HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #19,576 of 20,386
Whilst I adore the lean, chocolaty tuning of the 500 I sometimes crave for a more articulate, defined and even more airy sound than the Sundara can deliver. So if the HD800/s can deliver that I am keen to check it out.
I haven't heard the Sundara, but as an owner of the HD800S and HE-500, I can assure you that the HD800S will bring you the articulate, analytical, and airy sound that you might be looking for. Then again, the HD800S only gets spot duty in my rotation on classical music listening sessions, even then it faces stiff competition from the HEKv1/Arya with these two when it comes to classical music; the HEKv1/Arya are definitely better all-rounders than the HD800S imo. Also, I have to disagree with you on the HE500's sounding lean. At least on my setup.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #19,577 of 20,386
Also, I have to disagree with you on the HE500's sounding lean. At least on my setup.
I know what you are saying. What I tried to describe was the wonderful immersive feeling I get when I put on the HE-500. Music just flows. Well-defined low end, beautiful smooth mids and a non-grainy, quite defined top and the very good coherence and timbre. It's not lean in the sense that it is loose, bumpy, congested or messy.

I'll see if I can find a good deal on a used set of HD800/s though I am also tempted by the Focal Clear.

So many options...

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #19,578 of 20,386
Thanks for your suggestions!

I have the both the velour and focus pads and I do prefer the velour pads. I have thought about the Clear but have been a bit reluctant as it is a bit out of my obtainable price bracket. The Elex is also receiving a lot of praise so that could be the compromise I am looking for. It’s difficult to get hold of here in Denmark so maybe a 2nd hand Clear is the easier option afterall. How would you say the Clear is different?
Vs the Elex, I heard a noticeable difference in the treble air frequencies with the Clear. It sounds both more extended to me and cleaner in the treble than the Elex. That is what ultimately made me choose the Clear over the Elex. Other than that, they are very similar from bass to midrange, both have the same dynamic bass impact. The Elex could be good enough if you don't listen to much classical or acoustic.

I see used Clears come up often here on the head-fi for sale forums.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #19,579 of 20,386
Vs the Elex, I heard a noticeable difference in the treble air frequencies with the Clear. It sounds both more extended to me and cleaner in the treble than the Elex. That is what ultimately made me choose the Clear over the Elex. Other than that, they are very similar from bass to midrange, both have the same dynamic bass impact. The Elex could be good enough if you don't listen to much classical or acoustic.

I see used Clears come up often here on the head-fi for sale forums.
Thanks for your input. Another very useful trait of the Focals is that they are easily driven as far as I gather. That puts them ahead of the HD800 in my world. My desktop is the Schiit Magni/Modi stack and for portable use or moving around the house and garden etc. powering the cans through something along the lines of a multigrain breadroll, a pickled cucumber or even a Audioquest Dragonfly could be marvellous.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #19,580 of 20,386
Here’s another Elex/Clear recommendation Henrik...but I guess you already knew that😛
Although an R70x/HD600/HD650 would be a nice companion for your HE500 as well👍

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #19,582 of 20,386
I personally think the Clear is a foolish headphone considering what one gets via the Elear/Elex (same headphone - different pads). If they were the same price, sure...but nahh here in Denmark we’re basically paying ford knows what for..an extra set of pads and the lower ohms..which makes it imperative that you actually find a decent amp/dap with a low output impedance. With the 80 ohms you get with the Elear/Elex it becomes way easier to avoid impedance humps in the bass.
Nahh get a cheap Elear/Elex and taylor the sound to fit your individual tastes via pads👍

Edith:
This is the most accurate Clear review I’ve read btw:
https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/reviews/focal-clear-and-clear-professional-studio-headphone-review/

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #19,583 of 20,386
get a cheap Elear/Elex and taylor the sound to fit your individual tastes via pads
I get what you're saying. Your reasoning makes sense so far as to acquiring the Focal Clear from new. Prices are evened out on the used market if buying a set of Elear and equipping them with new Clear pads in comparison with simply buying a 2nd hand Focal Clear. Minor net price difference. If the Elex was actually within reach on our continent let alone Denmark the case would be completely different. :) Maybe my beloved Sundara is actually the ideal companion to the HE-500 after all, price and availabilty considered. And so, back to square 1.

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #19,584 of 20,386
The Sundara is without a doubt a brilliant HE500 companion. I think people generally dismiss it on account of it’s pricier brethren...and well because it is so cheap compared to say a Focal or Beyer/Sennie flagship. The thing is..for my tastes at least, it is the best headphone out of the Sundara/Ananda/Arya line-up, smokes Audezes as well as being superior to something like a T1/HD800.
What you gain via a Focal is more forward mids...but if that is what you’re missing then why not opt for an R70x/HD600/HD650 instead?
Square one eh🤪

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #19,586 of 20,386
It’s really not about upgrading anymore than it’s about convincing yourself that you’ve got some great cans...and then let the music be the real magic:)
You can always keep on buying new headphones but if all you really achieve is a state of second-guessing and a never-ending comparison joust...why keep on going?
(This is just as must directed at myself btw😆)

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #19,587 of 20,386
It’s really not about upgrading anymore than it’s about convincing yourself that you’ve got some great cans...and then let the music be the real magic:)
You can always keep on buying new headphones but if all you really achieve is a state of second-guessing and a never-ending comparison joust...why keep on going?
You're SO right!

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #19,588 of 20,386
HAHA, this is the most accurate statement I have read on Head-fi, or any other audio forum. Because it's exactly what I am guilty of!
I miss the days when I was a teen and I just used some Sony clip on earphones for all my music listening. I didn't care about the sound quality, I just got lost in the music!

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #19,589 of 20,386
HAHA, this is the most accurate statement I have read on Head-fi, or any other audio forum. Because it's exactly what I am guilty of!
I miss the days when I was a teen and I just used some Sony clip on earphones for all my music listening. I didn't care about the sound quality, I just got lost in the music!
Those were indeed the days. I also remember my first walkman with awful headphones. But I forgot about everything and immersed myself in the music.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #19,590 of 20,386
What's an available alternative to the HE500? Looking to complement my Ananda with something warm like a blanket that I can relax to (sometimes the Ananda's detail is too much for me, especially when multitasking, lmao) and it seems like the HE500s would've fit the bill if I could buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back