arya, HEK, Susvara do not lie. Not heard XS long enough on big enough amp to add to the list, but its probable that it belongs.

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #19,835 of 20,386
For my incoming HE-500, I have ZMF Ori pads, Velpads, regular stock HFM velour, and regular stock pleather pads.

Will do a pad throw down with these four and see what I think.

I have heard with Ori before and loved it - pretty sure those will be my favorite. A long time ago I had them with stock velour and remember enjoying that too for the extra airiness. Read here and other places about the velpads being good.

Not sure on stock pleather but think with my Ori's on hand those probably aren't the ones.

Should have them tomorrow.
What does Guinan (Star Trek NG) say? "If I man thinks he's going to die tomorrow, he will probably figure out how to make it happen" or similar. Sounds like you pre-picked the winner.

I will just explain myself if I might.

I heard 12 different pads, chose the Ethers and that was it for 18 months. A contributor here spoke glowingly of the Ori's which I had written off in the original testing. So I bought it again, and given my taste they seemed worse then I remembered. I've kept them and installed them for others and yup they don't care for them either vs. the Ethers - but we tend to like the same stuff, so maybe that doesn't mean much.

Using a 4+ WPC amp, head to head not close to me. Take off the rear screens and the difference becomes larger. IMO Ori's mid bass is louder, and less defined (Q is higher than ideal),, the upper mids are muted, and the soundstage is small. On some elite recordings while the 500 stage isn't that high, I have heard a 135 degree wide stage which is very impressive for a planar. Better stage than the 6, way better than the 6SE v1 (both with screens off and Ethers installed) and same amp and dac.

Take a shot at what you have, try the Ethers if you get a chance. No matter which you like best is 100% cool/ And I do want to hear your findings.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #19,836 of 20,386
I loved the original velours way back when. They really did have a natural airiness to them that no other pads could replicate. Very unique sound IMO, I just can't go back to it now.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #19,837 of 20,386
@bagwell359

Haha, yeah I know it reads as if the decision has been made. That is because last time when listening to the 500 with the Ori pads, I felt like it was heavenly. That's not a word that comes into my vocabulary often when it comes to headphones. The mids were just so lush and liquid rich, the bass was impactful and super impressive to me for a planar, and the treble felt energetic and sparkly but not at all harsh. It was so enjoyable of a listen. I couldn't take them off my head nor did I feel like any tweak(s) needed to be done to it sound wise. I'm not sure if this was due in large part to the Ori pads though or if other pads will a give similar experience.

For me, I listen for pleasure. I don't care about what graphs say, but I understand some use them to get information. I must also say, I probably do like a little boost to mid bass so that may also be down my alley but not for everyone. Ultrasone's edition 8 has some mid and upper bass emphasis and it has always been a favorite of mine.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #19,838 of 20,386
@bagwell359

Haha, yeah I know it reads as if the decision has been made. That is because last time when listening to the 500 with the Ori pads, I felt like it was heavenly. That's not a word that comes into my vocabulary often when it comes to headphones. The mids were just so lush and liquid rich, the bass was impactful and super impressive to me for a planar, and the treble felt energetic and sparkly but not at all harsh. It was so enjoyable of a listen. I couldn't take them off my head nor did I feel like any tweak(s) needed to be done to it sound wise. I'm not sure if this was due in large part to the Ori pads though or if other pads will a give similar experience.

For me, I listen for pleasure. I don't care about what graphs say, but I understand some use them to get information. I must also say, I probably do like a little boost to mid bass so that may also be down my alley but not for everyone. Ultrasone's edition 8 has some mid and upper bass emphasis and it has always been a favorite of mine.
OK. But you feel in your experience that planars do not have bass equal to other technologies? I dont listen to closed backs as I find the bass tuning amped up, and the mids and highs dont bloom very well in terms of soundstage. I know 3 expensive counter examples. I listen to almost all planars. If I could afford estats, ribbons, and AMT's I'd listen to those too. I do have a HD-600, but that's a pure can lacking rear cover loaded bass.

Ive been modding equipment for about 45 years. Sometimes the results are spectacular, sometimes null or worse, usually a solid improvement. I sold my custom sub woofers, and later room improvements to others. Others have copied my speaker x-over mods, I just did a 500 here for someone about 5 weeks ago. He liked it.

Some drink what beer is available, others study the art of brewing and turn out all sorts of ales and stouts. The rich parade of life continues.

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #19,839 of 20,386
OK. But you feel in your experience that planars do not have bass equal to other technologies? I dont listen to closed backs as I find the bass tuning amped up, and the mids and highs dont bloom very well in terms of soundstage. I know 3 expensive counter examples. I listen to almost all planars. If I could afford estats, ribbons, and AMT's I'd listen to those too. I do have a HD-600, but that's a pure can lacking rear cover loaded bass.

Ive been modding equipment for about 45 years. Sometimes the results are spectacular, sometimes null or worse, usually a solid improvement. I sold my custom sub woofers, and later room improvements to others. Others have copied my speaker x-over mods, I just did a 500 here for someone about 5 weeks ago. He liked it.

Some drink what beer is available, others study the art of brewing and turn out all sorts of ales and stouts. The rich parade of life continues.
So for me the extension down low is typically really good with some planars but they tend to in my experience with most on the market (there are exceptions), lack some of the quantity of impact for mid to upper bass vs. dynamic driver headphones. So when I find a good quantity/quality bass + impact on a planar, it is exciting. For me, the Ultrasones I have show off a dynamic driver bass incredibly - where there is both impact, punch and speed. I adore the bass of the edition 8. The elex has a nice punch to them too. Even a lower cost 58X has decent punch.

I don't EQ my headphones at all and I know some say the planars do it with EQ, but I think generally planars have more lean bass compared to some dynamic drivers, again how they tune them out of the box without any EQ applied.

So I guess what I mean is something low cost like a 58X tends to have better impact in mid to upper bass vs. the way most planars are tuned to be quite flat and not raised in the bass area. I'm not quite sure why there are more V shape dynamic driver headphones than something like that on a planar but I presume it is something which is more difficult to achieve there due to the lack of examples on the marketplace.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #19,840 of 20,386
So opening comments on pads which I will be modifying the post as I listen:

1) Stock Pleather - Nope, they're okay but there is better.
2) Stock Velour - Yes. Very airy, crisp, more expansive open sound, exactly how I remember them. A great fit and not uncomfortable to me. I'm fine with them being more firm pads as it keeps the positioning and distance of the drivers from the ears uniform over time vs pads which soften and it changes the fit.
3) Velpads - More closed in compared to stock velour, not a fan of this fuzzy fleece material that feels like felt from elementary school. Not the same sound as stock velour as some claimed, and I don't find them more comfortable either. Sound is enjoyable, but again they don't have the same open-ness and also snap-iness as previous. The stock pads sound more crisp and defined to me.
4) Ori Pads - Not yet tried.

IMG_0726.jpg

Based on my previous audition of HE-500 with Ori, I recommend both stock velour and Ori pads for amazing sound.

Velour gets you crisp, expanded soundstage with amazing airy sound. Ori gets you fuller, more mid centric lush and creamy sound. Rich bass and mids with just the right amount of treble sparkle. Very good compliments to each other.

They sound so good with the $10 stock velour pads that I don't want to take those off...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #19,841 of 20,386
So for me the extension down low is typically really good with some planars but they tend to in my experience with most on the market (there are exceptions), lack some of the quantity of impact for mid to upper bass vs. dynamic driver headphones. So when I find a good quantity/quality bass + impact on a planar, it is exciting. For me, the Ultrasones I have show off a dynamic driver bass incredibly - where there is both impact, punch and speed. I adore the bass of the edition 8. The elex has a nice punch to them too. Even a lower cost 58X has decent punch.

I don't EQ my headphones at all and I know some say the planars do it with EQ, but I think generally planars have more lean bass compared to some dynamic drivers, again how they tune them out of the box without any EQ applied.

So I guess what I mean is something low cost like a 58X tends to have better impact in mid to upper bass vs. the way most planars are tuned to be quite flat and not raised in the bass area. I'm not quite sure why there are more V shape dynamic driver headphones than something like that on a planar but I presume it is something which is more difficult to achieve there due to the lack of examples on the marketplace.
Good write up. Yup I'm a New England "sound" guy as they said in the 60's and70's. Good bass, lean fast mid and upper bass, rich mids and treble no horn or piezo splatter and hardness in the treble.

So to me and a few others I find the 500 bass in 90- 160 Hz range a bit fat. So one of my subtle mods - dynamat damps vibrations so the bass is quicker and less tube like. The rest of it with some light handed EQ fits my profile nicely.

I agree many planars are lean in the mid bass. I dislike the LCD-2, Drop X00, and a lot of Sony products because to me the mid bass sounds like some kind of mahogany console stereo from 1959 and the treble is brutal on all of those to ( in different ways). The heaviest bass I can take is the LCD-4. It's colored a bit but it's lush and fast enough.

Well I'm glad we had this exchange. Take care.

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #19,842 of 20,386
I'm with you on X00 big time. Too boomy for me. I really am not a big fan of the Fostex cans for bass even though many swear by them.

I like it where you get the hit or slap and feel it but where the drivers are very fast so they recover right away. That's what you get in the Ed 8, speed and attack.

I listen to a lot of modern music and EDM so I really like that aggressive and exciting sound.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #19,843 of 20,386
Was never much into pad rolling and just didn’t like the original pads at all this goes for the HE-400 that did come first before I got the 500’s. For me the Focas A pads were just more comfortable and if it isn’t comfortable then just hard to listen too.
I have a bunch of headphones and I always seem to come back to the HE-500’s for reference.
So tried a bit of pad swapping. I will say I do like the the pads from my Ether-C’s quite a bit more than the Focas A pads and the Velpads from my HE-400S’s. The pads from my ZMF Verite were also very good but I think I liked the Ether pads more. I might have to get a pair of Alpha pads as the Alpha Dogs were one of the most comfortable pads I’ve had they were just like a big pillow nice.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #19,844 of 20,386
Was never much into pad rolling and just didn’t like the original pads at all this goes for the HE-400 that did come first before I got the 500’s. For me the Focas A pads were just more comfortable and if it isn’t comfortable then just hard to listen too.
I have a bunch of headphones and I always seem to come back to the HE-500’s for reference.
So tried a bit of pad swapping. I will say I do like the the pads from my Ether-C’s quite a bit more than the Focas A pads and the Velpads from my HE-400S’s. The pads from my ZMF Verite were also very good but I think I liked the Ether pads more. I might have to get a pair of Alpha pads as the Alpha Dogs were one of the most comfortable pads I’ve had they were just like a big pillow nice.

I'm not into pad rolling at all either for any other headphones. Always want stock pads so I get the intended sound. But when I tried a pair of 500's with Ori pads, my mind quickly changed on that. I'm still in love what I'm hearing with standard velour pads, have not even bothered to put the Ori's on them.

These 500 are seriously crazy good/impressive planars IMO. At $400? No competition. I never went high end planar like all those abyss you have - kinda wondering if this is feeding me a taste of that. I just don't hear the sound like these 500's on other planars I've tried. They're so lively, crisp, and fun. Imaging is fantastic too.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #19,845 of 20,386
I found a great alternative to the stock velour pads, the Beyer DT series pads. I took them off my TYGR 300R. They sound very similar to the stock velour, just as good bass and dynamics, maybe a little less bright, which for my tastes is perfect. But more importantly, they are much more comfortable. These pads don't have a dust cover for the driver though, so I put some really thin organza fabric from a previous grill mod and fitted them into the pad opening.

HE500-2.jpg

(Pads turned out purple in the photo, they're black in real life)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back