HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 22, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #19,351 of 20,386
Is it still possible to get Lohb straps nowadays? Currently I'm just dealing with the weight of my HE-500, but was always curious with other options. I bought a ZMF pilot pad which works fine enough, but I don't like how I have to extend the yokes fully to put them on and get them on my head.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #19,353 of 20,386
Torn between getting an HE-500 used or the latest iteration of the Sundara? Comfort aside, has anyone compared these two? From what I’ve read so far, the sound signature is different but I can’t seem to find an answer as to how they differ.

To me, the Sundara is probably 90% of what the HE-500 is. If you can't get an HE-500, the Sundara comes close to capturing the magic. The biggest differences to me are the HE-500's bass extends a little bit lower, with a little more power, and the treble on the HE-500 is a bit more even. The treble could reasonably be described as just on the warm side of neutral for both, but the Sundara has a little bit of a spike in the 4k-ish region. It's not really a problem to me, and doesn't make the headphone harsh or unpleasant, but it is note-worthy.

If you can readily get an HE-500, I don't see any reason to go for the Sundara. Great, great headphone no doubt, but the HE-500 is a juggernaut.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #19,354 of 20,386
Torn between getting an HE-500 used or the latest iteration of the Sundara? Comfort aside, has anyone compared these two? From what I’ve read so far, the sound signature is different but I can’t seem to find an answer as to how they differ.

I had both for a while. The Sundara is a bit more treble focused, so there's more "air" and a better feeling to the instrument separation. It also felt faster. The 500s have a bit more warmth and weight to the bass and mids, which I liked more. I had moments where I felt the Sundara were a bit too analytical for me compared to the 500. The Sundara's design and weight savings plus the fact that it takes less power to drive are pretty good, though.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #19,355 of 20,386
I am still using the cumbersome stock cable with my HE500 although I had the SE plug replaced with XLR so that I can enjoy them with the RME ADI-2 DAC & Violectric V280 amp. I have often wondered what the HE500 would sound like with a cable upgrade. I recently bought an OFC silver coated litz cable for my HD650 and I'm blown away how much better those cans sound. Not sure if such a cable works for the HE500 though. Any upgrade cables that work well with the HE500?

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #19,357 of 20,386
I am still using the cumbersome stock cable with my HE500 although I had the SE plug replaced with XLR so that I can enjoy them with the RME ADI-2 DAC & Violectric V280 amp. I have often wondered what the HE500 would sound like with a cable upgrade. I recently bought an OFC silver coated litz cable for my HD650 and I'm blown away how much better those cans sound. Not sure if such a cable works for the HE500 though. Any upgrade cables that work well with the HE500?
My own experiments suggest heavy gauge (around 20 awg) copper works best .

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #19,358 of 20,386
I had both for a while. The Sundara is a bit more treble focused, so there's more "air" and a better feeling to the instrument separation. It also felt faster. The 500s have a bit more warmth and weight to the bass and mids, which I liked more. I had moments where I felt the Sundara were a bit too analytical for me compared to the 500. The Sundara's design and weight savings plus the fact that it takes less power to drive are pretty good, though.

Based on your experience, how much power is needed to drive the HE-500 well? Using its specs, it should theoretically work well with 1.5W per channel.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #19,359 of 20,386
I’ve tried the 500 over amps with 250 mW, 1 W, 5 W and a stereo amp that put out way more juice at the 38 ohm mark...it sounds the same out of them all if you can’t see what’s playing.
If you look at them whilst listening you’re most likely going to hear subtle differences...that’s basically how our brains work.
But yeah to answer you question: most amps on the market will drive the 500 beautifully...but it also has to do with your listening level of course. If you listen loudly or perhaps own a lot of older recordings that are quieter than your average track/album, then you may want to invest in an amp with a little oomph...like fx a Magni.
Anyhoo...you’re on Head-Fi and bound to get a lot of folks claiming that with more power comes great responsibility!!...nahh that came out wrong...better sound quality!! I do have my doubts as to whether they actually perform a controlled listening test in order to find out what they can hear.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #19,360 of 20,386
I’ve tried the 500 over amps with 250 mW, 1 W, 5 W and a stereo amp that put out way more juice at the 38 ohm mark...it sounds the same out of them all if you can’t see what’s playing.
If you look at them whilst listening you’re most likely going to hear subtle differences...that’s basically how our brains work.
But yeah to answer you question: most amps on the market will drive the 500 beautifully...but it also has to do with your listening level of course. If you listen loudly or perhaps own a lot of older recordings that are quieter than your average track/album, then you may want to invest in an amp with a little oomph...like fx a Magni.
Anyhoo...you’re on Head-Fi and bound to get a lot of folks claiming that with more power comes great responsibility!!...nahh that came out wrong...better sound quality!! I do have my doubts as to whether they actually perform a controlled listening test in order to find out what they can hear.
Awesome! Thanks for this insight. Pulled the trigger on the HE-500 I have been looking at.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #19,361 of 20,386
Awesome! Thanks for this insight. Pulled the trigger on the HE-500 I have been looking at.

As someone who also recently picked up an HE-500 I'm still loving them. A lot in common with the DT 1990s and Elegias I already have but there's just something 'more' to the mids in particular and overall presence that is very satisfying. Great headphones.

Oct 26, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #19,362 of 20,386

Welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll enjoy them, they're true gems that has stood the test of time.

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #19,363 of 20,386
Now do yourself a favor and drive them from the speakers taps of a nice integrated amp of your choice (for ultimate performance) and never look back.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #19,365 of 20,386

Yes, the 500 is beluga caviar cheap, and the Sundara is a can one would say "good value", "nice" about. There isn't anything the Sundara is better at except being more efficient with amp power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back